Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Docle888

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
So my phone is starting to die. Here are my top 3 choices, iPhone 7 plus, Google Pixel and Galaxy S7 Edge. What do you guys think?

Reactions: Nancy bout

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
From my experience with the iPhone 7 Plus and S7 Edge, you can't go wrong with either. They both are fast, reliable, and popular. But have a differ set of pro and cons.

S7 edge pros ...
Better display (Much better)
Much better design and smaller overall. I can use the 5.5 screen with one hand 99% of the time.
Much less restrictive OS
Fast charging and Fast Wireless charging
Expandable storage
Always On Display
Samsung Pay
Compatible with more devices (like smart watches, TVs, and etc)
Better Camera .. although that's still debatable.
Cheaper, there are so many great deals for this phone.

iPhone 7 Plus pros ...
Best stand-by battery life
iCloud features (like handoff and talking calls)... Which are great if you have a Mac and/or iPad.
iMessages
Apple Pay
No carrier bloat
Unified updates (across all iOS devices)
Better audio sound (speaker and headphones)
Apple Care Service, especially if you are near an Apple Store.

I never got my hands on a Pixel to speak on it.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I would say the Pixel XL hands down, and wouldn't even think of the S7 Edge, and why bother with the iPhone and iOS ( yuck )

- Pixel XL = Runs the best smartphone OS of any smartphone on the market. Stock Android is just the best of the best. Plus the phone is very high end build, has an excellent #1 camera, and amazing display, and very good battery life. It's a no brainer this is the phone to get.

- S7 Edge = Touchwiz. Discussion over. Updates suck with Samsung. And the OS will lag over time.

- iPhone 7 Plus = If you want something that looks three years dated, and runs an OS that looks like it's from 2007, get this phone. It's a great retro phone

zukeveui

Suspended
Dec 7, 2016
I just wish the iPhone 8 would come out... Apple really dropped the ball on the 7 IMO.
I like mine, but you have to set your requirements and decide. If you have any YES/NO questions then we can answer, but things like camera and display are more opinion then a fact in this case. Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

Reactions: Nancy bout

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I just wish the iPhone 8 would come out... Apple really dropped the ball on the 7 IMO.

New rumors this week saying there will be a 7S line next year, not a fully new iPhone 8.

7S and 7S Plus will share same design as the current iPhone 7 line, but with the best internal hardware ever, and revolutionary better camera.

The all new iPhone will be a 2018 as Apple needs more time to perfect the design and parts.

Reactions: Docle888

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

I had much the same sentiment when the 7 was announced. Without belaboring the point and hijacking your thread, I quickly state I'm a longtime Apple fan whose not very happy with the direction Apple seems to be headed or has taken with many of their products and services. I had intended to start migrating away from Apple hardware to Android/Google, starting with the Pixel XL. The Pixel XL is a terrific piece of hardware, best Android phone I've owned or used. Comparing it to my Nexus 6P, it exceeded that device in nearly every capacity (save for external speaker audio)--better camera, display, ergonomics, battery life, speed.

I ultimately decided not to keep if for reason predominantly related to the Android OS and Android Wear, things that I've personally had issues with for a while now and sadly could not be overcome by the exceptional Pixel XL hardware.

I've never owned the Galaxy S7 so I won't presume to offer a detail opinion, just that I personally don't like their software, nor the curved display.

Since returning my Pixel XL, my son needed a smartphone so I handed down my 6s+ and was lucky enough to grab a Jet Black 7+. Yes, the design isn't that different but I'll be honest, the Jet Black finish is so damn beautiful--I'm a sucker for a black, monolithic slab and the 7+ finally hits my sweet spot with this design. It's also blazingly fast and from my brief experience so far, the dual lens camera lives up to the hype.

All things being equal between the iPhone and Pixel, they're both supremely capable and very comparable in performance. My advice, baring the need for very specific feature only found on one of the phones (i.e. waterproofing, headphone jack), is pick the phone by picking the OS you prefer. It's what I constantly find myself doing.

