Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaadktda

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
As usual there are a few turkeys voting for Christmas. Apple should ramp up the strategy of making phones with tweaks for different markets. The chinese market iPhone gets 2 sim slots, the EU market iPhone gets 1 sim slot and the US iPhone gets a tiny plastic brick. So it would be nothing new.

Last edited by a moderator:

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The only thing that makes me question that conclusion is that you'd think this would be front-page news if it were true.
The European Council still has to approve the regulation (a formality), and it has to be published in the Official Journal to become effective. Then there’s 3.5 years before it becomes compulsory. It’ll be on the front page soon enough. We’re just ahead of the curve for once here in the forum. ;)

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
Lol who wants to keep a phone for 8 years? It’s gonna be so scratchy you can’t resemble it, and the camera is gonna be trash compared to new phones.
If you're happy with the current picture quality, the fact that the new one is better isn't really a concern. Personally I'd love to get to the point where a phone lasts as long as something like a microwave or TV.

Reactions: klasma and erikkfi

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
If you're happy with the current picture quality, the fact that the new one is better isn't really a concern. Personally I'd love to get to the point where a phone lasts as long as something like a microwave or TV.
I love the idea of manufacturers being forced to allow us to swap batteries easily. And a company like Apple will find a way to do it without compromising appearance or waterproofing. They just haven't had to do so up until this point.

• Haha
Reactions: strongy

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Based on what you wrote do you expect battery replacements similar to those of the original PowerPC iBooks and 1st Macbook Pros?

Ov6b6WHurmmNqL2m.medium

C4RnZqHVqTkn6ffp.huge

Doing this would lengthen the replacement cycle of laptops from 4-6 years to 10 years or more.

Smartphones would be lengthened from 3-4 years to 8 years or more.

Same with tablets.
Show me an iPhone that got 10 years of security updates. My one MacBook Pro is 7 years old already.

Reactions: SB1500

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
That was a special thing. It went for years and years without any security updates at all. You really think the iPhone 5s has the same security updates and a current iPhone? No.
iPhone 6 announced on September 9, 2014 receive its final Security Update by January 23, 2023 with iOS 12.5.7 (other than the 32GB model)

Doing the math that's 100 months or over 8 years.

mushy peas

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
All this is going to do is make batteries smaller and devices larger, and few people will bother buying multiple batteries just like they did in ages past.

The EU overreach is getting ridiculous. If people want replaceable batteries they can buy devices with replaceable batteries and let the market decide. But they don’t, so we’ve got an unwieldy barely democratic completely opaque process of back seat designing.

I for one hope Apple give EU customers the crappy version and leave the rest of us alone.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
2027, you say? Then by 2030 the EU is all going to be scratching their head wondering why e-waste has spiked.

Right goals, wrong approach. If you want to reduce e-waste, increase the cost of creating e-waste. This is just increasing the cost of creating products by keeping e-waste free.
The private sector is perfectly free to implement their own strategy for reducing e-waste and having sustainable products that align with the larger requirement of sustainable products. Ask yourself why the industry is not the driver of these necessary changes and why EU(governments) need to bother.

Reactions: Pezimak

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
The private sector is perfectly free to implement their own strategy for reducing e-waste and having sustainable products that align with the larger requirement of sustainable products.
No they aren't. Government regulation mandating a specific engineering decision is the opposite of "perfectly free".

The EU just said, "You know how half of humanity are idiots and half of the rest couldn't survive a day without TikTok? Now you need to let them open up your carefully engineered product designed to all the exacting customer requirements you had to meet to be competitive, let them **** with it, and hope they put it back together ok. Then you need to take the blame when they get it wrong."

I'm telling you, 2028 will be the year of YouTube videos about how the latest phones, tablets, laptops, headphones, and watches suck. Companies will abide by the law, but they are absolutely not free to implement their own e-waste reduction strategies, and the planet will suffer for it.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Based on what you wrote do you expect battery replacements similar to those of the original PowerPC iBooks and 1st Macbook Pros?

Ov6b6WHurmmNqL2m.medium

C4RnZqHVqTkn6ffp.huge

Doing this would lengthen the replacement cycle of laptops from 4-6 years to 10 years or more.

Smartphones would be lengthened from 3-4 years to 8 years or more.

Same with tablets.
The problem with swapping batteries is they have always been a common point of failure. That was the reason for moving away from them. They made lots of money on replacing them, but they could also cause damage to other components when the connectors short out. Phones before iPhone had replaceable batteries, but lasted 2-3 years. iPhone doubled that.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
That's 3 iPhones already... I can do this all day...
You’re missing the point. Those are very infrequent and seemingly random security updates. Those old models don’t get regular security updates anymore, and there is no basis for assuming they otherwise don’t have any security issues. There’s just not much work put into them anymore.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The problem with swapping batteries is they have always been a common point of failure. That was the reason for moving away from them. They made lots of money on replacing them, but they could also cause damage to other components when the connectors short out. Phones before iPhone had replaceable batteries, but lasted 2-3 years. iPhone doubled that.
My 14 year old netbook, my 18 year old digital cameta, my 22 year old Archos Jukebox, my 23 year old Palm Pilot, my 25 year old MiniDisc player, my 33 year old GameBoy, and various other decade-old devices with replaceable batteries still work fine. Not sure what you’re talking about.

Last edited:

MedusasPath

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
Yes, great news! I've just gone through the hassle of replacing a battery on a 2015 MBP... there is a special place for whoever decided that gluing battery to a case was a good idea. Thank god EU is pushing for some sanity in this consumer world, which will benefit us, the consumers.
No clue why some here are so pissy about it.

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Consumer behavior dislike opening computer cases or even car hoods.

That's why external SSDs and other external devices preferred.

Oil changes for cars, that consumers can do on their own when trained, is often done by 3rd parties for a fee.
Oil changes are a huge pain, especially without a lift. I'd rather pay someone else to get underneath the car and deal with that.

Battery swaps back in the 2007-2010 MacBook era (and disk swaps, and memory swaps) were quite easy. I did those all the time.

Reactions: Longplays

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
You’re missing the point. Those are very infrequent and seemingly random security updates. Those old models don’t get regular security updates anymore, and there is no basis for assuming they otherwise don’t have any security issues. There’s just not much work put into them anymore.
The point being is that iPhones address concerns that are being asked. They receive longer Security Updates.

For those who infrequently replace their iPhone that's their choice as iOS 16/17 to me is just more feature bloat.

iPhone 6s announced on September 9, 2015 that has yet to receive its final Security Update as of today. It is current with iOS 15.7.6 that was released less than a month ago.

Doing the math that's more than 92 months & counting. This is approaching 8 years.

That's 4 iPhones already... Pls reply if you want more 5 iPhones.

Last edited:

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
No they aren't. Government regulation mandating a specific engineering decision is the opposite of "perfectly free".

The EU just said, "You know how half of humanity are idiots and half of the rest couldn't survive a day without TikTok? Now you need to let them open up your carefully engineered product designed to all the exacting customer requirements you had to meet to be competitive, let them **** with it, and hope they put it back together ok. Then you need to take the blame when they get it wrong."

I'm telling you, 2028 will be the year of YouTube videos about how the latest phones, tablets, laptops, headphones, and watches suck. Companies will abide by the law, but they are absolutely not free to implement their own e-waste reduction strategies, and the planet will suffer for it.
EU do this because the companies does not do this themself. If the companies had a clear strategy and goals to reduce e-waste significantly, EU would not regulate. It is the companies own faults that EU need to regulate. The resistance to right to repair is a prime example of companies attitude that is increasing waste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.