Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
New World MMORPG
DC9AD192-C496-484E-8697-2CE0555DA783.jpeg

Available for preorder on Steam, a new no-**** MMO, New World from Amazon Studio. If you buy it now, you get access to the beta this month and the game goes retail in August. I’m trying to decide if I want to step onto the MMO hamster wheel again. No subscription, a huge plus. Is this on your radar?

Last edited:

tyc0746

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2019
Liverpool, UK
I pre-ordered it a few months back, but as I saw more of the preview trailers and realised the PvE parts were minimal, I decided to cancel.

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just watched the trailer, this doesn't look like something that I would be willing to play.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The game took a strep back last summer as I recall. Closed beta is going on right now. About 8 of my guild mates are playing. I applied, but did not get an invite and in hindsight this maybe good because I’ve burned out on betas in the past.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The game took a strep back last summer as I recall. Closed beta is going on right now. About 8 of my guild mates are playing. I applied, but did not get an invite and in hindsight this maybe good because I’ve burned out on betas in the past.
I am kind of surprised no one has any commentary on this game destroying (some) GPU’s.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I am kind of surprised no one has any commentary on this game destroying (some) GPU’s.
Probably because not very many people own RTX 3090's, which is the GPU that's most reported of dying. JayzTwoCents mentioned that people reporting to him that AMD 6000 series and lower RTX 30 series cards are dying too... but not as much as 3090 owners. I own a 3090, but I'm not a fan of open world mmo games... so never had any desire to play this game... even before it was reported killing GPU's.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well, it's been out for a short while. I'm not playing it. I've read the reviews at Steam which are mixed. Some have to do with long queues, others have to do with the questing and overall game atmosphere.

For myself, I just can't get myself into MMO Mode otherwise known as the Hamster Wheel. Some reports call it grindy and uninspired quests. I'm just not up for kill and collect. Most of the quests I'm doing in Greedfall have to do with story lines and conflict between the natives and the colonials which I find very interesting, and I know there are not another 1000 players doing the same thing.

Yes, playing with friends can be fun, but I've read the quest chains are non existent or different players get different quests, or you can't control starting areas, so it makes it hard to team up with others. And I'm having some real engagement in my solo RPGs, GreedFall, where I don't feel I'm in a world polluted with players, and it feels like I'm reaching a resolution so I can move on, intead of endless end game fillers. :D

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Jay2Cents says turning the power limit down to 50% (MSI Afterburner) if playing at 4K helps. It seems the problem only happens when selecting 4K.
Yeah, I'm watching is latest video and he's zeroing in on how to avoid damaging your GPU

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve been observing my Grandson play this. The graphics are 100x better than WoW, great environmental atmosphere, not slamming WoW, ;) but the gameplay feels just like WoW, kill and collect, voluntary PVP unless your guild owns a town and another faction declares war on you. That is different, but I can’t say it is going to be a routine with staying power. Who knows, maybe… There are dungeons too. How long before players get bored fighting over towns? You don’t even have cool tanks to shoot at each other with (See Planetside ref). ;)

It seems like there can be a lot of time spent on defending territory…if you want too. There are factions and there are companies (guilds). Companies belong to factions, if I understand it correctly, guilds take over towns, possibly with the help of their faction. If you own a town it does not keep anyone out, you can be any faction and walk into a town owned by another guild/faction and not be attacked. However there is monetary advantages to town/territory ownership like taxes that help the owners beef up the town with defenses. Now beyond that, I don’t know what other advantages there are to town ownership to the guild, or to the faction. It might just be the status of seeing the map the color of your faction? Upgraded towns do have upgraded crafting stations and I think anyone can use them, but you pay taxes to do so? Not sure. ?

At this stage in my gaming life, I see no attraction to getting on this mouse wheel. I played Planetside for over a year, the constant quest to control territory, and had a great time, but eventually burned out. Tried it again early this year and the bloom was off the rose. These days I have a much better time enjoying solo RPGs, take my time, deal with issues, not be overrun with a thousand tourists in Westworld. ;) Solo RPGs can actually feel profound. Now MMORPGS feel to me, more like theme parks.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Probably because not very many people own RTX 3090's, which is the GPU that's most reported of dying. JayzTwoCents mentioned that people reporting to him that AMD 6000 series and lower RTX 30 series cards are dying too... but not as much as 3090 owners. I own a 3090, but I'm not a fan of open world mmo games... so never had any desire to play this game... even before it was reported killing GPU's.
I find that rather shocking. I wonder if settings can be adjusted to avoid it, and what settings those would be? ?

• Haha
Reactions: diamond.g

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I find that rather shocking. I wonder if settings can be adjusted to avoid it, and what settings those would be? ?
You need to lower the power limit of your GPU via the MSI Afterburner app.

