Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
RESOLVED =) ! Enable SIP is the Answer !

Well, I was encouraged by the reports of success with nearly identical systems so I'm going to do another clean install.

I did some Googling and found the answer to my problems.... I had SIP disabled. I never thought this would be a problem but it was, at lease with High Sierra. Both the web driver and the CUDA driver will not install properly with SIP Disabled. Two Gatekeeper exceptions need to be added (Security & Privacy - Yes Allow) then both drivers install perfectly, without the errors.

I have no more window glitches and everything is running very smoothly with my two 1080 TI's in High Sierra. :)

This was the error I was getting half way through the install. If you continue the install looks like it finishes but Gatekeeper has blocked needed extensions.

View attachment 722704

If you enable SIP and run the installer again you will get this....

View attachment 722706

Then you just go to (Security & Privacy - Yes Allow) and everything works fine !

View attachment 722708

Glad you figured this out. Why did you Disable SIPS in the the first place? And, does enabling SIP, even if it fixes your issue described here, leave the other thing you needed to do to disable SIPS in a conundrum?

Reactions: Executor

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Glad you figured this out. Why did you Disable SIPS in the the first place? And, does enabling SIP, even if it fixes your issue described here, leave the other thing you needed to do to disable SIPS in a conundrum?

I need to disable SIP occasionally for some programs to work properly. One is WinClone. It's easy to disable SIP do what you need to do and then re-enable SIP. I've heard that there is no reason to have SIP enabled and that it won't cause any problems if you leave it disabled. But I found that's not the case.

chris1111

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2015
Montréal Canada
The real thing is the Package NVIDIA 10.13 HS haves a flag for the SIP in the preinstall script
see this is the same message in the Popup

captu195.png

End of script

captu196.png

Reactions: splifingate

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Right, it very clearly looks like the installer needs SIP enabled for it to work correctly. Gatekeeper appears to do something to the binaries to make them allowed to be loaded when you hit "Allow" in the Security preferences. If SIP is disabled, that step is done done by the OS, and thus the driver might not load properly.

I don't think you need to have SIP enabled after you've successfully installed the driver, it should be fine to go back to disabling whatever parts of SIP you need to.

Horselover Fat

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Germany
Let me chime in to tell you all that I solved this problem by walking in the exact opposite direction. And yet without this thread I couldn't have solved it.

Since upgrading my 4,1->5,1 (flashed GTX 680, 2GB) to HS I had the exact same bug. When using the web driver dragging windows caused exactly the mess shown by the OP. And on top of it GUI animations were horribly chunky. Whenever I installed a web new driver, the installation didn't show any error. However, the result was always the same mess on screen, so I stayed with the default driver of macOS.

Then I came across this thread, checked SIP and realized it was enabled. Then I disabled it, installed the latest nvidia driver (again no hassles here), restarted and the bug is gone with the web driver working perfectly.

Is that weird?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Common web driver bugs.

Open an iBook. Can you read a book or does it show an empty window?

Or

Run a large resize image action in Photoshop with OpenCL turned on. Does it crash or result in some errata?

May I know the details on how to reproduce any bug? The iBook one seems fixed just before I buy my 1080Ti. And I tried to resize an image in Photoshop to a ridiculous size with OpenCL on (see attachment), but still no error / crash / bug.
Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 04.34.06.jpg

Reactions: Synchro3

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
I for some reason can't select open cl in photoshop. I can't say I am hugely worried about it but for whatever reason it wont let me. Photoshop seems to be using my card (Quadro p4000) purely in open GL.

I am feeling really weird as now that I am using the Nvidia Web Driver on a non flashed PC card I was actually expecting issues based on all the posts on here but honestly if it wasn't for the lack of a boot screen you would just think I was using the stock apple drivers. No issues at all.

Reactions: fendersrule

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Exactly. No bugs! I feel like the Web driver is actually better than Apple's driver.

I feel like with all the nay-sayers that I was watching Monty Python's The Meaning of Life whilst still trying to look for the fish.

And I still cannot find the fish, so I'm tired of looking for it. :)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Exactly. No bugs! I feel like the Web driver is actually better than Apple's driver.

I feel like with all the nay-sayers that I was watching Monty Python's The Meaning of Life whilst still trying to look for the fish.

And I still cannot find the fish, so I'm tired of looking for it. :)

More or less the same feeling. My experience with the 7950 is OK, but far from flawless. Even not counting the shuttering bug that basically only affect the 7950 Mac Editing card. But Maverick has poor OpenGL performance, Yosemite has Safari Micro Freeze, El Capitan has Finder freeze... R9 380 work flawless from my memory, but it cap the screen refresh rate at 120Hz on my CHG90. And now, the 1080Ti not just flawless so far, but also enabled 144Hz. So, it work best up to this moment.

Especially now I know that we can upgrade the OS and web driver without EFI / remote control / assist from other GPU. It's virtually the same as the OOTB GPUs. The only difference I can tell at this moment is that I can't use the GUI recovery partition (single user recovery partition still available).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.