Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Just installed the new pre-RC1 build, 5536-16385 (no, I don't understand what's up with this long build number), and without any trickeration, Vista runs Aero without any problems on my Mac mini with 1 GB RAM! I installed it, went into the Color control panel, and Vista Aero was listed right there.

Other cool notes: The new 5536 build includes the Mac mini's AirPort driver right off the install, so you don't need to install the Macintosh Drivers disk to get online. In fact, the only things that needed to be installed from that disk (as far as I can tell) were Bluetooth (although my BT keyboard and mouse worked perfectly from the get-go) and the audio driver for the Mac mini.

If you've tried Vista before and didn't like it, give it another shot. This new build is MUCH more impressive than 5472 or anything earlier.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Nermal said:
Does it still break the EFI partition?
You know, I didn't test that. <whacks self in forehead> In my defense, I basically installed the new build over top of an older build, for which I had previously whacked the EFI partition, so it wasn't an issue at all this time.

I suppose I can try restoring my Mac mini to spec (using the EFI restore process and then using Boot Camp to eliminate the Windows partition), but I won't be able to try that until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.

Suffice to say, this new build seems so good so far that I am considering installing it on my main Windows PC... as a dual-boot (I ain't THAT stupid!).

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
MacRumorUser said:
How do you get the new build Clayj? I am registered with the public beta - is thias a free update?
I got like three e-mails about it yesterday... I forget which program I'm in, but it involves downloading new builds from connect.microsoft.com.

I about to try to restore my Mac mini's partitions to factory spec, and then install Vista with no special steps and see if it works... that is, unless someone can tell me for sure that it does. :)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
That's very interesting.

I haven't been following the Vista builds, but does this pretty much mean that Apple and Microsoft are working together to ensure that Vista will work out of the box on Intel Macs, fully loaded with drivers?

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
OK, I just confirmed: With this new build of Vista, you do NOT need to zap the EFI partition. Here are my steps (after restoring the machine's partitions to their original configuration):

1. Run Boot Camp Assistant and create partition for Windows (I went with 24 GB in size).

2. Insert Vista CD (*not* Windows XP CD) when prompted and start its installation.

3. Install Vista to the new partition you created. Do NOT delete or mess with any other partitions.

4. Enjoy the Setup process. :)

One note: When Vista Setup first rebooted, it rebooted into Mac OS X. I don't know why it did this (i.e., whether it's normal). I went into the Startup Disk control panel in Mac OS X and told it to restart "Windows on Untitled", and when the machine restarted, Vista Setup continued without any error messages. As far as I can tell so far, the EFI partition is completely intact and I am guessing that a good dual-boot should be possible without having to hold down the OPTION key to boot Mac OS X (as has been necessary previously with the deleted-EFI option).

More news as I get it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Great news clayj indeed....

Is this update of vista only for specific testers (i.e not like the public beta) as I never recieved update notification, and my account doesnt seem to be seen for that link you specified above....

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
MacRumorUser said:
Is this update of vista only for specific testers (i.e not like the public beta)

Correct, it's for MSDN and probably some other types too, but not the public beta. Fortunately I have MSDN so I'm going to give it a go :D

It's good to hear that it doesn't screw around with EFI now :)

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Nermal said:
Correct, it's for MSDN and probably some other types too, but not the public beta. Fortunately I have MSDN so I'm going to give it a go :D

One note on that: The Apple control panel that's supposed to get installed in Windows (so you can switch back to booting to Mac OS X)... it doesn't get installed (or it didn't for me, anyway, after several attempts), and I haven't figured out how to get it installed. So if you want to boot back to Mac OS X, you're probably going to have to hold the OPTION key down during boot and select OS X.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Nermal said:

Any idea when/if it will be available for the public beta testers? :confused:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
EricNau said:
Any idea when/if it will be available for the public beta testers? :confused:

Apparently Release Candidate 1 is going to be the next public release. I think it was planned for the end of August, but a few days ago I heard that it may be pushed back to September. Conversely, I've heard that 5536 may be renamed RC1.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thanks Clayj & Nermal :)

Is performance better in the new build or is it still a bit sluggish and a memory hound ?

coorspate

macrumors regular
May 20, 2006
MacRumorUser said:
Thanks Clayj & Nermal :)

Is performance better in the new build or is it still a bit sluggish and a memory hound ?

the performance is much better on my dell c400. im going to try on a macbook pro now.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I'm installing the new build now.

I'm upgrading over my XP install.

Heres a giggle.

The following applications are not compatible with Windows Vista :

Halo

Turns out Halo wont run on Vista eh? So now an MS product wont work with an MS product.

lol.

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
is there anyways i can get this new build of vista? i dont have a sp2 disk or feel like slip streaming a disk either (xp) and my main pc uses media center

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2005
California
clayj said:
If you've tried Vista before and didn't like it, give it another shot. This new build is MUCH more impressive than 5472 or anything earlier.

I dont know why but i want to kick you :)

man why are you going around advertising windoes, deep down its all the same.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Pistol Pete said:
I dont know why but i want to kick you :)

man why are you going around advertising windoes, deep down its all the same.

Not all users are just Mac users. Some people like Mac and PC.

Like on my desk there is a Pentium 4 HT PC, a Powermac G4 Digital Audio, and then a Celeron 2.5 GHz testbox for different OSes. Theres 5 monitors in total. 2 for the PC, 2 for the Mac, and one for the testbox.

I enjoy both Macs and PCs, and many others do as well. :)

My desk is a pool table in case anyone was wondering how I fit all this stuff on it. :p

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
ReanimationLP said:
My desk is a pool table in case anyone was wondering how I fit all this stuff on it. :p
How could you do that to a pool table?! :eek::(

I was a Windows user for many years, but I now absolutely despise it. But from what I've seen of Vista, it doesn't look too bad, of course that's primarily because it's stealing everything from OS X. :rolleyes:

I don't know, I might just have to throw together a cheap Vista box after it comes out just to give it a go.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
ReanimationLP said:
Heres a giggle.

The following applications are not compatible with Windows Vista :

Halo

Turns out Halo wont run on Vista eh? So now an MS product wont work with an MS product.

lol.

It isn't quite funny for devs like myself. We are facing release issues because of the things the Vista team toyed with in Beta 2 (UAC/LUA) that we simply didn't have time to investigate during the timeframe they introduced such a large change. Games can and will break because of the DirectX re-write they did... and the thing is, nobody will know the full extent of the breakage until RTM since there are still bugs being hammered out there.

And I work in the same company... I feel really sorry for the devs who don't have access to resources we do to fix issues... UAC/LUA changes are going to bite a lot of installer packages really hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.