Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I buy anything that i need or want, not because i want to fit in or stand out. Please just stop with this nonsense.
Maybe if you bothered to process what you read, you'd know I never said I buy phones to stand out. I said I would rather have a phone most people don't have to stand out.

Try harder next time.

zukeveui

Suspended
Dec 7, 2016
Maybe if you bothered to process what you read, you'd know I never said I buy phones to stand out. I said I would rather have a phone most people don't have to stand out.

Try harder next time.

I quote:

I'd rather have something fewer people own so you stand out more.

But you suggested that to him.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I quote:

But you suggested that to him.
If you tell me you would rather be shot in the head than burned alive, are you saying/implying/suggesting you want me to shoot you in the head?

I said I rather one way, not that I base my buying decisions on that.

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
So my phone is starting to die. Here are my top 3 choices, iPhone 7 plus, Google Pixel and Galaxy S7 Edge. What do you guys think?

Hands down the iPhone 7 Plus. The 7+ might not have the bells and whistles Samsung offers: dual screens, QHD AMOLED best in class display, Samsung Pay, SD Slot in a water resistant body, glass body design, fast wireless charging, their software features, etc.

The iPhone succeeds in all the important categories: app selection, app support, timely updates, reliable performance, amazing standby battery life, clean software, great multi-tasking, iMessaging, great notification set up, widget support, 3D Touch shortcuts, dual speakers, build quality, and product legacy support.

The Pixel is a nice "try" from Google. Their product support is not quite up to Apple's standards yet because they don't have carrier availability (outside of Verizon here in the US), no flexible payment plans outside their own online offerings, high pricing compared to other Android competitors, and the only offering they have that is much better than any of the other choices is the camera. You can argue USB Type C is better, but it doesn't bother me about not having it.

Reactions: 5105973

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
- iPhone 7 Plus = If you want something that looks three years dated, and runs an OS that looks like it's from 2007, get this phone. It's a great retro phone

Yeah, round icons vs square icons... so radically different and innovative!

And the physical design... you're really drinking the koolaid if you think one of these phones looks "outdated", and the other one doesn't.

1C579657-AF50-4E21-95CC-413A161A4FA9-1114-00000217AE39E896_tmp.jpg

Photo via phonearena

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Yeah, round icons vs square icons... so radically different and innovative!

And the physical design... you're really drinking the koolaid if you think one of these phones looks "outdated", and the other one doesn't.

View attachment 677232
Photo via phonearena
To be fair, the icons are just from one launcher. You can download different launchers and even theme on Android very easily.

Can't argue about hardware design, though. The iPhone 7 may have launched with a two year old design, but at least the black models aren't ugly like the Pixel is.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
To be fair, the icons are just from one launcher. You can download different launchers and even theme on Android very easily.

Yes, I'm aware of that, having owned the Nexus 4, 5, and 7. I'm sorry but there's nothing fascinating about "themes", "launchers", and icon packs. I feel the same way about it that I do with iMessage "sticker packs". I guess they appeal to kids.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Yes, I'm aware of that, having owned the Nexus 4, 5, and 7. I'm sorry but there's nothing fascinating about "themes", "launchers", and icon packs. I feel the same way about it that I do with iMessage "sticker packs". I guess they appeal to kids.
I usually agree with everything you say, but implying something you don't care about is for children is silly. You may not care about theming - I don't either - but there are plenty of adults who do.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

info

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Bay Area
I just received a Moto G4 Plus to hold me out for a year and have been surprised at how good it is for such an incredibly low price ($229 on Black Friday from Amazon). It's unlocked, will work on "any carrier," stock Android 6 (with a promise of 7 shortly), 5.5 inches, 1920x1080p screen, and there is no lag at all. It has 4Gb of main memory and 64 Gb of secondary. I maxed it out with a 128 Gb Samsung Evo+ SD card for a total of 192 Gb. A nice case rounded it out so that I'm very happy with it while I wait for the new arrivals next year. Check out the reviews.

