Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
perfection?

iOS barely utilizes the iPads larger screen size, 1GB RAM is pathetic, camera is still terrible, they have a long way to go

He said "Almost perfection." Upping the RAM and camera isn't really a "long way" to go. The RAM is only really an issue in Safari (which confuses me; iOS can suspend apps without using RAM, maybe they should do the same with Safari?) The camera could use an update, but it's far from "terrible." And really, who cares? Why do you want to take pictures with your iPad?

I do agree with the iOS statement, however. The interface (third party apps aside) really wastes the screen real estate.

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
Agree, why SHOULD you have to wear headphones to compensate for a poor design?

Perhaps these people would like An Apple car with it's in-car music player and all the sound coming form one spot.
When anyone says "would it be nice to have more speakers around the car?"
We can say, no. If you want to hear stereo plug in some headphones.

I was mocking the people who say that. People like you.

And stop making car analogies. It's a weak analogy people overuse because they can't come up with anything more intelligent to say. An iPad is not a car. Analogies are worthless in arguments, most of the time, because it often derails the discussion and gets people talking about the validity of the analogy.

You can listen to music on the iPad's speakers just fine, because they are RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE. While I wouldn't say no to louder speakers, the placement of them is fine. I listen to music on mine while reading sometimes (you know, if I don't have my computer nearby.) If I'm out in public listening and reading, I have headphones and have no business making people nearby listen to what I'm listening to. You don't NEED better speakers on it. Yes, that's right, I'm dictating your needs for you. If you're listening to music in public without headphones, you're a jerk. If you're listening to music at home on your iPad, it's close enough to you that you can hear it just fine. You can also listen to music on the 12 other things you have in your house, or you can use the Remote app to control iTunes on your computer. "BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THAT" WAAAAAAAAH!!! I'm giving you options, and yet you people are fixated on something as stupid as "the speakers are placed on the bottom, now I can't hear them when I press my iPad against my fat thighs."

I watched Louis CK's standup on Netflix the other day (ON MY IPAD.) (WITH ITS POOR DESIGN) and he went on a rant about how nobody appreciates their smart phones. Or air travel. It made me think a lot about the MR forums.

You're exaggerating the problem. This is a miniature computer you can hold in your hands, carry anywhere with you, and do so many things with it. And yet people like you just complain about the "poor design" of the speakers on it. Obviously the iPad can be improved. So can your attitude and your appreciation of the technology that is available to you these days. I wonder which will be improved, first?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
To take pictures of things during the day, maybe? After all, if you're taking pictures at night, nobody can notice how obnoxious you look holding a 10" camera in front of your face.

Yesterday slickdeals had a decent point and shoot canon A4000 for $36 which has 8x optical zoom, better lens, higher resolution, optical image stabilization and is capable of taking better night shots and video. Yet people want to look moronic holding a 10" tablet with crappie camera features. I see it all the time during my sons wrestling matches.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
First world problems.

The iPad Air is light enough that you can handle holding it without supporting it against your lap. Also, if you're reading a book on it, you're probably tilting it back on an angle, revealing the speakers enough to hear sound. Also, why do you need sound to read a book? Music, you say? Plug some headphones in. What's that? You shouldn't have to put headphones in your ears to listen to music on your iPad?

First world problems.

It is also possible to just turn the iPad upside down. Sure that puts the home bottom in an awkward spot but I do this all the time and its not that bad.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
internals aside, i don't see them doing anything interesting with the ipad anytime soon

I heard they're going to turn it into a Tablet/Surfboard hybrid.

If you don't consider that interesting, I don't know what will impress you!

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
First world problems.

The iPad Air is light enough that you can handle holding it without supporting it against your lap. Also, if you're reading a book on it, you're probably tilting it back on an angle, revealing the speakers enough to hear sound. Also, why do you need sound to read a book? Music, you say? Plug some headphones in. What's that? You shouldn't have to put headphones in your ears to listen to music on your iPad?

First world problems.

Your post is all over the place. I didn't say I was reading a book anywhere in my post. Who holds an iPad Air in the air at all times? When watching a video and sitting on the couch legs are up on coffee table and iPad rests against the legs.

