Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Somian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
News (in German):

Press release (English)

The EU is mandating consumer changeable batteries in 2027, banning glued batteries and other shenanigans.

I don’t think Apple is going to make special MacBook Airs and iPhones for Europe so in 2027 they will probably have changeable batteries again globally!

Last edited:

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
If I'm interpreting this right (which is a bit hard due to the usual vagueness of these laws) it would have more impact on the type of screws Apple uses than anything. With regular screw types you wouldn't need any special tooling and "anyone" could open and replace batteries.

Apple batteries usually have pull tabs that releases the glued battery just by using your hands. So that wouldn't be a problem.

There are probably some loop holes that will be explored as per usual.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
News (in German):

Press release (English)

The EU is mandating consumer changeable batteries in 2027, banning glued batteries and other shenanigans.

I don’t think Apple is going to make special MacBook Airs and iPhones for Europe so in 2027 they will probably have changeable batteries again globally!
Based on what you wrote do you expect battery replacements similar to those of the original PowerPC iBooks and 1st Macbook Pros?

Ov6b6WHurmmNqL2m.medium

C4RnZqHVqTkn6ffp.huge

Doing this would lengthen the replacement cycle of laptops from 4-6 years to 10 years or more.

Smartphones would be lengthened from 3-4 years to 8 years or more.

Same with tablets.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I miss easily swappable batteries. A swelling battery took my late 2013 MBP out, but I replaced it with a questionable e-bay battery purchase. Getting the original battery detached from the top case was difficult - the adhesive really sucks. I very much welcome non-glued batteries that can be easily replaced by removing commodity screws.

Somian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Based on what you wrote do you expect battery replacements similar to those of the original PowerPC iBooks and 1st Macbook Pros?

Ov6b6WHurmmNqL2m.medium

C4RnZqHVqTkn6ffp.huge

Doing this would lengthen the replacement cycle of laptops from 4-6 years to 10 years or more.

Same with tablets.
No, I think it’s sufficient to allow users to unscrew it and release the battery without having to use some heat thing and then re-glue it.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
If I'm interpreting this right (which is a bit hard due to the usual vagueness of these laws) it would have more impact on the type of screws Apple uses than anything. With regular screw types you wouldn't need any special tooling and "anyone" could open and replace batteries.

Apple batteries usually have pull tabs that releases the glued battery just by using your hands. So that wouldn't be a problem.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out as well as what devices are included in the rule. MacBooks could easily accommodate changeable batteries; of course the battery could be designed to include various proprietary chips making replacement outside of warranty expensive.

Tablets and phones will be harder to make them “easily removable” without a change in the design philosophy.

Cheap electronics will be the hardest, from a cost standpoint, as many currently are simply throw away. No more Tiles with a single use battery, for example.

Then there is the whole issue of replacement battery availability, price and how long replacements are offered for sale.

Reactions: Mistercharlie

DougiePhresh

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011

Ov6b6WHurmmNqL2m.medium

C4RnZqHVqTkn6ffp.huge

Same with tablets.
You can get the battery replaced in your MacBook or iPhone now. How would simply making it easier extend the replacement cycle?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Would be a great chance for Apple to offer a Mil-Spec Ruggedized variant of each computer and iPhone at a premium price.

What is an extra 30-60% premium for each computer in size and price, when you are helping the environment.

Then they can turn a blind-eye to grey market imports of standard products in the EU.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
You can get the battery replaced in your MacBook or iPhone now. How would simply making it easier extend the replacement cycle?
It involves a 3rd party like an Apple Service Center.

We want how it was done with the 2010 MBP 13" 45nm. Whole bottom plate can be removed with screws then the battery can be pulled out and replaced by friction.

Change the battery after 3-5 years then replace the computer with a 2020 MBA 13" 5nm.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Because short battery life is a major factor in people's decisions to buy a new device.

