Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So…

One company (CDPR), decides to make their next game in one series (The Witcher), which has never had a Mac release, instead of their in-house engine (which we can assume has zero Mac compatibility), in Unreal 5 which has better, if not perfect Mac compatibility than said in-house engine.

And from these facts we are to deduce that gaming on the Mac is dead?
To be fair there are a lot of UE games that do not have Mac ports (like FF7 Remake for example). Doesn't mean CDPR will bother making Witcher 4 MacOS...

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
So…

One company (CDPR), decides to make their next game in one series (The Witcher), which has never had a Mac release, ...
Sure about that?

Unbenannt 2.jpg

Unbenannt.jpg

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Fortnite does have an RT mode (no one uses) that could probably benefit from switching off the "legacy pipeline" and onto Lumen.
Had to watch a comparison video on YouTube for this, as I don't have Fortnite installed anymore (I played a little back when it came out). Still not convinced there would be any advantage of Lumen for this except maybe (just maybe) for water. The massive benefit of Lumen should be with photorealistic scenes. Time will tell.
Okay, Witcher 3.
Same engine as Witcher 2, except some modifications to keep up with time. It was their choice not to bring it to the Mac. That being said, do we know if Witcher 4 will make it to Mac? Just because they're using UE5 doesn't automatically mean it will run and be released on Mac.

The choice for UE5 for this type of open world game makes sense. The engine can handle it and it's much cheaper than making a modern custom engine. Unity would have trouble with this, the only other alternative would be CryEngine unless they'd buy a custom engine from a competitor.

Reactions: Irishman

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
To be fair there are a lot of UE games that do not have Mac ports (like FF7 Remake for example). Doesn't mean CDPR will bother making Witcher 4 MacOS...
Which I stand by my assertion that the core issue is not compatibility nor lack of skill, considering many companies also release ios games as well on engines that support iOS (although separate titles), just a lack of desire to release titles on the Mac.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Same engine as Witcher 2, except some modifications to keep up with time. It was their choice not to bring it to the Mac. That being said, do we know if Witcher 4 will make it to Mac? Just because they're using UE5 doesn't automatically mean it will run and be released on Mac.

The choice for UE5 for this type of open world game makes sense. The engine can handle it and it's much cheaper than making a modern custom engine. Unity would have trouble with this, the only other alternative would be CryEngine unless they'd buy a custom engine from a competitor.
I feel like I should clarify my point:

I don’t know if, nor believe The Witcher 4 will have a Mac release. And frankly I don’t care.

My point is that it’s hardly a benchmark to determine the entire future of games on the Mac by a single release, during a processor transition, from a company that hasn’t really gave a **** about the Mac for almost a decade now.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Lol, next TR is using UE5.....
Makes sense. The old TR engine is 10+ years old. Time for something new and UE5 matured enough to handle all these standard action adventure games like TR or Shooter/Battle Royal type games. It saves a ton of money using a off-the-shelf engine and if there's no special need for a custom engine, it's the right choice. Unity would probably struggle a lot for TR.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Makes sense. The old TR engine is 10+ years old. Time for something new and UE5 matured enough to handle all these standard action adventure games like TR or Shooter/Battle Royal type games. It saves a ton of money using a off-the-shelf engine and if there's no special need for a custom engine, it's the right choice. Unity would probably struggle a lot for TR.
I wonder if Unity team is shopping their engine around to "big" dev/publishers in hope to score a conversion from a in house system. (Activision uses Unity for CoD:Mobile with no apparent plans on converting over to the IW Engine)

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I wonder if Unity team is shopping their engine around to "big" dev/publishers in hope to score a conversion from a in house system. (Activision uses Unity for CoD:Mobile with no apparent plans on converting over to the IW Engine)
As far as shopping, yes big studios are well aware of it. I'm sure anyone will pick the right engine for the job, it's just that expensive titles are made to look photo realistic, where UE is the better choice over Unity. Or they have specific needs, then it's a in-house engine.

As for CoD:Mobile, they tested both UE and Unity. The UE graphics looked better, Unity has less detail and worse lighting effects. However, for a mobile game, that's probably not important. The difference was not massive, probably limited by mobile devices hardware. I guess it's much cheaper for them to use Unity though.

As for the IW engine, they had it reworked for version 8. It is a very customizable engine from what I know, so that might be the reason to keep it alive and going vs. using UE4/5. That's also the reason why some pick CryEngine over UE. That being said, that's on Epic. They don't make it exactly easy to customize UE and usability doesn't seem to be their primary interest either.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
CD Projekt Red...

Unless Apple opens the wallet..sadly it's not going to happen. I'm somewhat hopeful that when the new Mac Pro launches (probably WWDC 22) Apple will have extended Metal to accept AMD GPUs which might feed a flicker of hope, but if I'm being 100% honest I suspect Apple will roll out an Apple discreet GPU that a hand full of companies will support.

Last edited:

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I somewhat hopeful that when the new Mac Pro launches (probably WWDC 22) Apple will have extended Metal to accept AMD GPUs which might feed a flicker of hope, but if I'm being 100% honest I suspect Apple will roll out an Apple discreet GPU that a hand full of companies will support.
??? Metal always worked on AMD GPUs, so what would change?
Also why would Apple role out a discreet GPU when their new paradigm is unified memory? Or are you saying they implement unified memory with external GPUs? How?

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
??? Metal always worked on AMD GPUs...

Nvidia too, but the bad blood between Apple and Nvidia makes it less likely. Ultimately internal adoption of MoltenVK and CUDA code access by whatever means should be priority #1.

