Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Oh wow, I get this same issue. Until this post, I never tried to charge my Max directly with the lightning port, just wirelessly. With USB accessories turned ON, I plug it in and leave it for about a minute or two, then it'll register and start charging. With USB accessories turned OFF, it won't charge at all.

Gogol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
The Netherlands
Oh wow, I get this same issue. Until this post, I never tried to charge my Max directly with the lightning port, just wirelessly. With USB accessories turned ON, I plug it in and leave it for about a minute or two, then it'll register and start charging. With USB accessories turned OFF, it won't charge at all.
Are we supposed to do the testing?
I connected my iPhone to my iMac and indeed after a few minutes!!! the iPhone starts charging, with or without USB accessories turned on.
But with the included charger the iPhone screen stays black until I tap the screen (have to wait for at least 20 seconds doing that). This is not how I want to use my iPhone.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
Mine is doing this too

I wonder if it is a software issue and can be fixed in an update?
[doublepost=1538194281][/doublepost]
Are you guys charging from a pc/mac? Try charging it directly from the charger and see what happens.

Settings>Face ID & Passcode>USB Accessories then enable it.
This doesn't work
[doublepost=1538196129][/doublepost]
Here's the Apple support doc on it: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208857

I think the toggle is confusing. By default it's off....which means that it will prevent USB access after an hour. I believe you turn it on to allow USB access all the time.

Are you using just a power brick or are you connected to a computer? Apple notes in that doc:

Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch charges as usual when it’s connected to a USB power adapter.

So if you are trying to charge connected to a computer, then I think you might have the issue. They state:

If you don’t first unlock your password-protected iOS device—or you haven’t unlocked and connected it to a USB accessory within the past hour—your iOS device won’t communicate with the accessory or computer, and in some cases, it might not charge. You might also see an alert asking you to unlock your device to use accessories.
Where is this last paragraph written? Apple user guide or something?

Last edited:

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
I can intermittently duplicate this issue on my max. Never noticed because I wirelessly charge most of the time.

clangers23

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
Yep happening on mine, if I leave it for long enough plugged in when not charging it becomes unresponsive as well. That's before I get onto the poor, dim, blue shifting display....

Really Apple, an $1100 phone, you'd think they could afford an effective testing department? I'm waiting for Apple to announce it's by design and a courageous decision to push us all into wireless charging.

Reactions: Orangeman13

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I’ve watched the Unbox Therapy video and those iPhones have the same issues as a lot of other people iPhone XS Max.

This issue will be major for Apple especially if it ends up being hardware and not software. This is obviously the type of issue that causes class action lawsuits and such.

Who would imagine the guy with the first iPhone 6 Plus bend test is also the guy that brings out the charging issue. If this video ends up with 72 million views ...

In all seriousness this has to be addressed by Apple soon. A fix would have to come as we have spent $1200, $1400, or $1500 on these devices. This SHOULD NOT HAPPEN. No matter how much of an “iSheep” you are!

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
This happened intermittently to my 2018 iPad on iOS11.I thought my charging port was breaking down because I changed cables and charging bricks and the problem continued. I thought it was odd that if my iPad was on when I plugged in the charger, I never had the issue. Seems very similar to the problem you folks are seeing on the new phones.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Unbox therapy, barf. An overdramatic child who wants to use -gate for everything. It'll be fixed, there is no denying there is some software issue with sleep.

What my logical GUESS the issue is, is some issue with that new USB lockout and it is not letting the charger through that security like it should be doing. That's why if you wake it then it starts to charge; it cancels that hour of inactivity. I suspect it is a simple software bug.

"But I dont hate Apple" mmhmmm, proceeds to make 18 iphone problem/sucks videos for clickbait $ purposes from his mostly Android following.

"But lemme tweet Tim Cook why me no invited to the event or get a review phone?" See above about 18 Apple bashing videos; because THAT makes perfect marketing sense to give you anything.

Who would imagine the guy with the first iPhone 6 Plus bend test is also the guy that brings out the charging issue. If this video ends up with 72 million views ...

$2000 per million views of ad revenue, laughing his way to the bank with $150k. Thats why the overdramatics, overdramatic ridiculous thumbnails and clickbait titles.

Anyone who believes "YouTubers" do it for the good of people or care about you are joking themselves big time. It's ALL about clicks and that $$$$$. If you took away ad revenue how many would still be doing it for the fun of it or to help people? My guess is VERY low.

