Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
Is there such a thing as a standard for wheel mountings? Maybe for chairs, but not even sure there.
I think that's something the EU should tackle straight away. Feels like this is another lightning cable fiasco.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Is there such a thing as a standard for wheel mountings? Maybe for chairs, but not even sure there.
The great thing about Standards is that you have so many to choose from.

IMG_0716.png

• Haha
Reactions: VulchR

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Which cost 1000 USD
The legs (feet) are $300 if you buy separately (but they are included in the Mac Pro purchase). The wheels are $700 but $400 when purchased with the computer and not separately.

It's a ridiculous price but neither the feet nor the wheels are $1000.

Reactions: singhs.apps

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I really wonder who this machine is for. The primary reason to have PCIe expansion, GPU cards, isn't even a factor since MacOS on Apple Silicon doesn't support external GPUs, neither for video nor compute purposes.

Given Apple's mainstream consumer focus it really surprises me that they're releasing such a niche system. All the stuff you could conceivably do with the internal slots on this machine, you could do using Thunderbolt expansion. Is this basically a "trophy" machine? Someone with a real usecase other than "It's pretty" please chime in! :)

Spike1999

macrumors regular
May 19, 2020
The legs (feet) are $300 if you buy separately (but they are included in the Mac Pro purchase). The wheels are $700 but $400 when purchased with the computer and not separately.

It's a ridiculous price but neither the feet nor the wheels are $1000.
whoosh...

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
I really wonder who this machine is for. The primary reason to have PCIe expansion, GPU cards, isn't even a factor since MacOS on Apple Silicon doesn't support external GPUs, neither for video nor compute purposes.

Given Apple's mainstream consumer focus it really surprises me that they're releasing such a niche system. All the stuff you could conceivably do with the internal slots on this machine, you could do using Thunderbolt expansion. Is this basically a "trophy" machine? Someone with a real usecase other than "It's pretty" please chime in! :)
I won't mind to use it to fine-tune my drivers.
I have to look up what happened with Apple Silicon - but AFAIK, no MacOS supports (extended) message signaled interrupts, aka MSI-X on Intel. This is quite sad because MSI-X has long grey beard on Windows, Linux and everything else. One can of course write it on his/her own, but as far as IOKit (will check the DriverKit later) basics, there is no "convenient" way to implement MSI-X. Once I was about to implement that, but politics of ex-employer prevented me to do that. In retrospect I would say, I got VERY lucky: otherwise I would be unable to even talk about it.

In any case I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to get that MacPro and look under the hood what is about that MSI-X support.

But for a daily use I am perfect now with the "black" cylinder. A "significant part" of that black cylinder is working under Parallels in "Snow Leopard" mode. And under Snow Leopard I am working on all the legacy "9" and "X" drivers.

Hopefully soon enough I will be again on Apple Silicon, SAS and NVMe. But right now the legacy community is underserved. And in addition there is an impression about FirmTek stuff being "abandonware". I have the burden of proof that it is by no means the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.