There has to be a reason Apple is even holding on to the modular Mac Pro concept as a working blueprint for a product they continue to spend money in R&D on.

If they found a way to move the "UltraFusion" interconnect to a nearby "discreet" slot that would make sense and if they found a way to Rosetta-ize CUDA code to their GPUs I would be fine with that too. The point is that I don't see them making almost the same identical mistake they made with the Mac Pro (7,1)

Personally, I don't care how they ingest the CUDA code, Streamcore processor code and get Metal working with Vulkan it's just critical that they find a way to make it happen.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Nvidia too, but the bad blood between Apple and Nvidia makes it less likely. Ultimately internal adoption of MoltenVK and CUDA code access by whatever means should be priority #1.
Since Nvidia doesn't work on modern Mac hardware anymore, there's no need to run Metal on Nvidia GPUs. Nvidia isn't coming back and neither is AMD to stay, they're the past for Apple.

There has to be a reason Apple is even holding on to the modular Mac Pro concept as a working blueprint for a product they continue to spend money in R&D on.
Keeping the Mac Pro up and alive isn't that expensive anymore. There's no research and development for it anymore, only maintenance. The reason is simple, it's by far the most powerful machine Apple has right now. They don't have a M-series chip that can keep up with it in every task, only in selected benchmarks for marketing.

If they found a way to move the "UltraFusion" interconnect to a nearby "discreet" slot that would make sense and if they found a way to Rosetta-ize CUDA code to their GPUs I would be fine with that too.
Too expensive and physically too difficult to do to become feasible. Sure it could be done, but not in this "low cost" price segment. More thinking about full blown Nvidia DGX. So, maybe $200k for such a Mac Pro?

Personally, I don't care how they ingest the CUDA code, Streamcore processor code and get Metal working with Vulkan it's just critical that they find a way to make it happen.
That's not going to happen. CUDA is proprietary and only works on Nvidia hardware by definition. CUDA is not open source, so not anyone can use it, you need to buy an Nvidia card to do it. Nvidia isn't going to license it to Apple either, they want to sell hardware.

There have been a number projects trying to run CUDA code on non Nvidia hardware. They all failed, because it's a translation layer or emulation which comes with a massive performance hit. And neither is Vulkan going to happen, Apple moved away from CUDA, from OpenGL and Vulkan/MoltenVK. Technically we still have MoltenVK, but it's 3rd party and Apple is not going to utilize it. They have their own API which is tailored to their own hardware. The rest is just wishful thinking.

And for the record, I too would massively benefit from Nvidia cards in Macs, which would make porting my stuff so much easier. But it's just not going to happen, which is the reason I'm running Mac Pro class Dell machines now and the Mac Pros are collecting dust.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Too expensive and physically too difficult to do to become feasible. Sure it could be done, but not in this "low cost" price segment. More thinking about full blown Nvidia DGX. So, maybe $200k for such a Mac Pro?

I know some people that would be very happy with MacOs based Nvidia DGX server room.

Apple does have the tendency of engineering things many companies can't. I don't even care if Apple wants to become an Nvidia OEM and reorganize the card, add CUDA cores to the Mx mix or a whole new line of SOCs, which is going to have to happen anyway. Whatever...they just need to get working CUDA cores ASAP.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Apple does have the tendency of engineering things many companies can't. I don't even care if Apple wants to become an Nvidia OEM and reorganize the card, add CUDA cores to the Mx mix or a whole new line of SOCs, which is going to have to happen anyway. Whatever...they just need to get working CUDA cores ASAP.
So we're putting this in the "wishful thinking but never going to happen" box then?
So no one has been able to compile the demo on MacOS? These results above are kind of brutal for the hardware involved.
Have not tried this one at all yet, might give it a try when time allows.

Reactions: diamond.g

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

So no one has been able to compile the demo on MacOS? These results above are kind of brutal for the hardware involved.

It wouldn’t be the first time that a new launch title arrived grossly unoptimized.

From what I’ve learned, UE5 still isn’t running natively on Apple Silicon yet, so it’s still being limited by Rosetta 2.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The demo is only for Windows.
As in it doesn’t show up as a download on MacOS?
It wouldn’t be the first time that a new launch title arrived grossly unoptimized.

From what I’ve learned, UE5 still isn’t running natively on Apple Silicon yet, so it’s still being limited by Rosetta 2.
From a GPU perspective, how much does Rosetta 2 limit GPU API calls (as in if the output is Metal how much does Rosetta affect things?)

This video seems to imply that Rosetta doesn’t matter much when you are GPU limited.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
From a GPU perspective, how much does Rosetta 2 limit GPU API calls (as in if the output is Metal how much does Rosetta affect things?)

In practice, probably not much. But regardless, UE5 not running natively just shows the complete lack of effort. Can't say I am surprised given the relationship between the two companies at the moment.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
That's not what it means. It's listed as Windows only in the store. What that means is that it's guaranteed to work on Windows. It could work in Linux/macOS, but it's just not been tested. Or it means it doesn't work on Linux/macOS at all. Impossible to say.
Not much unless you do fancy stuff, then things can get ugly.

Reactions: Irishman and Homy

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden

As said above it's only listed for Windows. Maybe it will work in some way on Mac but just because a game is done in UE for Windows and UE works on Mac it doesn't mean the game itself is compatible with Mac. There are lots of Windows games done in UE that aren't available for Mac. The demo should be considered as a game. Like when you choose in Xcode which CPU you want to port to, Intel or Apple Silicon.

Maybe I'm wrong but if it could run on Mac we would have seen someone share a video of it already. There are none.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.