JayzTwoCents shows a GPU pulling in nearly 400 watts on a GPU - which is crazy. I get that these high end GPU pull in a lot of power but his video is interesting.

I'm ok with avoiding this game, my GPU while not new (RTX 2060) I'd rather not risk damaging my GPU

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

JayzTwoCents shows a GPU pulling in nearly 400 watts on a GPU - which is crazy. I get that these high end GPU pull in a lot of power but his video is interesting.

I'm ok with avoiding this game, my GPU while not new (RTX 2060) I'd rather not risk damaging my GPU
It also appears to be a bug in the 4K resolution as well. Jay2Cents said the consumption wasn't that high when playing in 1440p.

Reactions: maflynn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

My grandson researched it and decided that limiting frames to 60fps was the answer to cool things down. At least that is what he said. With all the money invested in these cards, I’d think they have an over heat warning or better yet an overheat auto-emergency mode.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
My grandson researched it and decided that limiting frames to 60fps was the answer to cool things down. At least that is what he said. With all the money invested in these cards, I’d think they have an over heat warning or better yet an overheat auto-emergency mode.
It isn't overheating per se. It is more of a power draw issue. If the power supplying components aren't up to snuff you can pull more power than they are rated for before over current protection kicks in and that is what kills the card.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’d think they have an over heat warning or better yet an overheat auto-emergency mode.
Two things, first its not overheating, its pulling so much power that its some of the solder joints or components cannot handle and blow. Secondly, no game, especially from a publisher that's trying to establish itself would ever issue a warning that if you don't set your GPU a certain way it will damage it.

In fact Amazon was quick to blame the GPU card makers when the game was in beta, I'm not sure what their response is for the early reports of GPU failures on the launch of the game. I don't know if these failures are continuing or just a rash of issues on launch. Personally, its not a game that I'm willing to take a chance - granted my card is probably old enough that it may not push it over the edge - but the keyword is "probably" That's not something I'm willing to risk

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Two things, first its not overheating, its pulling so much power that its some of the solder joints or components cannot handle and blow. Secondly, no game, especially from a publisher that's trying to establish itself would ever issue a warning that if you don't set your GPU a certain way it will damage it.

In fact Amazon was quick to blame the GPU card makers when the game was in beta, I'm not sure what their response is for the early reports of GPU failures on the launch of the game. I don't know if these failures are continuing or just a rash of issues on launch. Personally, its not a game that I'm willing to take a chance - granted my card is probably old enough that it may not push it over the edge - but the keyword is "probably" That's not something I'm willing to risk
If you don't play at 4K it most likely isn't an issue.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
"Most likely" That's not enough to assuage any fears - especially given the state of the the GPU market, I have little to no chance of replacing my RTX 2060 super and even if I were able to get an identical one, it most likely will cost me 2x what its worth in 2021

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
"Most likely" That's not enough to assuage any fears - especially given the state of the the GPU market, I have little to no chance of replacing my RTX 2060 super and even if I were able to get an identical one, it most likely will cost me 2x what its worth in 2021
That is fair. I haven't been keeping up with the New World reddit page so I am not sure if the problem is just 30 series cards or if it affect 20 series as well (and AMD cards).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
t affect 20 series as well (and AMD cards).
Truth be told, I'm sure its mostly 30x but until we hear from amazon on what the cause it, i'm not taking any chances. i also don't think we'll ever hear from amazon, they may identify the cause and quietly patch it, but they'll never take full responsibility as that means they'll be open to lawsuits

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It isn't overheating per se. It is more of a power draw issue. If the power supplying components aren't up to snuff you can pull more power than they are rated for before over current protection kicks in and that is what kills the card.

I just assumed it was a heat issue. I’m not an engineer so what follows is mostly speculation, maybe ignorant speculation. :)

If solder on the graphic card is melting I’d assume this is heat issue, but I’m not arguing here, just explaining why I thought it was a temperature issue. ? I’m not playing this game, just asking some questions. I have a free utility on my PC that tells me at what temperature my 2070 card is functioning at. I’ll assume this would not allow adequately monitor of the issue?

Is this a new kind of an issue or has it existed before this? If it’s an issue with the powerful supply not being powerful enough, although we know what they are rated at, and that the draw on the card is rated at.

So something is causing these cards to try to draw more power than is available, or more power than they should be drawing? I would presume to make an analogy (maybe not accurate) in a home circuit, of a wire being too small say 15 amp, where you are running a dryer that needs a 30 amp circuit. The wire will overheat and ideally trip the circuit breaker.

I wonder what the specific reason Amazon could blame GPU makers, as in what flaw in their manufacturing process causes this? And what is it about New World that makes it different to cause this? Looking at NW, it’s graphics are impressive.

I would still imagine ideally with a power draw issue, the card might still have some kind of circuitry that sees an issue and does something like auto reduces the resolution it is producing or throws up a warning before your card melts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.