Good luck!

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Back to the S7 Edge lags or is buttery smooth.

Let me tell you, Samsung's UI sucks and totally blows. Yes Samsung makes the best hardware, beautiful displays, amazing cameras, high end build quality, with great waterproofing, etc... They truly do build the best smartphones lately.

But...Touchwiz is vomit inducing POS UI over stock Android., With stock vanilla Android being so great now, there's no more need for Touchwiz or Sense today, look at the Pixel running 7.1.1 it's the best, now imagine a Galaxy S7 Edge running stock 7.1.1 Android, it would be AMAZING.

My coworkers all got new work phones S7 Edge's, I helped set them all up, and I was shocked at the phones. Yeah the display was jaw dropping gorgeous, and the compact size of the phone for having a 5.5" screen was fantastic, but holy crap Touchwiz just sucks so bad. It does lag, and on every S7 Edge I set up, which was 8 different phones, they all had slight minor micro stutter, or little bit of a 1/4 second hiccup here or there. Whereas my year old Nexus 6P is buttery smooth, warp speed fast, never once lags never ever. The S7 Edge's Touchwiz felt heavy and bloated on the phone, and was a major letdown.

It's almost 2017, I don't see the need for UI's over vanilla Android anymore, every phone should just run stock Android moving forward. Goggle has given stock Android most the good features found on Sense and Touchwiz, but stock Android is just so much smoother, so lag free, so much cleaner, so little bloat, etc... I think it's time for manufactures to wake up, and use the beautiful OS Google has given them, and stop ***** it up, just use it as it's meant to be, stock.

And the iPhone 7 Plus, of course that simple phone will run smooth with no lag, it's practically just a dumbphone with a large screen. It's not a handheld mini desktop computer, shrunk down to fit in your hand, that Android is.

Last edited:
Reactions: timeconsumer

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I did not. I have no need for a new phone at the moment, but I'm tired of dropping $600+ on phones and OnePlus offers the best Android experience for the best price. I'm a Nexus guy, but the Pixel is a little too steep for me if I'm going to settle for Android.

I hear ya. I'm a stock Android or iOS guy. I'm really torn on the OP3T, Pixel XL, or 7 Plus. Such great phones, really. But some of these mid range phones are pretty much just as good at roughly half the cost.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I do agree, the OnePlus 3T is hard to count out. For only around $400, you get top of the line flagship hardware, and an OS that is very Nexus / Pixel like. Sure the screen and camera aren't the best, but the phone is HALF the price of the major competition. But the hardware is EXACTLY what the Pixel XL has in it, but costs twice as much.

I'm a big Nexus guy, and there's not a chance in hell I'd shell out $800 for the Pixel XL, just to replace my perfect Nexus 6P. I'd rather spend $800 on the new nVidia GTX 1080 Ti VideoCard coming out soon, to run my games smoother at 4k.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I hear ya. I'm a stock Android or iOS guy. I'm really torn on the OP3T, Pixel XL, or 7 Plus. Such great phones, really. But some of these mid range phones are pretty much just as good at roughly half the cost.
The Pixel launcher looks really nice, but I'm certainly more interested in the next generation. Google needs a succinct answer for iMessage, because my whole family is on iOS. I can't get them to change over if Google doesn't have as good of a solution.
[doublepost=1481396538][/doublepost]
I do agree, the OnePlus 3T is hard to count out. For only around $400, you get top of the line flagship hardware, and an OS that is very Nexus / Pixel like. Sure the screen and camera aren't the best, but the phone is HALF the price of the major competition.

I'm a big Nexus guy, and there's not a chance in hell I'd shell out $800 for the Pixel XL, just to replace my perfect Nexus 6P. I'd rather spend $800 on the new nVidia GTX 1080 Ti VideoCard coming out soon, to run my games smoother at 4k.
I'll admit I feel a bit alienated by the whole Pixel line. I just wish OnePlus was a little better at updates.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Nice thing about a OnePlus phone are the amazing ROM developers. I still have my old OnePlus One sitting in the house as a backup phone, and man oh man CM14.1 ROM makes this old OPO feel like a brand new phone again, so smooth, lag free, and is up to date running Android 7.1

The OnePlus phones are meant to be rooted and ROM'd, to bring out the greatness in them. Just like the Nexus phones were.

