Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macilosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2001
Anyone have an idea when the new Tibook will arrive, and if it will house a faster MHz G4, Superdrive or CD-RW and an addition 1394 port?

iboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2001
maybe at the end of September...
faster G4 ---> sure
superdrive ---> I don't think so, but a combodrive
1394 port ---> ?

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
I am predicting in Paris a new TiBook with the following features:

600/700mhz G4s
128/256 mb Pc 100 ram
Combo drive
USB 2.0 is a possibilty, but doubtful. (does that require a motherboard revamp?)

I don't think that anything more will be added. It's selling too well and it's too soon for a complete revamp. It's possible that it will be available in maybe on extra anodized color (black anyone?) but that is completely up for grabs. What does iboy mean by a 1394 port?

-Pete

To next post: Sorry, I meant what did he mean by that considering that there is already one on there. I am very aware of firewire, it rules!! Sometimes I have to watch what I say so that I dont look like an idiot. T hanks

[Edited by ptrauber on 08-03-2001 at 12:41 PM]

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
PEOPLE!!

People dont you think we should be asking, Is an ATI RAdeon Mobilitiy or Ge-Force Go going to be put in the Ti2 powerbook? THEN IT IS an very good gaming machine, not to speak of the other aweosome features.

ciao

max

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Ti book

It should be a 600/733 processor
A better vid card. It will be a last minute change.
Usb 2.0 no. Soon though
Firewire port yes.
Memory is dirt cheap so we should give it to you for free...

jeffrs

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2001
GeForceGO

I have noticed all the WinTel notebooks carrying the new GeForce are quite fat... just wondering if the new GeForce Go will fit in the svelte TiG4 and if heat issues would be a probblem?

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
heat issues

If a plastic laptop can handle the heat, the TiBook should be able to. That was one of the reasons for Titanium, it's part of the cooling system and conducts heat rather well.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
PB G4 Upgrades

If Apple's previous product cycles are any indication, a major revamp isn't in the works. If you recall, Pismo was introduced at the start of 2000, and the only revisions that it got were an (undocumented) motherboard change in June/July (mostly to resolve problems with the FireWire ports not having enough power, thus creating problems with 3rd party devices like Orange Micro's iBot), and a boost in harddrive space in September from 6 to 10 in the low end and from 10 to (I think) 18 in the high end.

The only 2 things that should prompt a major upgrade in the PB G4 are:
1) That starting with the Pismo in early 2000, the entry level processor speed has been 400 Mhz and the high end has been 500 Mhz. G3, G4, whatever -- the Mhz configurations have remained stagnant, and that just is a little sorry considering the 900 Mhz laptops you can purchase for less than the TiBook from Dell, etc.
2) That the ATI 128 Mobility chip set is also pretty dated. It's time to move to NVIDIA like Dell and others have done.

A hard drive bump up would also be nice and is certainly possible...it's also a lot easier than putting in a new graphics board and the like.

Rather than expecting major overhauls (no way this soon after its introduction), a more likely strategy for Apple is a bit of a price cut, plus (1) and/or (2) above. I'm banking on the combination of price and features to be good enough for me to do my trade-in then....

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
as stupid as this may sound...

Simple equation. If S.Jobs puts a GeForce Go or ATIRAD Mobility in the G4 Titanium. Sales GO UP EVEN MORE. I mean, tough luck for those who bought the revision 1 Ti-Powerbook. What are they gonna do...change to PC? IF THE TECHNOLOGY IS AVAILABLE, THEN ADD THE 3d Accelerator card in the Ti revision 2 Powerbook, APPLE!! STOP WASTING TIME AS YOU HAVE IN THE PAST. Bring the lowend model to 500 MHZ and the high end to 733 by next Feb. BUT THE RADEON MOBility or Geforce go has to be in there By MWParis. PLEASEEE!! SHIP IT WITH OS X 1.0 or OSX 10.0.4.

ALSO SELL THE LOWEND Model currently BUndled with Adobe COllection (i.e premiere, ps, e.t.c.) for less than the price of the high end POwerbook. (500)

mikebach

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2001
California
Full Potenial Resolution

II worked on a Tibook before.. Love the speed hate the crowded work space due to low res. It that when you working on a brochure or magazine spread in illustrstor and/or photoshop 1024 x 768 with all the palettes open gives you a very small and cumbersome work space. At 1600x1200 with all the palettes open you work space is huge you can don't have to scroll to look at things everywhere. That was my main reason I purchase the IBM...I was just wondering if anyone thinks that in the Rev2 TiBook they will up to resolution to a higher resolution be be on par with some of the Higherend notebooks offered by IBM, Sony and Dell. Don't get me wrong..The TiBook is a great machine. I would just be perfect with a option to use it a a higher res. Any Guesses ANYONE?.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
lap warmer

have any of you stuck your hand under a Tibook that's been running for a while? Ouch!!! Not damaging but certainly would get uncomfortable after a while. Still better than Wintel's, but 733 may require an asbestos lap-blanket. Better to hope for a real video card.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: lap warmer

Originally posted by mischief
have any of you stuck your hand under a Tibook that's been running for a while? Ouch!!! Not damaging but certainly would get uncomfortable after a while. Still better than Wintel's, but 733 may require an asbestos lap-blanket. Better to hope for a real video card.

