Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Labels aside, have we seen any benchmarks yet? I'm wondering if they are the same as Mac Studio Ultra or if extra cooling and/or overclocking will make Mac Pros faster.

Reactions: Apple Fan 2008

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
At least we still got final assembly here.

america-hurricane.gif

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
700 bucks for a set of wheels. Can you simply take them off an office chair and use them or buy them for a few bucks from an office store? Save yourself big money. Alternatively, can the 700$ wheels be used on an office chair?

It wouldn't be an Apple product if the wheels weren't proprietary.

(Yes, the wheels have a proprietary mounting design.)

Reactions: zapmymac

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
The 2013 and 2019 models had their final assembly in the United States. I also believe the 2013's cylindrical case was made in the US and the CPUs were made in the US. I presume most of the other components came from Taiwan and mainland China, but it is possible the OEM memory DIMMs were sourced from US manufacturers.
No, my 2019 mac pro was made in Taiwan.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
No, my 2019 mac pro was made in Taiwan.

I wonder if this is a case of US machines being assembled in the US and non-US machines being assembled in Taiwan and China.

I found a WSJ article noting 2019 Mac Pro production was moved to Taiwan/China due to the tax subsidies Apple was receiving to make the 2013 model in Texas having expired. But Cook and the Trump Administration did come to a deal to exempt Apple from planned tariffs on Chinese imports by agreeing to expand US production of Apple products and they held that photo-op with the 2019 Mac Pro in the Texas facility.

Last edited:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I think the label has to do with the amount of value-added above the value of generic parts. Most of that was done in Thailand.

This is a little like when a PC hobbyist claims to have "built" a PC. He really didn't. All he did was buy a mainboard, chassis, and power supply and then he assembled the parts with a screwdriver. The vast majority of the work was done by the companies that made the parts.

Apple is now being more honest than the typical PC hobbyist.

The usual metric is to define a part as "generic" if it can be used for many different products. Obviously, a normal screw is generic. It could be used on a computer or a motorcycle. Sheet metal is generic too. As are many basic kinds of chips and passive electronic parts. They typically define "building" a product as starting from generic parts. I think Apple is doing the right thing and refining the label to better reflect reality.

Reactions: Solomani

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
It wouldn't be an Apple product if the wheels weren't proprietary.

(Yes, the wheels have a proprietary mounting design.)
Is there such a thing as a standard for wheel mountings? Maybe for chairs, but not even sure there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.