Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I think for typing you would flip the stand so the curved side rests on the table and the flat side is up. I think I saw a pic if it this way on their website. Does this work?

Yes, it does...

I'm pretty fickle with iPad accessories...but I have to say that this is a "must-have" for me. Still love it.

When I used the Compass, I felt like it was a big production getting it out and setting it up. It felt "fussy" and too involved. The Flipblade is SO compact, and with one button, deploys in an instant.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Yes, it does...

I'm pretty fickle with iPad accessories...but I have to say that this is a "must-have" for me. Still love it.

When I used the Compass, I felt like it was a big production getting it out and setting it up. It felt "fussy" and too involved. The Flipblade is SO compact, and with one button, deploys in an instant.

Thanks for the confirmation. I think I'll have to pick one up too.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks for the confirmation. I think I'll have to pick one up too.

I think you'll definitely like it.

The interesting thing is that, upon reading about it in this thread, I tried to find a local Apple store that carried it. I found it at the Apple Store at The Grove in Los Angeles.

After purchasing one, I ended up going back twice to purchase two more, and each time, I found fewer and fewer on display (they evidently became popular very quickly), and saw people "drawn" to them...checking them out.

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Would someone please tell me if there is any extra room once the iPad is in place on the shelf? I'd like to know if my iPad with the iVolution back would fit on it. Thank you.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Would someone please tell me if there is any extra room once the iPad is in place on the shelf? I'd like to know if my iPad with the iVolution back would fit on it. Thank you.

It fits NO PROBLEM with my TPU case. I have no idea how thick the iVolution case is...or how much bulk it adds to the iPad.

The best thing you could do is try it out at the store, or order it online and return it if it doesn't work for you.

...There's no reason to get nasty simply because you feel you were "deprived" of attention in this thread. Did it ever occur to you that, perhaps, none of us have any experience with Ivolution cases, and wouldn't want to give you incorrect information?????

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Picked up the stand at Target ($29.99) tonight and so far it works great. One thing I have noticed is that there is a slight wobble when I flip it to type on because my case is a little bit curved in the back. i would highly recommend this stand.

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
It fits NO PROBLEM with my TPU case. I have no idea how thick the iVolution case is...or how much bulk it adds to the iPad.

The best thing you could do is try it out at the store, or order it online and return it if it doesn't work for you.

...There's no reason to get nasty simply because you feel you were "deprived" of attention in this thread. Did it ever occur to you that, perhaps, none of us have any experience with Ivolution cases, and wouldn't want to give you incorrect information?????

Wow, I'm amazed that I came across as nasty. I did put a smiley face after my "thank you," but I see it didn't make it onto my post. Still, I certainly wasn't feeling "deprived of attention" on this thread -- more like anxious because this sounded like a great stand. My first 2 posts were directed to j-a-x and were written two days ago. He didn't respond, hence my third post today -- which I wrote right after reading YOUR post which made it sound like these things were fantastic and selling like hotcakes. Anyway, I'm sorry if I came across as being nasty to you (or anyone else).

I did go to Apple today, and actually bought two of these. My iPad with the iVolution back (which is a little less than 1/2" combined, as stated in my previous post) fit just fine.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Wow, I'm amazed that I came across as nasty. I did put a smiley face after my "thank you," but I see it didn't make it onto my post. Still, I certainly wasn't feeling "deprived of attention" on this thread -- more like anxious because this sounded like a great stand. My first 2 posts were directed to j-a-x and were written two days ago. He didn't respond, hence my third post today -- which I wrote right after reading YOUR post which made it sound like these things were fantastic and selling like hotcakes. Anyway, I'm sorry if I came across as being nasty to you (or anyone else).

I did go to Apple today, and actually bought two of these. My iPad with the iVolution back (which is a little less than 1/2" combined, as stated in my previous post) fit just fine.

Thanks. man. I'm sorry I "reacted." We're good? :)

Glad to hear it fits with the iVolution. Now I know!

I have to say that I have tried just about every major stand out there...both separate...and stands that are actually cases...and I do love this one.

Sorry again. :)

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
My first 2 posts were directed to j-a-x and were written two days ago. He didn't respond, hence my third post today

Oops, sorry I forgot to check this thread this weekend. Seems like everything worked out though.

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Thanks. man. I'm sorry I "reacted." We're good? :)

Glad to hear it fits with the iVolution. Now I know!

