Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If solder on the graphic card is melting I’d assume this is heat issue,
Its one of a number of failure points, the killing of the GPU isn't tied to one specific failure. Various ICs on the GPU were shown to be impacted.

As for the solder, I think its more along the lines of too much power traveling through a weakened joint that caused it to fail. So to my uneducated perspective, I don't think the heat was melting the solder away but excessive power was travelling through the circuits causing the circuits to burn out (yes I'm using a word related to heat). I'm trying to make a distinction where the GPU gets hot and the heat syncs unable to cool the GPU vs sending over 400+ watts onto circuits/components not designed to handle such a load

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Its one of a number of failure points, the killing of the GPU isn't tied to one specific failure. Various ICs on the GPU were shown to be impacted.

As for the solder, I think its more along the lines of too much power traveling through a weakened joint that caused it to fail. So to my uneducated perspective, I don't think the heat was melting the solder away but excessive power was travelling through the circuits causing the circuits to burn out (yes I'm using a word related to heat). I'm trying to make a distinction where the GPU gets hot and the heat syncs unable to cool the GPU vs sending over 400+ watts onto circuits/components not designed to handle such a load
That is a mechanism that I don’t understand. All your components are connected to the power source, a main and secondary plug goes to the mob powering it, from which the GPU picks some/most? of it’s power, but my impression the connector that plugs into the board is data distribution for the monitor too. And it it has a seperate power cord or two to power fans and such. I just don’t know enough to know how a card gets more wattage than it is designed to get.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
That is a mechanism that I don’t understand. All your components are connected to the power source, a main and secondary plug goes to the mob powering it, from which the GPU picks some/most? of it’s power, but my impression the connector that plugs into the board is data distribution for the monitor too. And it it has a seperate power cord or two to power fans and such. I just don’t know enough to know how a card gets more wattage than it is designed to get.
Mostly, the 8 pin (12 for Founder cards) "PCIe" power connectors are not really hard limited to 150 watts. Plus all these higher end GPU's with 3 of them means you can pull 450+ watts from them (ignoring power from the PCIe connector itself). If the IC's and VRM's on the GPU are not rated for the power being drawn, they go poof. GPU's usually have (complex?) circuitry that limits the power drawn (amperage and voltage) but in the case of New World it swings over the limits too fast for the circuitry to keep up.

The only other time I've heard of software nuking GPU's is with Furmark (which has a warning telling you it can and will destroy weak cards).

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Looks like a lot of time can be spent, taking and holding territory PVP gameplay in New World. I did this in Planetside and Planetside 2, but there I had tanks. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I wonder what the latest is on New World? In my guild for several months everyone was hot playing New World, now no one is. I’m mostly inactive with my guild, but can see what people are playing. Anyone still active, care to comment?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The Steamchart numbers are not looking promising but they don't look horrible. Zooming in on the 48 hour and 7 day metrics they're under 50k, but is 50k a bad number? I think many games would love to have that many, but this is a game that came with a ton of hype.
1643025100101.png

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The Steamchart numbers are not looking promising but they don't look horrible. Zooming in on the 48 hour and 7 day metrics they're under 50k, but is 50k a bad number? I think many games would love to have that many, but this is a game that came with a ton of hype.
View attachment 1948662
I’ve seen YT vids that claim the game is basically broken and Amazon isn’t fixing it. So that could account for the low player count.

• Sad

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’ve seen YT vids that claim the game is basically broken and Amazon isn’t fixing it. So that could account for the low player count.
Yeah, I've heard similar recounts, I just popped over to newworld subreddit and there seems to be a lot of complaints. Someone told me that February will be dedicated for bug fixing and not new content.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I might blame the card makers. I mean they are supposed to design their product so it say shuts down or self limits itself before melting, but acknowledged I’m not an engineer. ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I might blame the card makers. I mean they are supposed to design their product so it say shuts down or self limits itself before melting, but acknowledged I’m not an engineer. ?
I'm sure there is enough blame for everyone but the software was pushing the cards beyond a capability that the card makers did not account for. One one hand, its hard to account for every known and unknown variable and I think this could be the situation. I don't know as I'm not an engineer.

I know Amazon is blaming card makers, and card makers are blaming amazon. I also know that Amazon patched their code to stop this from occurring. It happened both during the beta and when it was released to the general public.

I'm more inclined to believe that it was incredibly poor coding on Amazon's part because no other game has ever bricked a GPU before. While its possible that software can ruin hardware, it is a rarity. Secondly, as mentioned, they patched the game (denying it was them lets them avoid liability and paying for new gpus) and finally it seems that this was spanning across multiple card makers, so it wasn't a manufacturing defect affecting a few cards.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I'm sure there is enough blame for everyone but the software was pushing the cards beyond a capability that the card makers did not account for. One one hand, its hard to account for every known and unknown variable and I think this could be the situation. I don't know as I'm not an engineer.

I know Amazon is blaming card makers, and card makers are blaming amazon. I also know that Amazon patched their code to stop this from occurring. It happened both during the beta and when it was released to the general public.

I'm more inclined to believe that it was incredibly poor coding on Amazon's part because no other game has ever bricked a GPU before. While its possible that software can ruin hardware, it is a rarity. Secondly, as mentioned, they patched the game (denying it was them lets them avoid liability and paying for new gpus) and finally it seems that this was spanning across multiple card makers, so it wasn't a manufacturing defect affecting a few cards.
I know fur mark has a warning that it can nuke your GPU, but in the case of NW it seemed like the game was somehow causing (some) cards to ignore their power limits. Which if you have bad/poor components you then have a problem.

Reactions: maflynn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

My point was that if a GPU is overtaxed and heat is the issue, I imagine they could if they wanted to, design it so it would first warn of approaching limits and then shut down prior to melting. I admit it might not be that simple. ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My point was that if a GPU is overtaxed and heat is the issue
Why only that game in this history of game playing? Consider Crysis, which back in the day, brought GPUs to their knees, but never caused them to cook themselves to death (AFAIK), or Cyberpunk 2077.

I don't even think New World is even as demanding graphically speaking as cyberpunk 2077 but yet here we are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Why only that game in this history of game playing? Consider Crysis, which back in the day, brought GPUs to their knees, but never caused them to cook themselves to death (AFAIK), or Cyberpunk 2077.

I don't even think New World is even as demanding graphically speaking as cyberpunk 2077 but yet here we are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And if they had circuitry that shut down a card before it melted, then it would be easy to say, Amazon your game is too demanding because everyone's cards would be shutting down before being bricked and everyone would be happier. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
New World 2 years later, (released,last year) anyone playing? Just wondering if new content is being added. From a high of about 900k players these article says the daily player numbers are down from something like 14k.

Me and MMOs, and I think it has been a been there done that. The world becomes a big Disney, in this case Amazon theme park. I still participate in online PVP, but it is in the shape of 15 minute fights, not a long term obligation with other people where you keep up or get left behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.