Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Those GPU temps are wicked but, liquid cooling concerns me. Had more than a few parts fried due to leaky AIOs, it's been many years since I've tried however. If I were to do it, similar to you, I'd go all out. Near silent build is hyper appealing to me. Despite all the improvements, AMD stuff still gets hot when you push it. The cooler than comes with the 2600 is loud. The Sapphire is loud. But in normal ops its enough. Not sure what options would even be available for the 5700...

Reactions: iMi

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Those GPU temps are wicked but, liquid cooling concerns me. Had more than a few parts fried due to leaky AIOs, it's been many years since I've tried however. If I were to do it, similar to you, I'd go all out. Near silent build is hyper appealing to me. Despite all the improvements, AMD stuff still gets hot when you push it. The cooler than comes with the 2600 is loud. The Sapphire is loud. But in normal ops its enough. Not sure what options would even be available for the 5700...

There are a few water blocks for the 5700XT but they only work with reference design. There is also Red Devil 5700XT that is liquid cooled out of the box with a pre-installed water block, but it's $600. That's pretty steep. Don't be afraid of leaks. Compression fittings are really foolproof and if you do have a leak, like I did, it won't come out gushing like a hydrant. It will drip. You drain the system, fix the leak and refill. The cause for leaks will be obvious. Properly connected fittings simply don't leak.

Also, use commercial cooler. Either premixed or a concentrate that you mix with distilled water. Most are non-conductive, which significantly reduces chances of any damage due to leaking. Plus, many components, as mentioned before, come with a coating to further reduce surface conductivity. It's really not a big deal.

If you go with flexible tubing chances of leaks are pretty much zero. They clamp on super hard.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The computer looks so nice! I've already listed my computer for sell.
I don't know where to start for parts. I've been reading so many posts online all day.

I think I want the Intel i9 10980XE processor, but it's sold out everywhere.
I don't know what motherboard would be good for it. I'm thinking of maybe also playing with a dual boot and a hackintosh? I will have a lot of time soon.
For graphics card I know I do want the 1080 ti or 2080 ti.
I don't know about the other parts.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The computer looks so nice! I've already listed my computer for sell.
I don't know where to start for parts. I've been reading so many posts online all day.

I think I want the Intel i9 10980XE processor, but it's sold out everywhere.
I don't know what motherboard would be good for it. I'm thinking of maybe also playing with a dual boot and a hackintosh? I will have a lot of time soon.
For graphics card I know I do want the 1080 ti or 2080 ti.
I don't know about the other parts.
If you want to dual-boot to hackintosh, you’ll need an AMD graphics card. No Mac drivers for current nVidia cards.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Can you tell me more?
Do I need to buy a separate ssd?
I currently have the following and already miss Mac, but I must say rendering videos is waaaaaay faster!! The only thing that annoys me right now is the noise/static coming from my speakers. :/

So this is what I have:
Ryzen 9 3950x
X570 Aorus Master
32gb RAM
RTX 2080 Ti
2tb SSD

Is there a tutorial with step by steps that I could? That anyone would be able to do?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Can you tell me more?
I currently have the following and already miss Mac, but I must say rendering videos is waaaaaay faster!! The only thing that annoys me right now is the noise/static coming from my speakers. :/

So this is what I have:
Ryzen 9 3950x
X570 Aorus Master
32gb RAM
RTX 2080 Ti
2tb SSD

Is there a tutorial with step by steps that I could? That anyone would be able to do?

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Can you tell me more?

So this is what I have:
Ryzen 9 3950x
X570 Aorus Master
32gb RAM
RTX 2080 Ti
2tb SSD

These are great specs. I would strongly encourage you to build a custom loop and liquid cool everything. The 3950X is a beast of a processor and it will consume loads of power and you'll need an efficient way to cool it if you are to extract the full benefit of its massive computing potential.

The Aorus Master is very nice. That's what I've build with and like it a lot.

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
A quick update. As things settled and the machine has been used extensively over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed a few changes.

CPU idle temps have changed. I think loading up a bunch of apps really bug down Windows. It jumps around a lot, but averages around 52 degrees. GPU temps are the same. Plus, I think the thermal paste cured or something. Maybe that makes a difference.

One thing I've noticed is that the CPU is boosting non-stop. I have not seen it run slower than 4.4Mhz and routinely bumping up to 4.6Mhz. Nothing here is overclocked. Just the auto-boost doing its thing. In fact, I see zero reason to overclock thing thing. It does it by itself and apparently it has enough room to run this way indefinitely. At heavy loads, I am still <80 degrees at constant 4.4Mhz.