If you could replace the battery on your own — at home, quickly — many would hold off replacing their devices. Just order a replacement battery and install it yourself. Bam! Your device is now good for a couple more years.

in contrast, there is a big hassle factor in finding someone to replace the battery and issues if you mail it into Apple — keep in mind that millions do not have an Apple Store near them. Plus, who would want to drive 100 miles just for a more expensive Apple battery replacement? In addition, labor costs are part of their price. User-installable batteries would be cheaper — again, making that less of a factor in replacing a device.

What's more, with user-replaceable batteries, there'd be no labor cost! There'd also be no downtime. If you have to mail the device in — there are an host of downsides and concerns, insuring the device, worrying about damage during shipping, turnaround time, being without the device, etc.

We recently bought an iPad 9 as our iPad Air 2's battery life had shortened greatly, especially with iOS 15. If we could have simply bought a quick drop in replacement, we would have done so.

Likewise, our 2015 13” MBA has much shorter battery life now and we have to keep plugging it in. We'll likely buy a new 13” or 15” MBA. If the battery were easily replaceable by us, we'd do it and hold off upgrading for a while.

In both cases, user-replaceable battery would extend the product's lives…

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014

The last thing I want is an old fashioned changeable battery pack. Originally I was against built-in batteries, but with advances in technology, and the resulting reduction in weight, now a fan. Not a fan of governments micro-managing product design though.

In this case, it does sound like regular screws (Torx) and pull tabs would meet the requirements on a mac. Phones are going to be harder because of how the cases are put together these days.

But if anyone uses a non-OEM battery, and it fries the device or burns down your house, no sympathy here.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Because short battery life is a major factor in people's decisions to buy a new device.

If you could replace the battery on your own — at home, quickly — many would hold off replacing their devices. Just order a replacement battery and install it yourself. Bam! Your device is now good for a couple more years.

in contrast, there is a big hassle factor in finding someone to replace the battery and issues if you mail it into Apple — keep in mind that millions do not have an Apple Store near them. Plus, who would want to drive 100 miles just for a more expensive Apple battery replacement? In addition, labor costs are part of their price. User-installable batteries would be cheaper — again, making that less of a factor in replacing a device.

What's more, with user-replaceable batteries, there'd be no labor cost! There'd also be no downtime. If you have to mail the device in — there are an host of downsides and concerns, insuring the device, worrying about damage during shipping, turnaround time, being without the device, etc.

We recently bought an iPad 9 as our iPad Air 2's battery life had shortened greatly, especially with iOS 15. If we could have simply bought a quick drop in replacement, we would have done so.

Likewise, our 2015 13” MBA has much shorter battery life now and we have to keep plugging it in. We'll likely buy a new 13” or 15” MBA. If the battery were easily replaceable by us, we'd do it and hold off upgrading for a while.

In both cases, user-replaceable battery would extend the product's lives…

This is why I prefer a Pro Max. It has the largest battery. Instead of charging daily I charge every other day or longer.

Also a problem with having someone else replace the battery is the down time. You will be without your iPhone for more than an hour, day or even a week.

The problem with this on the manufacture's side is that it will contribute to longer replacement cycles.

Since the 90s mobile phone replacement cycle was typically 2 years long. I think about a decade ago replacement extended to 3 years or longer.

This was 1 reason why iPhone industrial design changes now occur every 3 years rather every 2.

If you can easily plunk in a battery like how easy it is for AA or AAA then you'll have people keeping their devices until the final Security Update that spans 8 years.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'm in favor. Let's remember this applies to all kinds of devices, and more and more are coming out that have embedded rechargable batteries. Every one of those is a ticking clock toward throwing out the whole device once the battery dies.

With something like an iPhone, the battery has a much higher likelihood of being replaced -- if not by the original owner than by someone downstream refurbishing the device for a secondary market. And there are plenty of resources official and unofficial for sourcing iPhone batteries and replacing them. It's a high enough priced and widely in demand item that there's a stronger financial incentive to keep it going.

But for cheaper stuff like rechargable lights and various other inexpensive gadgets, though, there's a strong probability that they'll just get tossed once the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore.

Reactions: ADHWGT and Lyrics23

mcled53

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2022
West of the Cascades
News (in German):

Press release (English)

Thank God.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.