Docle888

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
I had much the same sentiment when the 7 was announced. Without belaboring the point and hijacking your thread, I quickly state I'm a longtime Apple fan whose not very happy with the direction Apple seems to be headed or has taken with many of their products and services. I had intended to start migrating away from Apple hardware to Android/Google, starting with the Pixel XL. The Pixel XL is a terrific piece of hardware, best Android phone I've owned or used. Comparing it to my Nexus 6P, it exceeded that device in nearly every capacity (save for external speaker audio)--better camera, display, ergonomics, battery life, speed.

I ultimately decided not to keep if for reason predominantly related to the Android OS and Android Wear, things that I've personally had issues with for a while now and sadly could not be overcome by the exceptional Pixel XL hardware.

I've never owned the Galaxy S7 so I won't presume to offer a detail opinion, just that I personally don't like their software, nor the curved display.

Since returning my Pixel XL, my son needed a smartphone so I handed down my 6s+ and was lucky enough to grab a Jet Black 7+. Yes, the design isn't that different but I'll be honest, the Jet Black finish is so damn beautiful--I'm a sucker for a black, monolithic slab and the 7+ finally hits my sweet spot with this design. It's also blazingly fast and from my brief experience so far, the dual lens camera lives up to the hype.

All things being equal between the iPhone and Pixel, they're both supremely capable and very comparable in performance. My advice, baring the need for very specific feature only found on one of the phones (i.e. waterproofing, headphone jack), is pick the phone by picking the OS you prefer. It's what I constantly find myself doing.
Wow, thanks for the in depth analysis! I used to have a Galaxy S6 and absolutely hated the software, but the pixel seems pretty cool. I really don't wanna spend $850 on the iPhone 7 Plus, but I think it's kind of worth it. Everybody in my family has an iPhone, and felt really lost with the S6. No iMessage, no IOS updates etc.

zukeveui

Suspended
Dec 7, 2016
Wow, thanks for the in depth analysis! I used to have a Galaxy S6 and absolutely hated the software, but the pixel seems pretty cool. I really don't wanna spend $850 on the iPhone 7 Plus, but I think it's kind of worth it. Everybody in my family has an iPhone, and felt really lost with the S6. No iMessage, no IOS updates etc.
If you are skint then that leaves you with S7. It is the cheapest of the three.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
lots of people own

Care to elaborate? Some need to fit in? Some need to be part of the crowd or the 'in crowd'? Buying the same phone "a lot of people have" is just being a follower and trying to fit in.

On my team of 14 people, all but 2 have Android devices.
[doublepost=1481158840][/doublepost]
If you are skint then that leaves you with S7. It is the cheapest of the three.

MSRP for the S7 Edge 32GB (on Samsung's site) is $795, Pixel XL is $770 for 32 GB. Pixel is cheaper...

zukeveui

Suspended
Dec 7, 2016
Care to elaborate? Some need to fit in? Some need to be part of the crowd or the 'in crowd'? Buying the same phone "a lot of people have" is just being a follower and trying to fit in.

On my team of 14 people, all but 2 have Android devices.
[doublepost=1481158840][/doublepost]

MSRP for the S7 Edge 32GB (on Samsung's site) is $795, Pixel XL is $770 for 32 GB. Pixel is cheaper...
Bloody hell all of them cost the same basically.

Reactions: timeconsumer

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

this is exactly what "Mr. Mobile" (aka Michael Fisher) said in his latest video. These 2 are so dang close, just go with the OS of choice.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Well that automatically rules the Pixel out. Not sure why that even matters, though. To be honest, I'd rather have something fewer people own so you stand out more.

Yeah, that's why I got the Xperia XZ.
The benefits of getting a popular handset are better support, quicker software fixes, more accessories like cases and screen protectors etc.

zukeveui

Suspended
Dec 7, 2016
Well that automatically rules the Pixel out. Not sure why that even matters, though. To be honest, I'd rather have something fewer people own so you stand out more.
If you would by a phone to stand out that would be sad.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
All these phones (pixel, s7 edge, ip7+) are popular phones. The pixel is just newer...that's all.

Given that I prefer 4.7" or smaller and I'm eligible for a new phone come Sept 2017 and only the biggest 5.5" iPhone (or larger) will be amoled...it's looking at least 50% probability that my next phone will be either a s8 or the pixel.

I want the amoled display. But I'm not crazy about mini-USB or USB-c though...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.