I have to say that I have tried just about every major stand out there...both separate...and stands that are actually cases...and I do love this one.

Sorry again. :)

LOL, no worries...except I'm a guuuurl...well, an old broad. : )

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
just to recap, how wide is the slot in the FlipBlade where it holds the iPad?

still wondering if it will fit an iPad in the original Apple case, with the case cover folded back - maybe slightly more than 1/2" on the hinge side

not sure if an earlier answer about it fitting the case was about the Apple one or the iVolution one someone else was asking about...

thanks!

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I measured the slot at 1.5 cm = 0.590551181 inches. :)

It is surrounded by rubber though so you might be able to squeeze something a bit bigger into it.

I used it today in my lab on my desk setup next to my MacBook and a big external monitor. I really felt like I was in some kind of a command center there with the iPad on one side on the stand for reading PDFs and my laptop next to it :)

For typing on the iPad I didn't even close it, I just took the iPad out of the stand and rested it again the lip where the slot is, and I was able to type pretty well with good stability, but part of the reason it worked so well was I have the iPhone in a silicon skin which provides enough friction for it to be stable like that.

Here's a picture of my iPad in the FlipBlade with a keyboard.
ipadvsmacbook.jpg

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
just to recap, how wide is the slot in the FlipBlade where it holds the iPad?

still wondering if it will fit an iPad in the original Apple case, with the case cover folded back - maybe slightly more than 1/2" on the hinge side

not sure if an earlier answer about it fitting the case was about the Apple one or the iVolution one someone else was asking about...

thanks!

The slot is right at 1/2" - 9/16". Sorry, I don't have the Apple case, so don't know if it would fit or not. It's a perfect fit with my iVolution case -- I don't have to force it, but there's really no wiggle room left either.

Edited to add: Oops, I see j-a-x was answering you the same time I was. His measurement sounds much more accurate, so I will defer to him. : )

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
I measured the slot at 1.5 cm = 0.590551181 inches. :)

It is surrounded by rubber though so you might be able to squeeze something a bit bigger into it.

Thanks j-a-x and mgg for taking the time to measure it. Much appreciated!

A quick look at my iPad in Apple case shows about 1.5cm thick at the dock connector end including the flap folded back, although with a bit of compressibility so probably ok

In landscape orientation the thickness without trying to compress the hinge (thickest side) it's about 1.8-1.9 cm but looks like it can be compressed easily to 1.5cm

I'm guessing it may just fit - I wonder if the local Apple stores have these in stock yet to check for sure?

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
My Apple store had it in stock (that's where I got it).

Nice thing about this case is it's easy to open the packaging, try it out, and put it back before Apple reps see you and tell you not to open it. :) Otherwise I probably would not have bought it.

The Compass on the other hand... I had to purchase that one, try it, and then return it (I got caught and it was nearly impossible to open the packaging discretely).

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
The Apple Store at The Grove in Los Angeles has had them for about a month. The Apple Store in the Manhattan Village Mall, and on Third Street Promenade (Santa Monica) still do not have it in stock, as far as I can tell.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
My Apple store had it in stock (that's where I got it).

Nice thing about this case is it's easy to open the packaging, try it out, and put it back before Apple reps see you and tell you not to open it. :) Otherwise I probably would not have bought it.

The Compass on the other hand... I had to purchase that one, try it, and then return it (I got caught and it was nearly impossible to open the packaging discretely).

that's good to know, thanks again. hopefully one of the Apple Stores here in Vancouver have it. I notice the Concierge there now use iPads in the Apple case, perhaps I can ask him a favour to see if it fits.

with the various comments about the Compass, I'm pretty well decided against that one...

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
update to my previous post:

the iPad in the Apple original case DOES* fit in the Belkin FlipBlade

* it fits perfectly in portrait orientation, and also in landscape orientation with the hinge-side of the case at top.
With the hinge-side of the case at bottom, it will fit on the stand but you need to gently compress that edge of the case a bit first. so it does fit that way, but not really any room to spare.
Or you can just rest the hinge-side of the iPad case on top of the stand's slot, but obviously not quite as secure that way

I picked one up today at the Apple Store. The sales guy kindly let me open the package and try it before deciding to purchase it (he too was interested to see if it fit). great service there, as always.

I like the compact size and light weight of the FlipBlade, it'll be good for travel. I saw the Compass there and it seemed quite heavy by comparison (in the package, I didn't try it out). Thanks again for all the earlier comments in this thread - helped me decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.