Last edited:

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
To be fair, when I read the instruction manual it clearly states that In update 12 iOS 12 you need to unlock your phone before it except anything in the USB port. Therefore I think it is a software issue that they may decide to undo any further update please read and let me know what you think.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208857

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
Just saw the unbox therapy video and tried it on my regular Xs.

Had the phone sleeping and plugged a lightning cable in without lifting or moving the phone, and it didn’t start charging. Tried a few times and same result. Never noticed this before as I tend to lift my phone up, therefore awakening it, before I plug the charging cable in, then sit it back down again.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
To be fair, when I read the instruction manual it clearly states that In update 12 iOS 12 you need to unlock your phone before it except anything in the USB port. Therefore I think it is a software issue that they may decide to undo any further update please read and let me know what you think.

Depends on whether a charger is considered an accessory. The stock charger is kind of a requirement.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Unbox therapy, barf. An overdramatic child who wants to use -gate for everything. It'll be fixed, there is no denying there is some software issue with sleep.

"But I dont hate Apple" mmhmmm, proceeds to make 18 iphone problem/sucks videos for clickbait $ purposes from his mostly Android following.

"But lemme tweet Tim Cook why me no invited to the event or get a review phone?" See above about 18 Apple bashing videos; because THAT makes perfect marketing sense to give you anything.

$2000 per million view ad revenue, laughing his way to the bank with $150k.

Anyone who believes "YouTubers" do it for the good of people or care about you are joking themselves big time. It's ALL about clicks and that $$$$$. If you took away ad revenue how many would still be doing it for the fun of it or to help people? My guess is VERY low.

Oh yes we all know he is “clickbait”. He most certainly doesn’t do it for the “good” of people. Just as he doesn’t care about you, me or anyone else for that matter. He’s just trying to get views and ad revenue.

We also know that he is very sour towards anything Apple as well. They don’t invite him to special events and such which I think in turn makes him try to “retaliate”.

I think in a way you may have took my post the wrong way. I don’t agree with anything Louis says not comes up with, but if this issue is widespread I do agree that it needs to be fixed. If it’s software related then it needs an update. If it’s a hardware issue then Apple needs to fix that as well.

My hopes are that it is not so widespread. Maybe it is maybe it’s not.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
What my logical GUESS the issue is, is some issue with that new USB lockout and it is not letting the charger through that security like it should be doing. That's why if you wake it then it starts to charge; it cancels that hour of inactivity. I suspect it is a simple software bug.

Oh yes we all know he is “clickbait”. He most certainly doesn’t do it for the “good” of people. Just as he doesn’t care about you, me or anyone else for that matter. He’s just trying to get views and ad revenue.

We also know that he is very sour towards anything Apple as well. They don’t invite him to special events and such which I think in turn makes him try to “retaliate”.

I think in a way you may have took my post the wrong way. I don’t agree with anything Louis says not comes up with, but if this issue is widespread I do agree that it needs to be fixed. If it’s software related then it needs an update. If it’s a hardware issue then Apple needs to fix that as well.

My hopes are that it is not so widespread. Maybe it is maybe it’s not.

No problems, it was more for those gullible out there who treat this clown like some king of sorts.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
I am probably suffering just about as much is anybody from technology OCD. However, in this case when you read apples instruction manual it definitely explains that the iPhone needs to be unlocked before any assessor he is plugged into the USB port. Now whether or not the charger is considered an assessor he is up for debate but it seems as though Apple could undo this feature and allow for the charger to be plugged in at any time without the iPhone being unlocked. Therefore it definitely seems it is a software issue

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I am probably suffering just about as much is anybody from technology OCD. However, in this case when you read apples instruction manual it definitely explains that the iPhone needs to be unlocked before any assessor he is plugged into the USB port. Now whether or not the charger is considered an assessor he is up for debate but it seems as though Apple could undo this feature and allow for the charger to be plugged in at any time without the iPhone being unlocked. Therefore it definitely seems it is a software issue

Like my post above I suspect that is the issue simply using logic.

That USB timeout feature is not letting the charger pass through during inactivity periods erroneously; hence why if you tap/raise and wake the device it starts charging.

Reactions: Orangeman13

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada

No problems, it was more for those gullible out there who treat this clown like some king or sorts.

Oh yes I Know. His voice agitates me and his “oh the iPhone has a problem let’s make a video” attitude aggravates me as well.

I just can’t forget this guy got famous and rich from bending a damn iPhone. So everything Apple has that’s a “problem” you can guarantee he’s the first one to make a video ...

While MKBHD and iJustine are the first ones to come in and save Apple..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.