Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
New Nvidia Driver for High Sierra: WebDriver-378.10.10.10.15.114.pkg

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/125379/en-us

It's kind of working but pretty buggy. If I drag a window it leaves window traces all over the screen until you click on a blank desktop area. Lot's of glitches.

But to be fair to Nvidia. Each time I've run the driver install it stops half way and say's there has been an error installing. It then asks if you want to quit the install or try to continue. I hit continue and it seems like the install finishes okay. Buy it's pretty obvious all is not well.

But we are one big step closer. You can't expect too much with a Beta OS combined with a Beta GPU Driver.

But it is working..... Kinda

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 5.05.55 PM.png

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Sounds like more of the same with nVidia webdrivers with the 1xxxx series.

nividia web drivers are not getting better. Not a bit.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA

The fact that they are now working to some degree in High Sierra means that they are indeed getting better.....

Once High Sierra is finalized and released Nvidia won't have to chase a moving target. It will get better.

HS 10.13.1 was just released at the same time Nvidia released the driver for 10.13. They are trying to play Catch-Up.....

Prince134

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010

It's kind of working but pretty buggy. If I drag a window it leaves window traces all over the screen until you click on a blank desktop area. Lot's of glitches.

But to be fair to Nvidia. Each time I've run the driver install it stops half way and say's there has been an error installing. It then asks if you want to quit the install or try to continue. I hit continue and it seems like the install finishes okay. Buy it's pretty obvious all is not well.

But we are one big step closer. You can't expect too much with a Beta OS combined with a Beta GPU Driver.

View attachment 722281

Mine don't have that issue.
You probably need to remove your GT120.

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
So we should just erase the other 10 people that STILL have problems in Sierra on this forum, magically wishing that nVidia will make things all of a sudden better in High Sierra?

I just don't buy it. I want to buy it. But I need proof. I won't stand for UI glitches.

My point is that this isn't a surprise that High Sierra has glitches with the nVidia web driver. 80% of people on Sierra are also having glitches with far more mature nVidia web drivers. That's not a good track record.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
My point is that this isn't a surprise that High Sierra has glitches with the nVidia web driver. 80% of people on Sierra are also having glitches with far more mature nVidia web drivers. That's not a good track record.

80% huh - you dig that out of your butt????:eek: I guess I'm in the minority. Absolutely NO ISSUES here, in Sierra or High Sierra with the Nvidia Web Driver! None - Nada!

Lou

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
No issues here either with GTX 1070 ever since they released drivers for Pascal GPU's since 10.12.5 or 10.12.4 or so.... and now 10.13.0!

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
No issues here either with GTX 1070 ever since they released drivers for Pascal GPU's since 10.12.5 or 10.12.4 or so.... and now 10.13.0!

Common web driver bugs.

Open an iBook. Can you read a book or does it show an empty window?

Or

Run a large resize image action in Photoshop with OpenCL turned on. Does it crash or result in some errata?

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
No offence intended but I think you’re less fussy than most of us, or more tolerant, or less observant.

The 1070 using the NVIDIA web driver in macOS is bug ridden. So much so that I returned the card. The same happens with my 1080 but I now use it exclusively for Windows, where it works perfectly.

flehman

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2015

View attachment 722281

I experienced the error/hiccup during installation of web drivers on my 4,1->5,1. I have a MVC-flashed 980. The firmware and HS installs did not hit any issues. However, I started seeing a block of error text during startup of the HS drive (at the grey screen) and stuck myself in a boot loop after trying to reset PRAM to troubleshoot. I don’t know enough about what went sideways to try to lay blame on nVidia, Apple, myself, or just the computer gods. For now I rolled everything back to 10.12.6 and might have another go after a few point updates to HS and after nVidia has had more time to work on drivers.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Common web driver bugs.

Or

Run a large resize image action in Photoshop with OpenCL turned on. Does it crash or result in some errata?

