Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Apologies for my description..... ;)
Did you start up the mac before swapping out the ram?
As you say maybe something was bad from the start.

How long will the replacement machine take to arrive?

cinerard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Apologies for my description..... ;)
Did you start up the mac before swapping out the ram?
As you say maybe something was bad from the start.

How long will the replacement machine take to arrive?

Hello,
No problem ;-)
Yes I started once. I change the Ram after, and reboot. Everything went fine. And then the OS X update, and troubles came.

It takes 3 weeks for the replacement...

It's strange, it's not possible to order RAM only on Apple website.

For the next machine, I will upload before changing RAM.

Best

Robin

thomast0001

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2019
Doing some searches for "memory panic stackshot succeeded", I have a couple more suggestions. First, open the system and reseat the memory and graphics card. (And be sure to follow proper anti-static protocols.) Double-check that the memory is in the proper slots. Second, boot in detail mode and video capture the screen as it boots. It sounds like this particular panic is a "final" panic when the system can no longer report errors. There may be earlier errors during boot-up that will be enlightening.

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
Hello,
No problem ;-)
Yes I started once. I change the Ram after, and reboot. Everything went fine. And then the OS X update, and troubles came.

It takes 3 weeks for the replacement...

It's strange, it's not possible to order RAM only on Apple website.

For the next machine, I will upload before changing RAM.

Best

Robin

Make sure that you install the ram modules in the correct order and slots:

Septercius

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
UK
Sorry to hear your problem, that’s a bummer.
But I really don’t get why you would spend $26000 on a mac and then get inferior ram to save $2500... ;)
If I get a new mac, I will definitely stick with Apple components initially to ensure compatibility.

Where do you think Apple gets its RAM from? They certainly don't make it themselves. They buy it from Micron or whoever.

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Where do you think Apple gets its RAM from? They certainly don't make it themselves. They buy it from Micron or whoever.

There are only three manufacturers of the DRAM chips that form memory modules left on planet Earth - Samsung , Micron and Hynix SK . Not a whole lot of choice , but all are at least high quality . Now , what the various memory module manufacturers do with these parts is another story . It is still possible to disappoint .

Reactions: MarkC426
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.