Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
When you’re taking a photo of a document how far away from the document are you? The iPhone might be thinking you’re trying to take a macro picture but the macro camera focus distance is much further on the 14 Pro than 13 Pro. Maybe try enabling the toggle for manual macromode in camera settings.

I don’t know exactly at what distance it is. There is a big lag overall in iPhone’s 14 Pro Max cameras. It is not related to the Macro mode though, I know because I had already toggled the setting previous to that.

Torley

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
@GeoStructural Thanks for raising this. It's not just you. I want to validate your concerns and chime in, since others are reporting it too. Where autofocus at a distance of several feet or further (NOT macro several inches away) is not responding as quickly as expected. I've done some cases like trying to record video of cats jumping around where earlier iPhones didn't have an issue, but I'm seeing lag to catch up with the 14 Pro Max. Been trying to repro it more.

I've noticed it as well after upgrading from a previous iPhone, it's definitely behaving a lot more sluggishly. I wonder if an update fix can help and if it's specifically defective units.

There were some camera issues addressed in an earlier update, but not this.

• Love
Reactions: GeoStructural

kelvinktl

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
I noticed the issue when I was taking photo of a document using the main camera in both raw and Live Photo mode on my iPhone 14 pro max. (See attached)

For those who want to test their phones, try and take a photo of some wordy document and see if have the same findings. You might end up seeing what I’m seeing - the only part that’s in focus is the centre part, everything else is just blurry.

I went to a store to test other iPhone pro 14s on display - same finding so I am guessing it’s firmware issue.

Attachments

• C4175FEC-CF8E-4ACC-A6E8-B298C2F7E3FB.jpeg
    C4175FEC-CF8E-4ACC-A6E8-B298C2F7E3FB.jpeg
    734.9 KB · Views: 343
  • C4175FEC-CF8E-4ACC-A6E8-B298C2F7E3FB.jpeg
    C4175FEC-CF8E-4ACC-A6E8-B298C2F7E3FB.jpeg
    734.9 KB · Views: 340

xas

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
Thanks for showing this problem! I have this with my regular 14 pro. Did a lot of testing, sharpness of the main camera is good only in the center, blurry parts around. My old XR is so much better in comparison.

airb330

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2012
I just took a bunch of portrait photos of my dog and notified they seemed blurry-ish. Went back and frankly the photos from my iPhone 12 Pro (from last week) look better than the iPhone 14 pro. Not 10x better or anything but they do look a little crisper. Considering the camera bump is sifnicsntlt larger than the 12 pro, it’s surprising. Even taking photos it feels slower and I’m finding that I’m retaking photos a lot because they don’t look good. Googled and brought me to this thread. Can this be firmware?

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
I noticed the issue when I was taking photo of a document using the main camera in both raw and Live Photo mode on my iPhone 14 pro max. (See attached)

For those who want to test their phones, try and take a photo of some wordy document and see if have the same findings. You might end up seeing what I’m seeing - the only part that’s in focus is the centre part, everything else is just blurry.

I went to a store to test other iPhone pro 14s on display - same finding so I am guessing it’s firmware issue.
that's just how lenses work, it's basic optics, not an "issue"

xas

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
In my case, the main lens is noticably less sharp (except for center) compared to my iPhone XR. First i thought i did not focus correctly, but it‘s not. I hope that i just got a lemon (that can happen when buying lenses for DSLR as well), otherwise the 48 MP and the low light quality are great. I don‘t think, thats how the lens is supposed to work. Not to be confused with the depth of focus.

airb330

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2012
What’s the solution here? I’m stuck with the phone as I traded my 12 pro in right at the AT&T store. Photos can look great but there is something actually wrong with the autofocus. There’s no reason why my non tech husband even mentioned his photos are blurrier with his new phone and his phone has issues scanning barcodes with apps.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I agree. My 14 PM has some serious focusing issues as well. It also tries to force macro when not within macro range. I can try taking a pic of something 12-18 inches away, and the stupid phone will still switch to macro. I turned on the manual macro to help this and now notice how much yellower macro photos are when compared to the main lens. I was playing with the macro button the other day when trying to capture something printed on legal-size paper. I was at least a foot away, yet it triggered macro (which, according to the specs, shouldn't happen until closer than 8"). Anyway, macro on was noticeably yellow compared to switching to the main lens. I am very disappointed with the cameras on this phone. I upgraded from a 12 Pro and was taking better pictures with that phone.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
What’s the solution here? I’m stuck with the phone as I traded my 12 pro in right at the AT&T store. Photos can look great but there is something actually wrong with the autofocus.

I don’t know. The latest update only improved things marginally, autofocus problems persist. My 14 day return period is way passed too. I will give it one or two more update and contact Apple again about hardware change.

airb330

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2012
I don’t know. The latest update only improved things marginally, autofocus problems persist. My 14 day return period is way passed too. I will give it one or two more update and contact Apple again about hardware change.
Amazing how many people on this forum go out of their way to be unhelpful and Stan for Apple. Good god it’s unbearable. If my husband can notice this then anyone can 😂 So maybe it’s hardware related and limited to a small amount of phones? I’m baffled how anyone can’t see this issue.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Amazing how many people on this forum go out of their way to be unhelpful and Stan for Apple. Good god it’s unbearable. If my husband can notice this then anyone can 😂 So maybe it’s hardware related and limited to a small amount of phones? I’m baffled how anyone can’t see this issue.
I agree. You also get a large number of dislikes, sarcastic responses or downright invitation to leave the forums if you dare disagree with anything Apple does. To them Apple can do no wrong.