The iBook thing is well known to be an issue with Library Validation, i.e. Apple is refusing to load the NVIDIA web driver because it's not an Apple binary. What do you want NVIDIA do to about this? There are several known workarounds FWIW.

Apple has also turned on LV for the WindowServer in High Sierra, and appears to have been working with NVIDIA to get their web driver binaries loading even when LV is on. This mechanism appears to be somewhat broken still, but it's a good sign that they are both working on fixing this issue once and for all.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Mine don't have that issue.
You probably need to remove your GT120.

i will
Can you screenshot the issues DR Stealth?
[doublepost=1506747983][/doublepost]Oh and are you still running the 5k screen?

Screen shots don't work for these glitches. The screen shot looks perfect without the glitch showing. So I used my cell phone. No I'm not using the 5K Dell, I RMA'd it due to too many issues. I'm now using a new Dell 32" 4K UP3216Q that I just received a couple days ago. This isn't a random occurrence. It happens on every window move. I'll remove my GT-120 as Prince134 suggested and see if that makes any difference.
IMG_4585.png

IMG_4587.jpg

Last edited:

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
i will

Screen shots don't work for these glitches. The screen shot looks perfect without the glitch showing. So I used my cell phone. No I'm not using the 5K Dell, I RMA'd it due to too many issues. I'm using a Dell 32" 4K UP3216Q that I just received a couple days ago. This isn't a random occurrence. It happens on every window move. I'll remove my GT-120 as Prince134 suggested and see if that makes any difference.
View attachment 722417

View attachment 722416

Woah!!!! That's weird!!!
[doublepost=1506794134][/doublepost]
No offence intended but I think you’re less fussy than most of us, or more tolerant, or less observant.

The 1070 using the NVIDIA web driver in macOS is bug ridden. So much so that I returned the card. The same happens with my 1080 but I now use it exclusively for Windows, where it works perfectly.

What if he is really not having any problems?

I only ask as if there are people with problems and people without, looking at the setups of those without problems may somehow help those with problems.

It's like the high Sierra install. I didn't have any problems whatsoever, same with a lot of people. Yet there are a great number who had massive serious problems installing high Sierra.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Well after looking into this a bit more here's what I believe is going on (In my case)

The new driver WebDriver-378.10.10.10.15.114.pkg only officially supports a limited number of GPU's. The 10 series is NOT officially supported. That's probably why I get the error during the driver install and things are really buggy. I think it's pretty funny that the driver still supports the GT-120. So I switched my display's input to the GT-120 and it is able to drive my 4k display at 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz. Still using the Web Driver. I get no window glitches with the GT-120, only with the 1080 TI's.

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 12.56.47 PM.png

And the new CUDA driver cudadriver-9.0.197-macos.dmg was released for Sierra 10.12.x NOT HS 10.13. Nvidia say's they'll have a CUDA driver for 10.13 at a later date.

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 1.00.05 PM.png

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Well after looking into this a bit more here's what I believe is going on (In my case)

The new driver WebDriver-378.10.10.10.15.114.pkg only officially supports a limited number of GPU's. The 10 series is NOT officially supported. That's probably why I get the error during the driver install and things are really buggy. I think it's pretty funny that the driver still supports the GT-120. So I switched my display's input to the GT-120 and it is able to drive my 4k display at 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz. Still using the Web Driver. I get no window glitches with the GT-120, only with the 1080 TI's.

View attachment 722479

I wouldn't look too much into that, that is what it has said for the drivers since kepler. technically it is not a true "official" support, those cards listed are the only cards nvidia ever actually made officially for mac.

We do appear to be waiting on a cuda update though.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
Common web driver bugs.

Or

I made a screen capture (using Quicktime) of opening iBooks and opening a large file in PS CS6 and then resizing it as you mentioned above because I apparently have nothing to do on a Saturday. Lol!