Yeah -- when I have used one, I have just used a leather folio thing (like the kind of thing people keep who wear suits put their papers in). Takes all the heat impact and saves your lap.

The thing is that if Apple and everyone weren't so obsessed with having a "thin" portable, the heat-on-the-lap issue wouldn't be a problem.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Biggest problem is copying company's

The company's like Compaq make their own Super thin laptop. "The New Compaq _________ is less then 1" thick... Is made of high quality _________ and is Fully loaded with _______ and is priced reasobally under $ ______ (I was gasping when I saw the commercial please fill in the blanks if you have seen it too.)
And Yes the ti Book Does have a heating problem, but is that Really a Problem? I used one for a lap warmer and it was more efficent then my heater! And if it really burns you please contact apple. It should spin the Hd down b4 that happens though.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: Biggest problem is copying company's

Originally posted by MrMacman
The company's like Compaq make their own Super thin laptop. "The New Compaq _________ is less then 1" thick... Is made of high quality _________ and is Fully loaded with _______ and is priced reasobally under $ ______ (I was gasping when I saw the commercial please fill in the blanks if you have seen it too.)
And Yes the ti Book Does have a heating problem, but is that Really a Problem? I used one for a lap warmer and it was more efficent then my heater! And if it really burns you please contact apple. It should spin the Hd down b4 that happens though.

Has really nothing to do with "copying companies"...has everything to do with (perceived) marketability, which results in all companies trying to pack more into a smaller chassis. Apple's creed of its PowerBooks "weighing less" didn't start with the TiBook...the same has been said of the "PowerBooks" before it (not to be confused with the PB G3 Series, which was criticized for being heavy).

As for the heat, yeah it's a problem. It's not third-degree burns type of heat, but particularly if you are working outside, it can get unbearable.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I hope the ti book gets imporvements

.5" thin! That would be a sight to be Seen! And are the ti books selling well? Hope they are. I hope we see some new Spec's soon. :) The Go vid card would be a start. And something has to come out of a the Paris MW and Seybold. It better be better than what came out of MYNY.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
1/2 inch thin may be a little too thin for me, i need to know that there is actually something there that i'm working on. and besides, the durability would drop even if it's titanium.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Gonna be the same

For better or for worse, the preferences over thickness are kind of irrelevant...PowerBooks typically enjoy a relatively long product life in terms of chassis changes, so you won't see any external modifications in this year anyway...

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
HAHAHAHH!

People, THERE IS NO LAPTOP EVER GOING TO EXIST (until a new technology allows it to) which is 1.3 centimeters thick!! HAHAHAH. The LCD screen would be like wafer and the durability of titanium needs atleast a good 2 cm. If not the full 2.5 cm = 1 inch. FREAKS MAN FREAKS!! How can anyone say that a laptop which is half an inch thick exists.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
Besides....

besides, where would the proccessor fit? Isnt the G4 more than a cm thick itself? What about hard drive?? LOL.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Paper thin LCD's

Just to point out :

Was it phillips or fujitsu that have created "plastic" lcd's which are paper thin..

These things are out there, and regardless of whether they make the systems smaller, at least it will be 100 times more dificult to damage then your standard LCD

well thats my two cents. Other then :

TiBook 2
* September
* 667mhzz only
* 256mb ram
* 20 or 30 gig HDD
* additional Firewire (or at least 1394 chip upgrade)
* Titanium or Black titanium
* 10x slot load CD burner DVD combo
And thats it I would say.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
paper thin?!?!?!

Paper THIN!?!?!?!? yeah then plastic that is paper thin is not easy to damage you tell me?? You still havent answered my question about the processor, hard drive e.t.c. I doubt they are 1.3 cm thick. BTW, this so called "paper thin" technology is actually around .75 cm thick. Now, add to that a slight titanium hull to support it and then the actual motherbody (i.e processor, laptop, keyboard) youre back to 2cm atleast.

macilosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2001
urgh!!!

Who really cares about a thin, thinner, thinest powerbook... The issue is performance a.k.a., function over form, not the pother way around.

Give me a thicker, faster,loaded Tibook over a "paper-thin," etc, etc... anyday!!!

What good is an apple skin without the tasty fruit inside???

priorities mates!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.