In my mind the OnePlus phones took over the old Nexus spot, an affordable phone, running stock Android, with near flagship hardware. F the Pixel phone, it's $800, not waterproof, no stereo speakers anymore, no wireless charging, is built by HTC, which recent stories coming out now, showing it's not aging well, with flecking off paint, and poor build quality.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
The Pixel launcher looks really nice, but I'm certainly more interested in the next generation. Google needs a succinct answer for iMessage, because my whole family is on iOS. I can't get them to change over if Google doesn't have as good of a solution.
[doublepost=1481396538][/doublepost]
I'll admit I feel a bit alienated by the whole Pixel line. I just wish OnePlus was a little better at updates.

I'm more of a Google guy but I've been on iOS for a year. Until now Google/Android didn't have something that I felt was on part with an iPhone. And some things are even cheaper than an iPhone and you get a great experience. But, it'll definitely be hard to get rid of iMessage just because most of my family is on iOS. I'm just torn on where I want to spend my money. I'm tired of switching back and forth.

OP, sorry for the hijack...

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm more of a Google guy but I've been on iOS for a year. Until now Google/Android didn't have something that I felt was on part with an iPhone. And some things are even cheaper than an iPhone and you get a great experience. But, it'll definitely be hard to get rid of iMessage just because most of my family is on iOS. I'm just torn on where I want to spend my money. I'm tired of switching back and forth.

OP, sorry for the hijack...
I don't feel like this is a highjack. These are really important things to consider when changing ecosystems. The lack of compatibility in the industry right now partly the thing setting us back from the next "big thing" IMHO

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
What's so special about iMessage ? I am being serious. Isn't it just a text app for the iPhone ?

Google Messenger is great, as is Textra

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I don't feel like this is a highjack. These are really important things to consider when changing ecosystems. The lack of compatibility in the industry right now partly the thing setting us back from the next "big thing" IMHO

True. Good point. We are discussing the different good options on Android and iOS. That's also the thing with me being Google oriented...I really don't have anything on iOS or from Apple other than my phone. So it isn't the end of the world for me to leave.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
What's so special about iMessage ? I am being serious. Isn't it just a text app for the iPhone ?

Google Messenger is great, as is Textra

The main thing is to be able to easily send videos and pictures at full resolution to people on iOS. Don't have to have my 60+ year old parent download a new app or anything. That's really it for me. It's just easy.

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
It's getting harder for each year to choose which phone to go for. Competition is more intense than ever and Apple don't really seem to know what to do about it. I mean removing the headphone jack and not replacing lighting with USB C means that you're basically out of luck if you want to use your new fancy lightning headphones with your laptop.

Today I'm not 100% sure which I'd go for if I had to upgrade. Maybe a cheaper phone if you're really in need of a new phone right now and see how the iPhone 7S turns out. Out of these these three I'd probably just get the 7+ anyway though. If I'm putting out $850 for a phone, it's definitely going to be an iPhone as they've been the most consistent phones I've used until this day.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I'm no iPhone fan, but I do admire how they hold their resale value a year + later. I have no idea why, I think it's an over hyped, over priced cellphone, but whatever.

Right now the old iPhone 6 Plus is selling used for around $500 to $600. Whereas last years highest end Android phone, the Galaxy Note 5 sells for around $300. That's a massive price difference just one year later. Where both phones had very similar retail prices of like $700 or so last year.

I will predict this, one year from now, the iPhone 7 Plus will resale in that $550 range, and Pixel XL in that $350 range. ( People paid $800+ brand new for the Pixel XL, and a year later will be lucky if it's worth half that price )

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.