As far as being a "First world problem?" I'm not sure how you made that jump when I innocently said I didn't like the speakers on the bottom. How you made the jump to first world problems, as if I'm running around screaming and complaining about the issue, is beyond me. I guess because I don't like a particular design from Apple you took offense to it and needed to go down a slippery slope as to why I'm wrong?

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Touch ID, and a gold color option. Those are two of the three things that I was really hoping for in the first iPad Air, the third being more RAM. Looks like I might be selling my current Air so I can upgrade to this one.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I got bored with my iPad and finally ended up selling it. Everything I use my iPhone for I could do on the iPad as well. The only real benefit I got out of the iPad was that it was a bit more comfortable to use and read stuff on because of the larger screen size. Hoping that Apple does release a 5.5" iPhone because it'd be the perfect combination of screen size and portability for me.

PNayo92

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2011
I still don't know why I need a tablet AND a laptop AND a smartphone. My Macs and my wife's Windows laptop suit perfectly our digital entertainment needs along our smartphones.

I use my MacBook Pro for document creation, data analysis, large programs for school. Tablet for replacing all paper and digitizing all of my handwritten notes, having all my textbooks in one place to save my back. Smartphone feels more unnecessary than the other two for me- games and constant communication with people.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Thinner

I must be the only guy on earth who actually wants a thinner iPad. I have owned each iteration of iPad, I use them a ton even the Air begins to get heavy and hot after holding it for extended periods of time. Shave a couple more MMs or ounces and we are about good to go.

Now the nerd in me grew up watching ST:TNG, I always dreamed of holding one of those PADDs they had in my hands, we are almost there!

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I must be the only guy on earth who actually wants a thinner iPad. I have owned each iteration of iPad, I use them a ton even the Air begins to get heavy and hot after holding it for extended periods of time. Shave a couple more MMs or ounces and we are about good to go.

Now the nerd in me grew up watching ST:TNG, I always dreamed of holding one of those PADDs they had in my hands, we are almost there!

Agree with the weight thing. Especially with a case on it gets uncomfortable holding it just to show someone a 2 minute YT video. I know the Air was a massive leap from previous generations in terms of weight and size, but I just hope Apple keep on reducing both those aspects.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
I'm wondering for how long, the sales of iPads and the yearly upgrade cycles will sustain as they have been till now. Let's be frank. To most of us the iPad is a fine media consumption and browse-the-web-while-laying-on-the-couch device. It great for what it is, it's smooth, etc, but it is mostly just that: a media consumption device. At some point, the internals of the iPad are fast and the device is light enough. I wouldn't mind to gave stereo speakers in landscape mode, though. Because that is mostly how I use my iPad.

Personally I wish, iOS could do much more and be a bit less restricted, if not boring. After so many years still just a matrix of icons. And I came across situations, where I had to download, edit or manipulate something, and then forward it again and reached to my Android Phone, because to do the same on my iPad would have been a lengthy hassle :confused: :eek:

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Wow, the rear shell looks kinda like any rear of any ipad ever made. Why would anyone give a crap about this?

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
iPad "Pro" needs a file system and should support multiple user accounts.

Only if the "File System" was itself an "App" that did nothing more than allow preferences for files across all the App Domains.

Apps being Sandboxes is a critical piece of technology that keeps iOS from "self-infecting" itself with viruses and malware. That means a malware writer has to target specific COMBOS of apps to do bad things. And as apps have narrower focus that gets harder too.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
iPad has always been cut out as fas as i know (for the wifi)

seriously a glowing apple logo on an iDevice would be tacky, annoying to be used in public in the dark and wasted energy

It's funny though, because the Apple logo glows on MacBooks since forever.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Not sure about thinner but lighter, definitely, iPad Air is too heavy to hold in one hand for prolonged periods of time especially for things like reading.
Thank you for confirming this to me. I already suspected the Air would only solve half of the weight problem I have with my iPad 3.

So it will be the mini then. :cool:
First world problems. The iPad Air is light enough that you can handle holding it without supporting it against your lap.
I don't believe you. Just because of it's size, the bigger iPad will always have a bigger leverage effect, when manipulating it with one hand on one edge. Even if it would weight as much as the smaller one, it would not be the same.