I added a dual fan to the bottom after getting an adapter for the USB 3.0 header. Interestingly the temps have not changed at all, which again supports the idea that the radiator capacity is the key to the setup. Still, a little more airflow will help keep other components cooler, at least in theory.

Hope this log helps others. I sure learned a lot reading others. Bottom line, don't be afraid to go liquid cooled with rigid tubing. It's much easier than it appears. But do get a lot of extra tubing. You'll make mistakes.

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Can anyone recommend a good liquid coolant as replacement? I used CryoFuel and came away disappointed. After just a couple of months, I have some mold growing in the tank. So much for that... I ordered PrimoChill and hoping for better results.

Any other recommendations?

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Mayhems X1 clear. Go premixed.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Have you used the silver coil as a further microbe suppression method? It sounds gimmicky but I don't really know that much about microbial growth or chemistry.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Thank you for the suggestion!

Have you used the silver coil as a further microbe suppression method? It sounds gimmicky but I don't really know that much about microbial growth or chemistry.

as long as you flushed your rads properly the Mayhems will be fine.

ctrlzone

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2017
That boat has sailed already... ?
they are comparing AIO's so, a custom waterloop is objectively better performance wise.
since most waterblocks focus on the center of the CPU heat spreader, heatpipes could have an advantage on 3000 series where the hotspot is not in the center but a little further down between the chiplets.

still, that Noctua is sick, compact, plug & play, enough space for memory, no hassle/maintenance, and still performing so good.
i wanna try it as soon as the XT Ryzen's become available, should be July 7.

in terms of hassle, there's always a way to make things more complicated: ?

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
they are comparing AIO's so, a custom waterloop is objectively better performance wise.
since most waterblocks focus on the center of the CPU heat spreader, heatpipes could have an advantage on 3000 series where the hotspot is not in the center but a little further down between the chiplets.

still, that Noctua is sick, compact, plug & play, enough space for memory, no hassle/maintenance, and still performing so good.
i wanna try it as soon as the XT Ryzen's become available, should be July 7.

in terms of hassle, there's always a way to make things more complicated: ?

I've used AIOs in the past. Performance is vastly better with a custom loop, especially with two 360 rads. I am honestly astonished at the temps I'm seeing under load. The cooling with two radiators is so efficient, the room gets hot. Literally my entire office gets hot. I've seen Linus say that "water cooling is unnecessary and really only for enthusiasts." I used to think that, but not anymore. Silence is golden and this system is virtually silent. Plus, 12 cores/24 threads running at 4.4Ghz non-stop with peak temps in the upper 70's and occasionally jumping to 80's with virtually no throttling is amazing. Best part? It's not overclocked. I've never seen such performance on air or AIO for that matter.

That's the difference. A custom loop has virtually no limit on the amount of wattage you can displace, as long as you have space for rads. At least in theory. Air coolers are constrained by the amount of surface.
[automerge]1593703787[/automerge]
Also, love the video. Quick question. Where can I buy liquid helium? Asking for a friend... ?

Reactions: ctrlzone

ctrlzone

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2017
so true, especially gpu's tend to be noisy.
with all this cores & power consumption, heat becomes an issue, without AC the room turns into a Sauna.

i kinda like this approach here:

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
How is the 5700XT and the drivers?

I was going back and forth with the Sapphire Ultra 8GB 5700XT for about £390 and the Gaming 2070 Super for £500.

The performance especially at 1440 and 2160 seemed negligible and wasn’t worth £100 more to me. But kept reading reviews about bad drivers. Seems hit or miss and I hope I don’t get a bad one!

I’ll barely be gaming as I got studies to do, but it won’t be cross-platform AAA titles. But my FPS will be on PC.

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
How is the 5700XT and the drivers?

I was going back and forth with the Sapphire Ultra 8GB 5700XT for about £390 and the Gaming 2070 Super for £500.

The performance especially at 1440 and 2160 seemed negligible and wasn’t worth £100 more to me. But kept reading reviews about bad drivers. Seems hit or miss and I hope I don’t get a bad one!

I’ll barely be gaming as I got studies to do, but it won’t be cross-platform AAA titles. But my FPS will be on PC.

I had lots of driver issues with the 5700XT. The 2080 Super has been trouble free. Games that would crush on the 5700XT with a driver error would run great.

But, I also had the Taichi. That card is the highest clocked 5700XT variant on the market (at least at that time). I think Asrock pushed it too far. I had another system with XFX Thicc II and that ran much better. it wasn’t as polished in terms of drivers as the Nvidia, but better.

I would have gone with the 2070 Super by the way. The only reasons I bought the 2080 Super is because it came with the waterblock. The price difference for the lesser card plus waterblock was negligible given the overall cost of the system.

Reactions: ctrlzone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.