Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinerard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Hello,

I receive my Mac Pro 2019 (24 thread) and put 6x64 from OWC in it. I started the computer and made OS X update like usual. Since this moment, impossible to boot the computer. It entered in a boot loop.

So I put back the 4x8 Ram from Apple, and boot again... impossible to restart the computer. It boots, the apple logo and progress bar appears and when it reaches 3/4 it restarts.

I called Apple and we tried everything to reboot the computer... impossible. They gonna change my computer, but before send it back I booted it in Detail mode (command + V). The boot sequence crashes (and reboot) after this message : In Memory panic stackshot succeeded ** bytes traced 324304 **

So, do you think it's connected with a OWC RAM problem (that corrupted the machine during the OS X update) ? Is it a T2 chip problem (Does Apple want we use their expensive RAM ?) ?

Anyway, it's not very reassuring to ave a problem like that with a 26'000 USD machine.

Does someone else succeed installing OWC Ram into the new Mac Pro ?

Best

Robin

PS : sorry for my English, French is my mother tongue

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Sorry to hear your problem, that’s a bummer.
But I really don’t get why you would spend $26000 on a mac and then get inferior ram to save $2500... ;)
If I get a new mac, I will definitely stick with Apple components initially to ensure compatibility.

cinerard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Sorry to hear your problem, that’s a bummer.
But I really don’t get why you would spend $26000 on a mac and then get inferior ram to save $2500... ;)
If I get a new mac, I will definitely stick with Apple components initially to ensure compatibility.
So you could imagine the problem comes from the RAM ?

Sam Marks

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2019
I had a very similar problem, but with a new 2019 i9 iMac (€4,000). Continuous restarts until it finally died. Even putting the original RAM did not solve the problem. I returned it for the money, bought a powerful laptop PC and did not look back (same GB5 score as the base Mac Pro 2019). Now I am a happy Windows 10 Pro user :).

cinerard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Assembled in the USA. ?
In china... European Mac Pro are assembled in China.
[automerge]1577706638[/automerge]
TBH it’s BS isn’t it.
If you bought a Ferrari, it would arrive perfect without any issue.
If your spending upwards of 10-30k on something it should be perfect without a doubt.... ?
Since Steve passed, standards have plummeted in all latest hardware.
Indeed but RAM is RAM, there isn't really "magic" behind this. I wouldn't change the processor but RAM upgrade is a standard.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
TBH it’s BS isn’t it.
If you bought a Ferrari, it would arrive perfect without any issue.
If your spending upwards of 10-30k on something it should be perfect without a doubt.... ?

No amount of money can change reality. Wear and tear still happens, human mistakes happen, etc.

Reactions: motulist and defjam

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
No amount of money can change reality. Wear and tear still happens, human mistakes happen, etc.
That is true, but unacceptable for a purchase of this amount, many people buy Apple products due to the high quality and being problem free (come on Apple get it together).

If it’s not Apple it‘s Samsung rushing out products and every time having to fix something.

Every product I have bought (iphones / iPods / ipads / g4 / g5 / macpro) have been perfect.
It is only during the past 7-8 years it seems every product release has a recall or problem.

Reactions: Cape Dave

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
Every product I have bought (iphones / iPods / ipads / g4 / g5 / macpro) have been perfect.
It is only during the past 7-8 years it seems every product release has a recall or problem.
You don't have a long enough memory. My 2005 powerbook G4 - repair nightmare. I sent it in for keyboard (3X), screen, RAM slot, fan repairs, all within the course of its 3 year warranty. Then my 2008 MBP had to get sent back twice for a faulty NVIDIA GPU - this is the reason I avoid NVIDIA GPUs like the plague. No products are trouble free, but in my experience the newer machines are significantly higher quality than the older kit. For instance, my 2013 MBP has only needed one GPU replacement! At this rate my next MBP (probably a 2020) won't need to replace the GPU at all!

Reactions: motulist

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I must be extremely lucky then...... ?
I would be seriously pissed though if I received a macpro in December for 10k+ and had issues I am reading here.....?

