Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

md63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I saw this stand (Belkin FlipBlade) at a local Apple store and picked it up for $29. I haven't been able to find anything on line about it (even on the Belkin site) but I thought I'd post a few pictures. I have been using the Compass stand when I'm traveling, however, I do like this stand because its seems more stable and won't collapse like the Compass has a tendency to when you move it around. The downside of this stand is that it doesn't have a typing position. My iPad with Grip Vue case fit well in the stand. Enjoy.

Attachments

• P1060499.jpg
    P1060499.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 307
  • P1060501.jpg
    P1060501.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 580
  • P1060502.jpg
    P1060502.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 246
  • P1060503.jpg
    P1060503.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 235
  • P1060504.jpg
    P1060504.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 292

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
This is definitely the most compact and best looking stand I have seen yet. Doesn't look like it was made for keyboard entry position, besides laying the iPad on the unit at a slight angle from the first image like the above poster mentioned.

md63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
After using this stand for a few days I really like it better than the compass stand from twelve south because it's more stable. It doesn't have a typing position however for short notes I have no problem typing in the docked position. I'm actually not a big fan of the traditional typing position because I tend to hunch over the keyboard and find it uncomfortable. For extensive typing I'm using a cheap USB keyboard which works great with the camera connection kit..

Apple is now listing it for sale on their website.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2651VC/A?mco=MTkyNzMwMzc

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
I'm definitely warming to this stand - looks as if it could be ideal for a travelling iPad. Downside - if it's anything like the Griffin Loop it won't appear in the UK until Xmas at the earliest.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Having bought my first one about 3 weeks go...and then having gone back to buy 2 more...AND having purchased a number of other stands including the Compass, the A-Frame and a variety of stands/cases...for my purposes and use (travelling), this stand cannot be beat.

Compact, stable, easy to set up...Love it.

HIGHLY recommended.

pm41m

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
$19.99 at Best Buy (none in my local stores, ordered online but backordered for 1-2 weeks) vs. $29.95 at the Apple Store.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
a couple questions to those who have this stand:

1) how much does it weigh?

2) will it fit an iPad in the Apple case?

looking for stand to use on flights; considering this or the Compass...

thanks

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I've got a FlipBlade and I like it as a travel stand, although I might get something a bit sturdier/heavier for my desk as a docking station.

I just wanted to add that if you have a silicon skin on your iPad, the FlipBlade in its closed position makes an okay screen typing stand. It's a bit unstable as a typing stand and it's not the perfect angle but it's way better than laying the iPad flat. The friction between my silicon case and the stand is what holds it in place though in the typing position, so it probably would not work without the case. I think the Compass is slightly better for typing but less stable while standing so it's sort of a trade off. What the FlipBlade really works well for though is a portable stand for showing photos, watching media, or typing with a bluetooth keyboard.

Last edited:

MXSkier62

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Would you say that this stand would be good thing to throw in a backpack? It would give the ipad a bit more of the normal angle of a laptop for viewing documents etc while writing in a notebook. Thoughts?

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
It's perfect for throwing into a backpack. I just used it today. Threw it in my bag with the iPad and a bluetooth keyboard (it's still way lighter than carrying my 13" Aluminum MacBook) and set it all up at a cafe and got a lot of work done. Viewing angle is perfect for either portrait or landscape.

I don't think it's the perfect stand for my desk at home though because I can't slide the keyboard under it while the iPad is not in use. I kind of want one of these, or
these on my desk since they elevate the iPad and there should be room to put a keyboard under it, but I'd definitely never carry something like that to a cafe.

So yeah, the FlipBlade seems pretty good as a travel stand.

It was interesting writing on an iPad today with just iWork on the screen and no other windows in the background distracting me (sorry, off topic).

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
a couple questions to those who have this stand:

1) how much does it weigh?

2) will it fit an iPad in the Apple case?

looking for stand to use on flights; considering this or the Compass...

thanks

Go with the Compass. It's ultra portable and very functional.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
The compass was $10 more and less stable. It looks really cool but in the end I didn't feel like it was practical for me, especially since the bluetooth keyboard has no home button substitute and pressing the home button almost always knocked the iPhone down when I tried it.

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
I've got a FlipBlade and I like it as a travel stand, although I might get something a bit sturdier/heavier for my desk as a docking station.

I just wanted to add that if you have a silicon skin on your iPad, the FlipBlade in its closed position makes an okay screen typing stand. It's a bit unstable as a typing stand and it's not the perfect angle but it's way better than laying the iPad flat. The friction between my silicon case and the stand is what holds it in place though in the typing position, so it probably would not work without the case. I think the Compass is slightly better for typing but less stable while standing so it's sort of a trade off. What the FlipBlade really works well for though is a portable stand for showing photos, watching media, or typing with a bluetooth keyboard.

I have the Vaja Mamut iVolution case, and am wondering if the "shelf" of the FlipBlade would be wide enough to hold my iPad without having to remove the back.

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
I can try to measure it for you if you want. How thick is the iPad with the case on?
It's close to 1/2" but not quite.

Is there a little leeway when you put the iPad on it, or is it a snug fit? I'm thinking if there's even a little extra space, it'll work.

Thank you! : )

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
The downside of this stand is that it doesn't have a typing position. My iPad with Grip Vue case fit well in the stand. Enjoy.

I think for typing you would flip the stand so the curved side rests on the table and the flat side is up. I think I saw a pic if it this way on their website. Does this work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.