Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I am using a USB stick for MacOS. I'm going to use the dock to power up the hard drive and make the software install on it while it is attached to my Mac before putting it in the PC. Could you clarify?

Oh, okay. I thought you were installing direct from a disc image on the Mac or something.

Still, I'm not sure why you don't just plug the stick into the PC and install it there. Disconnect your Windows discs first, if you're concerned about accidentally installing on the wrong drive.

To get it working, you're going to have to have both the USB stick and the Mac HD in the PC at some point.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
For you PC builders, don't forget Tom's Hardware. They have a ton of stuff for people building their own rigs. For example, here's a recent article on best video cards for the money, October 2013. Link. They will periodically put up gaming rig builds, best CPUs, SSDs, fans, etc. So go there before you decide on a final build.

I have a question. How come you folks aren't using Bootcamp and a Win 7, or even Win 8, install for your PC games? We've used Bootcamp in the past, and it was my experience that Mac hardware ran Windows better than most PCs ran it.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I have a question. How come you folks aren't using Bootcamp and a Win 7, or even Win 8, install for your PC games? We've used Bootcamp in the past, and it was my experience that Mac hardware ran Windows better than most PCs ran it.

PCs are cheaper and can be upgraded. Will outperform any Mac in games. Plus they're fun to build.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For you PC builders, don't forget Tom's Hardware. They have a ton of stuff for people building their own rigs. For example, here's a recent article on best video cards for the money, October 2013. Link. They will periodically put up gaming rig builds, best CPUs, SSDs, fans, etc. So go there before you decide on a final build.

When Vista was first introduced, Microsoft introduced it on a Mac for stability reasons I think. :)

As far as your question, those Mac users who typically don't mess with Bootcamp because they are comfortable with the Mac environment and don't want to mess with Windows. Those who do mess with it (bootcamp), want to play those games not available in Mac, and also get to enjoy improved performance, despite the perceived and actual Windows headaches. I can attest to Windows headaches, in every version of Windows from W95-to W7. Several months ago, on my MBP, Windows 7 decided it was no longer going to accept updates. I spent 1 hr on the phone with Microsoft support who could not figure it out. The typical answer is "clean install" and was the answer for my case. Unfortunately my back up plan (Winclone) failed completly. This has never happened to me using MacOSX, never (knock on wood). ;)

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Question- If I have my Mac backed up on Time Machine, can this be used to duplicate it on a Hackintosh? Thanks!

I haven't tried it, but once you have the Hackintosh up and running, you *should* be able to do a transfer with Migration Assistant from the Time Machine backup.

This could totally screw things up though... have to see. Migration Assistant from Hackintosh to a real Mac can cause tons of problems though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I haven't tried it, but once you have the Hackintosh up and running, you *should* be able to do a transfer with Migration Assistant from the Time Machine backup.

This could totally screw things up though... have to see. Migration Assistant from Hackintosh to a real Mac can cause tons of problems though.

Maybe I won't... :)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I assume that if you take a Time Machine hardrive and use it on another computer, that it can be returned to the original computer and it will pick back up where it left off? Thanks for the info and your patience. :)

Sure, that would work. Even if the new Hackintosh somehow instantly writes a backup to Time Machine, you'd still have all the previous backups available in separate folders.

After copying your old computer to the new Hack, you should get another HD specifically for Hack Time Machine, of course. Worth noting that a couple of Hack-specific things aren't picked up by Time Machine, so you have to back those up manually as one-offs (chameleon.plist and, ummm, something else I can't remember)

I used the Time Machine from my old G5 to copy 15 years' worth of Macs onto my Hack, and it worked perfectly, I didn't lose a single file.

Renzatic

Suspended
I can attest to Windows headaches, in every version of Windows from W95-to W7. Several months ago, on my MBP, Windows 7 decided it was no longer going to accept updates. I spent 1 hr on the phone with Microsoft support who could not figure it out. The typical answer is "clean install" and was the answer for my case. Unfortunately my back up plan (Winclone) failed completly. This has never happened to me using MacOSX, never (knock on wood). ;)

Ha! Let me guess what it was doing. You'd get your list of updates, hit the install button, and watch it set at 0% for awhile as it tells you it's preparing to download/install, but does nothing.

That is THE most annoying bug with Windows, and for some reason MS has yet to fix it even though it's been present since maybe as far back as Vista. I've spent hours reading up on how to fix it, and even more hours deep down in the guts of Windows trying to get it to work. It's annoying as hell.

...but the real kick in the nuts is that, 99 times out a 100, it's actually downloading and installing those updates, but it's not reporting its progress through the UI. From what I can figure, the automatic updater has grabbed onto those updates, and is doing its own thing in the background. The only way you can figure out if it's doing that is by looking at the list of updates, letting it sit there at 0% for an hour or so, rebooting your computer, seeing if it gives you any "updating Windows" messages as it boots down, then checking the list again after to see if the update list is any smaller than it was before.

From my experiences, it only happens on a freshly installed copy of Windows, when you have a crapton of patches to get. The best thing to do is set it to grab important updates automatically, then let the computer work on itself for an hour or so before you start messing with it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ha! Let me guess what it was doing. You'd get your list of updates, hit the install button, and watch it set at 0% for awhile as it tells you it's preparing to download/install, but does nothing.

That is THE most annoying bug with Windows, and for some reason MS has yet to fix it even though it's been present since maybe as far back as Vista. I've spent hours reading up on how to fix it, and even more hours deep down in the guts of Windows trying to get it to work. It's annoying as hell.

...but the real kick in the nuts is that, 99 times out a 100, it's actually downloading and installing those updates, but it's not reporting its progress through the UI. From what I can figure, the automatic updater has grabbed onto those updates, and is doing its own thing in the background. The only way you can figure out if it's doing that is by looking at the list of updates, letting it sit there at 0% for an hour or so, rebooting your computer, seeing if it gives you any "updating Windows" messages as it boots down, then checking the list again after to see if the update list is any smaller than it was before.

From my experiences, it only happens on a freshly installed copy of Windows, when you have a crapton of patches to get. The best thing to do is set it to grab important updates automatically, then let the computer work on itself for an hour or so before you start messing with it.

As I remember it, Windows would announce there were updates, then it would run through the updates, and as I recall, even show them installing or at least running by them and I assumed they were installed. But on the next shutdown, the same thing would happen repeatedly and no updates were installed. I tried to investigate the generalized ambiguous error codes, but that was a waste of time and even the MS guy did not make use of them in this trouble shooting.

calearne

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
United States
I really want to play beamNG, spintires, nextcargame, offroaddrive.

But to do that I would have to sell my iMac and secondary monitor and order a prebuilt gaming machine from cyberpower or ibuypower.

I would also buy a 21:9 LG monitor.

As much as I hate microsoft and xbox I think I'm going to do this.

Also should I use windows 7 or 8.1?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I really want to play beamNG, spintires, nextcargame, offroaddrive.

But to do that I would have to sell my iMac and secondary monitor and order a prebuilt gaming machine from cyberpower or ibuypower.

I would also buy a 21:9 LG monitor.

As much as I hate microsoft and xbox I think I'm going to do this.

Also should I use windows 7 or 8.1?

Don't overlook Digital Storm. For OSs, it's whatever. I don't like 8, don't like Live Tiles, don't use 8 (use 7), but my impression is that live tiles can be turned off. But isn't that sad, that Windows primary new gee-whiz feature is not really liked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.