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I must be extremely lucky then...... ?
I would be seriously pissed though if I received a macpro in December for 10k+ and had issues I am reading here.....?
Yeah, I'm trying my best to hold off getting a new MP for the next 6-12 months to work out some of the infant mortality manufacturing bugs. Waiting is painful, but I know getting a new machine with hardware issues would be infuriating.

Reactions: MarkC426 and majus

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
cmon people lets not making broad sweeping statements condemning apple for quality issues from a few incidents, when you don't even have an idea of the number of people with flawless machines

and beyond satisfied customers with flawless machines, there are those people that have ordered 8 core machines, and received 16, and 24 cores by accident. When they contact apple, apple either offers them a refund, or lets them choose to keep the machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: motulist and FredT2

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Yeah, I'm trying my best to hold off getting a new MP for the next 6-12 months to work out some of the infant mortality manufacturing bugs. Waiting is painful, but I know getting a new machine with hardware issues would be infuriating.

That applies to everything including MacOS.

Unless people absolutely need a new hardware or software release, it's alway better to wait and not be a beta tester.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
cmon people lets not making broad sweeping statements condemning apple for quality issues from a few incidents, when you don't even have an idea of the number of people with flawless machines

and beyond satisfied customers with flawless machines, there are those people that have ordered 8 core machines, and received 16, and 24 cores by accident. When they contact apple, apple either offers them a refund, or lets them choose to keep the machine.

I’ve heard of one YouTuber getting a significantly upgraded machine but are there others?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK

REALLY......... wow now that would make a few people’s xmas...:p
Unless the 8 core has gone to someone who ordered more Cores, and the deliveries have been mixed up.

You are right though.
Most of the issues I have read are related to non-standard components being installed to save a buck.
In about 6 months if I have the urge I would get all Apple components in a build.

cinerard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Most of the issues I have read are related to non-standard components being installed to save a buck.
In about 6 months if I have the urge I would get all Apple components in a build.

You know. It's not to save "a buck", but more than 3000 USD. And I didn't save a buck by choosing two Dual Radio Pro Vega II. RAM is RAM, OWC makes RAM for Apple computer since long time.

If Apple had wrote : "Use only our RAM", I wouldn't choose OWC RAM. But it's not the case, so this one should work (in fact it worked until the OS X update).

Robin

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Hello,

I receive my Mac Pro 2019 (24 thread) and put 6x64 from OWC in it. I started the computer and made OS X update like usual. Since this moment, impossible to boot the computer. It entered in a boot loop.

So I put back the 4x8 Ram from Apple, and boot again... impossible to restart the computer. It boots, the apple logo and progress bar appears and when it reaches 3/4 it restarts.

I called Apple and we tried everything to reboot the computer... impossible. They gonna change my computer, but before send it back I booted it in Detail mode (command + V). The boot sequence crashes (and reboot) after this message : In Memory panic stackshot succeeded ** bytes traced 324304 **

So, do you think it's connected with a OWC RAM problem (that corrupted the machine during the OS X update) ? Is it a T2 chip problem (Does Apple want we use their expensive RAM ?) ?

Anyway, it's not very reassuring to ave a problem like that with a 26'000 USD machine.

Does someone else succeed installing OWC Ram into the new Mac Pro ?

Best

Robin

PS : sorry for my English, French is my mother tongue

It’s possible the ram installation went poorly, static damage, etc? Could have caused Mainboard problems?

Have you tried booting from internet recovery mode to wipe the system and start again? Maybe the update went badly. To manually start up from macOS Recovery over the Internet, press and hold Option-Command-R or Shift-Option-Command-R at startup.

If this fails, have you tried running diagnostics to see if anything comes up? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

cinerard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
It’s possible the ram installation went poorly, static damage, etc? Could have caused Mainboard problems?

Have you tried booting from internet recovery mode to wipe the system and start again? Maybe the update went badly. To manually start up from macOS Recovery over the Internet, press and hold Option-Command-R or Shift-Option-Command-R at startup.

If this fails, have you tried running diagnostics to see if anything comes up? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Hello,

Yes I tried booting from internet recovery mode. But nothing changed, it didn't let me install anything because it rebooted before to reach Install Menu. I also tried the diagnostics, and the result was positif (no problem).

Maybe it was really a hardware problem from the beginning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.