Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Hero class.
Changeable hairstyles.
Inscription Profession.

All I can say is HOLY CRAP!

lizzard is proud to officially announce the next World of Warcraft expansion set, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King! With the opening of the Dark Portal, and the renewed war to stop the Burning Crusade's destruction of worlds, the heroes of Azeroth have given little thought to the frozen wastes of Northrend – and the terrible, ancient powers that wait there. Yet the brooding evils of the fallen Nerubian empire and their malevolent sovereign have not forgotten Azeroth...

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King™ will open the forbidding wasteland of Northrend to exploration by the hardiest adventurers. New levels of power, challenging new dungeons and encounters, an exciting new character profession, and the game's first hero class are just some of the new features awaiting players in Wrath of the Lich King.

For more information, make sure to read the official press release and then check out our new expansion site for screenshots, concept art, the new expansion's announcement trailer, and much, much more!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm looking forward to it already :)

My only request is that this time they release it in NZ on the same day as in the US.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
For some reason this makes me want to think that they're nearing completion on SC 2. :cool:

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I sure hope they don't get into the same routine as EQ currently is, ie. a minor expansion every six months that adds almost nothing to the game. Burning Crusade was pushing it by adding very little content for the price.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I sure hope they don't get into the same routine as EQ currently is, ie. a minor expansion every six months that adds almost nothing to the game. Burning Crusade was pushing it by adding very little content for the price.
I have to agree, I hope they don't let WoW get too fragmented. They should be generating new content to keep the subscriptions flowing in, not worrying about 'expansions' IMHO.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Burning Crusade turned me away from WoW. Although this expansion sounds promising, I hope they could add some content that would get casual/people-that-don't-want-to-invest-so-much-time-into-one-game to play it. Getting drops from raids has never worked out for me and every guild I've been with disbands. My friend has been trying to PvP his way to epic which seems to be the best option, although requires a decent investment still.

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
Alot of people think that Blizzard should be able to finance these "expansions" in the same way as the normal patches, i.e., through subscription fees. While I think that would be a better way (I pay less :), no fragmentation of playerbase etc.) Blizzard knows it can charge for them and subsequently will.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
Huh? BC added 11 new zones and heaps of new instances, and was cheap too. I'm confused.

A mere ten dollars less than the original retail price of the game is a bit much for an expansion that contains less than a quarter of the content of the original game. I know it's only my opinion, but as much as I love RPGs, these MMOs really seem to lack something for me.

Flaki

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
Hi

"Welcome to Northrend!
Please collect 15 magic ice":p

Well it will the same farming cycle, what's the point, it's not even fun anymore,

level cap to 80

And 1% of the WOW players haven't ever discovered naxx!
they put new content witch reqier hardcore raider and to be in it you need good gear(the farming cycle which is why i have stopped playing WoW)

I hope Warhammer Age of Reckoning life up to the hype.
It will be more casual friendly.

MyJelleo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2007
My flame of love for WOW has fizzled out. Before I would have been very excited about this news, but all the fetch and deliver quests have left their mark. O and getting reported to a GM for saying Masturbate didn't help much either.

City of Heroes on the other hand has caught my eye.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I am looking forward to this expansion. It does get old questing for xp/gold/etc. and raiding endlessly for purples that are outdated 2 levels into the next expansion; but I've been playing Warcraft since the original and I enjoy the story in the games (regardless of how they have to be altered/manipulated every so often). WC3 and WC3 The Frozen Throne were lots of fun for me. Now that game and story are going to be the basis for an expansion.....so I can't wait :)

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Is this for purchase or is it a freebie? All I can say is...suckers....:p

RRP of £30 in the UK, bought mine online day of UK launch for £18 - price dropped to £10 with a few months of release.

Pretty good value i reckon, although thay could have gave away a months free play.

O and getting reported to a GM for saying Masturbate didn't help much either.

LOL

Not allowed to type Peninsula either.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005

I agree, BC added very little dimension to the game. Besides new instances, races and zones the basic game is STILL the same, the "updates" were cosmetic and didn't do anything new for the whole WoW experience. You still do the same things in quests, PVP and instances BC just added more of the same thing except it looks a little different and there were some critical hardware support Blizzard finally got around to update.

I was very disapointed with WoW BC and I guess that's why I've stopped playing..... And I guess I wont be buying another update.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
As long as Blizzard doesn't pull an Apple and say "we had to take some key players off the Starcraft 2 team and put them on the WoW team..."

I played WoW from the beginning until right before the first expansion and I'm so glad I stopped. Its the same old boring quests over and over. It started off as such a great game and now its gotten pretty lame. Bring on Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3!

And maybe make another Warcraft title besides WoW, Warcraft 4 anyone??

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
All I can say is what others have said. They need to add some content to both the Original and the BC to also offer new challenges to the veteran players and more for the new players to entice them to buy not only BC but the new one. I bought BC and still have not found much use for it yet! "You Listening Blizzard!"?

Bill.....:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.