Reactions: Vazor

xas

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
As an example (see attachment): left quarter of A4 paper, main camera 12 MP (F1.78 iPhone 14 vs F1.8 iPhone XR). I compared with different iPhones: sharpness of XR, 12, 13, 14 was consistent and flawless. Other iPhone 14 P/PM not flawless but better than my iPhone 14. Ultra wide lens and tele lens are not affected.

Attachments

• iphone_camera_comparison.jpg
    iphone_camera_comparison.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 264

ken840

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2018
Same problem here, iPhone 14 Pro, I took better scans and very close subject (not macro) pictures with my old iPhone 12 Pro Max, also that camera was very consistent focusing every single time. How is it possible that reviewers and most people didn't realize this in a month's time?

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I would imagine the front facing camera might have focusing issues because people are always touching the “dynamic island” now with their greasy fingers, but it seems y’all are talking about the back facing cameras. This is this first time I’ve heard of any focus issues. None of my friends who have the 14 Pro have experienced this problem. But obviously others have. So perhaps not a software issue then? Maybe just a bad batch? My iPhone 14 Pro Max is on order. I use my iPhone Pro as my main camera now, so I will definitely check it out & post if I experience any issues.

xas

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
I mentioned my problem with the sharpness of the main rear camera. But I would like to add that for me it's also difficult to focus the right object (close/far away) with the main rear camera. In many photos the main camera ignored my selected focus point. I didn't experienced this with the tele lens. I hope the next updates will improve at least the focus.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Same problem here, far away shots, but didn’t think it was a problem. Just a different dynamic of the camera having updated technology and focusing differently than previous generations

Bought an iPhone 11 recently, and while it lacks the telephoto lens, it focuses as I remember my old 11 pro did. Not returning the 14 pro max as I’m past the return period, and not getting it replaced or serviced since it functions as I expect with exception of the minor focusing inconvenience.

It is surprising though, and would like to know if anyone replacing their phone does fix the issue or have a 14 pro/max that focuses like previous generations

kelvinktl

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
that's just how lenses work, it's basic optics, not an "issue"
If that’s the case how come photos look perfectly fine on my iPhone 13 Pro? Things are sharp. Even an Apple Store staff was surprised that her iPhone 12 Pro shoots better photo.

I understand corner sharpness isn’t easy to achieve, but this is definitely something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

kelvinktl

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
As an example (see attachment): left quarter of A4 paper, main camera 12 MP (F1.78 iPhone 14 vs F1.8 iPhone XR). I compared with different iPhones: sharpness of XR, 12, 13, 14 was consistent and flawless. Other iPhone 14 P/PM not flawless but better than my iPhone 14. Ultra wide lens and tele lens are not affected.
This is my exact findings as well!

yepp

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2018
Yes, same observation here. I have 14PM and my friend has 14P. We both notice the focus issue on the main camera. I‘s very annoying, to say the least.

Motnos

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2022
Looks like this is a common problem and Apple are unwilling to replace the phones as the hardware diagnostic they use shows no problems.

However, if you sign up to a monthly AppleCare+ subscription they will carry out an express replacement no questions asked.

I tried to get it for free but they weren't having it.

You get 60 days from activation to purchase AppleCare, so don't leave it too late!

Reactions: kelvinktl

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
This happens only with the rear camera, but it is pervasive in all modes (photo, video, slow-mo, etc.).

I took a photo of document and went my way only to realize later that I could not even read it, it was so blurry.

I have more examples but don’t want to post them for privacy reasons.

I noticed too that only one part of my photos are in focus and most of the edges are super blurry, I get this is nice for artistic reasons but in other contexts I need to capture the whole thing, this is not a portrait machine.
My 13 Pro was like that. I thought it was an issue that would be corrected with a software update. I was wrong. My iPhone was defective.

Reactions: bruinsrme

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I mentioned my problem with the sharpness of the main rear camera. But I would like to add that for me it's also difficult to focus the right object (close/far away) with the main rear camera. In many photos the main camera ignored my selected focus point. I didn't experienced this with the tele lens. I hope the next updates will improve at least the focus.
Ok yeah I’m having this problem. If there’s any slight bit of dirt on a window or an object closer I can’t take a photo through it or past it. My camera only focuses on the dirt or in one case, a beaded curtain. Fortunately I had my Samsung with me to get certain pictures on my recent trip that my 14 Pro Max camera refused to take.

All the other problems described like laggy and poor focus and focus hunting were problems I had from start to finish on my 13 Pro. I went to an iPhone 11 for other reasons so I never tried to get it fixed. My 14 Pro Max usually works as expected.

Reactions: OnePersona
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.