Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Wow, how cordial of you. Where exactly did you attend finishing school?

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
So, what did you do....did you buy one before today 1-7-03 or are you ordering a new one?

scifi451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
MN
Originally posted by Wano
So, what did you do....did you buy one before today 1-7-03 or are you ordering a new one?

I have not gotten one yet, and looks like not for a bit yet. I am waiting for the 15 inch to be upgraded whenever that will be......

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
I believe the 15" may well be updated sooner than you think. Before end of March I believe.

scifi451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
MN
Originally posted by will
I believe the 15" may well be updated sooner than you think. Before end of March I believe.
Hopefully you are right and they get updated before the end of March, so I can get one... :)

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
15" Cancelled

What about the idea that Apple will CANCEL the 15"?

They are splitting the powerbook market up into super-portable, and desktop replacement. Where does that realistically leave the 15"? I personally hope they don't can it, since I'd like to get a 15" - but then the 17" looks really good too.

All the new Powerbook ads featured just the 2 new ones, not the old 15" one - at all! So that begs the question where is the 15" one in the marketing strategy?

------------------
Wyrm

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: 15" Cancelled

Originally posted by Wyrm
What about the idea that Apple will CANCEL the 15"?

They are splitting the powerbook market up into super-portable, and desktop replacement. Where does that realistically leave the 15"? I personally hope they don't can it, since I'd like to get a 15" - but then the 17" looks really good too.

All the new Powerbook ads featured just the 2 new ones, not the old 15" one - at all! So that begs the question where is the 15" one in the marketing strategy?

------------------
Wyrm

There is no way that the 15" is being discontinued...they are most likely waiting for inventory to be cleared and then they can roll out an aluminum 15" pBook. They are in a great position with three different pBook options. 12" as the take anywhere portable pBook...15" as a truly portable desktop replacement and the 17" as a movable desktop replacement. It would be a huge mistake to discontinue the 15" pBook...so many people consider its size perfect. Plus, Steve Jobs prefaced the unveiling of the new powerbooks by saying the 15" pBook is not going anywhere.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
I believe that apple already has a 15"PB with the same features as the 17", and you are probably right with the clearing out their inventory. I also think that they want a little more feedback and want to wait to see if there is anything wrong with the 17"PB that would go wrong in the 15" too.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by Wano
I believe that apple already has a 15"PB with the same features as the 17", and you are probably right with the clearing out their inventory. I also think that they want a little more feedback and want to wait to see if there is anything wrong with the 17"PB that would go wrong in the 15" too.

Could be true, but why would they have them already if they are waiting to see if anything goews wrong with the 17" pBook? I think we'll see the 15" model soon. What do you think will happen to the iBook?

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
Re: Re: 15" Cancelled

Originally posted by JSRockit

There is no way that the 15" is being discontinued...they are most likely waiting for inventory to be cleared and then they can roll out an aluminum 15" pBook. They are in a great position with three different pBook options. 12" as the take anywhere portable pBook...15" as a truly portable desktop replacement and the 17" as a movable desktop replacement. It would be a huge mistake to discontinue the 15" pBook...so many people consider its size perfect. Plus, Steve Jobs prefaced the unveiling of the new powerbooks by saying the 15" pBook is not going anywhere.

I couldn't agree more. If (more likely when) they update the 15" to the aluminum case with the feature set of the 17" and hopefully improved resolution and battery life, that laptop, in my opinion, will be one serious desktop replacement (Ok that's a pretty pointless statement since it already is a serious desktop replacement - I'm just so anxious for them to update it).

With the improved airport, bluetooth, firewire 800, and the lighted keyboard (oh please don't take it out!), and the fact that it's only .8 lbs heavier than the 12 inch powerbook - man! I seriously cannot wait.

With regards to the iBooks - initially my thought was that they would stay around in some form, but now I think they might just get an upgrade to the 1 ghz chip and possibly some other stuff (airport extreme, bluetooh, superdrive) - but from then on the little Als will take over. Steve said all new computers will only boot into OS X, and it doesn't seem to make too much sense for the iBooks to stay G3 when OS X is altivec-enhanced, as are all the iApps. And the iBook is clearly not getting a G4 since then what would be the point of the little Al?

Didn't the original clamshell iBooks debut at around $1600? Ok, the little Al is $200 more so here's what happens - iBooks get one more rev. to 1 ghz, during this time the price of the G4s will drop and thus the so will the price of the little Als, thus bringing the little Als into the iBook price range on their next update or so, and then . . . no more iBook (by name alone that is).

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: Re: Re: 15" Cancelled

Originally posted by bentmywookie

With regards to the iBooks - initially my thought was that they would stay around in some form, but now I think they might just get an upgrade to the 1 ghz chip and possibly some other stuff (airport extreme, bluetooh, superdrive) - but from then on the little Als will take over. Steve said all new computers will only boot into OS X, and it doesn't seem to make too much sense for the iBooks to stay G3 when OS X is altivec-enhanced, as are all the iApps. And the iBook is clearly not getting a G4 since then what would be the point of the little Al?

Didn't the original clamshell iBooks debut at around $1600? Ok, the little Al is $200 more so here's what happens - iBooks get one more rev. to 1 ghz, during this time the price of the G4s will drop and thus the so will the price of the little Als, thus bringing the little Als into the iBook price range on their next update or so, and then . . . no more iBook (by name alone that is).

That's interesting...but I can't see the portable that Apple sells the most of (iBook) leaving anytime soon...unless they can get the 12" pBook down to $1299 in some form or another. However, I don't Apple think wants to ruin the pBook's rep by making a cheap version. The iBook can most certainly survive with a redesign...and can have a G4 running on a 100mhz (until the pBooks are updated) FSB....just like the eMac, iMac as opposed to the pMacs. Look at PC notebooks...there are huge price differences when buying a laptop with a 1.7Ghz P4 as opposed to a 2.2Ghz P4...why can't Apple do the same with the iBook? Just give it a slower G4...I know this most likely won't happen...but could.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.