Only thing I noticed (*cough, *cough @Squuiid) is a screen flicker during transition to FullScreen Mode in iBooks. Not a big deal since it only happens from that transition of going to Fullscreen mode and everything else is fine. But, to be fair, the same thing happens on my MacBook Pro 6,2 running High Sierra. So, it could be an early build bug. But, certainly not close to a bug that breaks the deal.

Ouch! You got me with "less observant!" :confused:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

And the new CUDA driver cudadriver-9.0.197-macos.dmg was released for Sierra 10.12.x NOT HS 10.13. Nvidia say's they'll have a CUDA driver for 10.13 at a later date.

OK - First off - The Web Drivers do indeed support Maxwell and Pascal Cards. Check out this link:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/04/06/titan-xp/

Second - Yes, Cuda 9 does not yet work in High Sierra, but Cuda Drriver 8.0.90 does at this moment. If you need Cuda support use the old driver in the interim.

Third - The list of cards you posted are the only OFFICIAL Mac Edition Cards. I am now on my third MVC flashed Nvidia GPU. First was a GTX 570, then a GTX 780 and now a GTX 1080. All have been Gigabyte 3 fan models. All have worked flawlessly with the Web Drivers.

I know some of you are having problems in High Sierra. I don't know why, but I am not.

BTW, this thread has been kept up to date over the years, it was and still is relevant:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...out-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/

Lou

rmt37

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
I have a Mac Pro 5.1 (Mid-2010) with a 6-core 3.46, 32GB RAM and a non-flashed 1080ti 11GB video card.

I had to buy a GT120 card to upgrade to High Sierra due to the firmware upgrade. I tried upgrading without a native Mac video card, but I got stuck with a black screen mid-install and was dead for 2 days until my GT120 arrived in the mail today. Popped in the GT120 and finished the upgrade.

In the past, I could just bring up my Mac Pro on my iPad using VNC whenever I did an OSX upgrade, install the nVidia web drivers, and I'd be back in business. Now that I'm past the firmware upgrade, that is my plan for future 10.x releases. (Bring it up on VNC, update the nVidia web drivers, then boot native to 1080ti.)

I did the upgrade, swapped out the GT120 for the 1080ti and it works perfectly. I have a dual screen set up with an LG monitor and an Apple Cinema Display. I can watch YouTube while browsing an iBook and edit a Photoshop CC (2017) image.

I'm not having any of the issues reported on this thread.

I'd go so far as to say that so far, my desktop experience is better and smoother than it was with Sierra.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I made a screen capture (using Quicktime) of opening iBooks

Any chance you could do me a favour, and try downloading a free / sample comic book on the iBooks store? Theyre generally in EPUB format, and I'd be curious to see if they're rendering correctly on Nvidia cards using the webdriver.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
Any chance you could do me a favour, and try downloading a free / sample comic book on the iBooks store? Theyre generally in EPUB format, and I'd be curious to see if they're rendering correctly on Nvidia cards using the webdriver.

NP!

It renders fine. This is the most I have ever used iBooks in my whole life. More like a real book person. Lol.

But here it is in screen capture glory, if you don't believe me.

Reactions: mattspace

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
RESOLVED =) ! Enable SIP is the Answer !

Well, I was encouraged by the reports of success with nearly identical systems so I'm going to do another clean install.

I did some Googling and found the answer to my problems.... I had SIP disabled. I never thought this would be a problem but it was, at least with High Sierra. Both the web driver and the CUDA driver will not install properly with SIP Disabled. Two Gatekeeper exceptions need to be added (Security & Privacy - Yes Allow) then both drivers install perfectly, without the errors.

I have no more window glitches and everything is running very smoothly with my two 1080 TI's in High Sierra. :)

This was the error I was getting half way through the install. If you continue the install looks like it finishes but Gatekeeper has blocked needed extensions.

1.png

If you enable SIP and run the installer again you will get this....

2.png

Then you just go to (Security & Privacy - Yes Allow) and everything works fine !

3.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.