Steve Jobs got it wrong with the size. iPad mini is the normal size, iPad Air is almost too big and the rumored 13-inch iPad Pro is just ridiculously large. People would hate it, after using it for one day. They are only in love with the idea of a more productive device, which isn't even a problem of screen size.

TomD1

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
To make the perfect iPad, they need to add:

-a Touch ID sensor

-a laminated display: no air gap (like iPhone 5S and iMac)

-stereo speakers: one on the bottom and one on the top

-8MP Camera + Truetone Flash (Flash handy for flashlight, heart rate measuring etc)

-A8 Chip + 2GB Ram

-12 hours battery life: maybe possible with A8, they're close

-32GB standard

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
the sooner the better my iPad 3 is dying :(

Applecare?

----------

To make the perfect iPad, they need to add:

-a Touch ID sensor

-a laminated display: no air gap (like iPhone 5S and iMac)

-stereo speakers: one on the bottom and one on the top

-8MP Camera + Truetone Flash (Flash handy for flashlight, heart rate measuring etc)

-A8 Chip + 2GB Ram

-12 hours battery life: maybe possible with A8, they're close

-32GB standard

You forgot and all that for $ 199

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I still don't know why I need a tablet AND a laptop AND a smartphone. My Macs and my wife's Windows laptop suit perfectly our digital entertainment needs along our smartphones.

And I don't understand any reason (aside from cost) to not own a tablet. There are certainly moments when it is the better piece of machinery for an activity. If you have it, you will use it in those moments. If you don't have it you will use a non-optimal device. Sure, everything you do on an iPad can be done on your smartphone or your PC, but some activities will be nicer on the iPad.

Considering my iPad 1 is still going strong (though used by my sister and nephew), I suspect this next iPad Air to be a viable piece of technology for four to five years. So the cost versus use ratio over those five years is going to be a pretty good deal.

At least that is the way it seems to me.

----------

Thank you for confirming this to me. I already suspected the Air would only solve half of the weight problem I have with my iPad 3.

So it will be the mini then. :cool:
I don't believe you. Just because of it's size, the bigger iPad will always have a bigger leverage effect, when manipulating it with one hand on one edge. Even if it would weight as much as the smaller one, it would not be the same.

Steve Jobs got it wrong with the size. iPad mini is the normal size, iPad Air is almost too big and the rumored 13-inch iPad Pro is just ridiculously large. People would hate it, after using it for one day. They are only in love with the idea of a more productive device, which isn't even a problem of screen size.

I've got the mini. It is the one hand machine. So it will be my device for commuting on the Subway. Jobs was somewhat right in that it is just a touch too small for some things. I'm considering adding the Air 2. I can read documents on my Mini, but getting them in nearly 8 by 11 frame just like it was a piece of paper is a nicer experience (which I had with iPad 1 and 3).

The pro is silly. If it is anything, it is a touch screen desktop that is slanted on the table like a drafting board. That form factor will work, but it certainly isn't a tablet. It is a desktop.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
well ... i hope you dont use your macbook at the movies or at the club and have 394ß3943 Apple Logos glowing your way

I don't use a macbook ;) and I'm pretty sure most people don't use their iPads on those situations either.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Agree with the weight thing. Especially with a case on it gets uncomfortable holding it just to show someone a 2 minute YT video. I know the Air was a massive leap from previous generations in terms of weight and size, but I just hope Apple keep on reducing both those aspects.

While I agree, sadly I don't think they can do much more without switching to a different material. If the Air could be made out of plastic (yes I know terrible idea, Samsung blah blah) then it could be probably a lot lighter. I would love a 0.75lb Air that was otherwise exactly the same form factor with a soft-touch plastic back. It would be easier to hold, wouldn't need a case and would be lighter and maybe cheaper for Apple to make as well. But I doubt Apple would let this happen :(

attila

macrumors 6502a
iPad has always been cut out as fas as i know (for the wifi)

seriously a glowing apple logo on an iDevice would be tacky, annoying to be used in public in the dark and wasted energy

Tacky, yes. Waste energy: No. All MacBooks use the same backlight as the screen itself - it's just a hole from the other side!

Still, we know that the logo cutout has a different purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.