Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The NES Classic has only been out a few months, the only reason to kill it so quickly is that it's been completely compromised by hackers. I bet heads have rolled in the R&D department that put this thing together without considering security. Has any other console been cracked so quickly?

Edit: didn't they also put friendly messages for hackers in the system files, thereby encouraging people to hook the thing up to a PC and tinker with it? Bizarre.

It being compromised would have had no impact on sales. And as you said - there are messages to hackers. Once the console is sold Nintendo have made the only money they'll see from it, therefore hacking would have no impact on its manufacturing ending.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
@JohnGrey I totally dig your idea for a NintendoRewind real-virtual-console. Nintendo could even release wireless versions of their legacy controllers (sold separately) to pair with the system(which would appease their desire to sell a lot of plastic). But this is Nintendo we're talking about, and that's probably too logical for them to consider :).

Regarding the controllers, I've said as much many times. They could make so much money on peripheral sales with such a console, as the cost of controllers in good condition is one of the more expensive aspects of retrogaming. Even for something as ubiquitous as the NES-004, it can cost $30 is good condition and $100 - 200 NIB. To have one that met the construction standards of the original, was properly weighted and was BT-enabled without the need for rubbish adapters like the 8bitdo controllers, I would definitely pay $50 - 60. I know that hardcore retro-platform gamers would do the same for an equivalent N64 controller; games like Banjo Kazooie require loads of precisions, especially with the camera system being as wonky as it was back then, and your options are paying through the nose to get a decent genuine controller without a dead analogue or dealing with one of the many, lesser-quality, remakes.

Nintendo will never consider it because, as I've said many times, they don't want to admit their only stock in trade is nostalgia. They do not innovate or evolve, and haven't done for twenty years at least, so they jealously guard their catalogue and dole out just enough to cover costs but never enough to deliver a definitive retro experience. I'm certain that they feel rather like an aging starlet that gets rather tired of signing photographs of herself aged twenty, but they ought to recognise their good fortune: they could be like SEGA and have most people not care about their past work at all. I bought a comparatively rare retail copy of Sonic the Hedgehog for $25 still in cellophane. Do you imagine that I could find an equivalent condition copy of Super Mario Bros 1 or 3 in the same condition for that cost? Not for one moment.
[doublepost=1492531114][/doublepost]
It being compromised would have had no impact on sales. And as you said - there are messages to hackers. Once the console is sold Nintendo have made the only money they'll see from it, therefore hacking would have no impact on its manufacturing ending.

That's not true at all, Nintendo killed it because they're getting loads of feedback on the Switch to the tune of:

'Zelda is fantastic...but it's rather the only big game to play on the Switch. Other than a few ports from the Wii U on schedule, it's mainly indie games. I would buy a Switch for VC titles but you don't have that for Switch yet. Oh, or I could buy an NES Classic for $60, hack it, and get your entire remaining library for free!'

It's not about the $60 dollars that Nintendo doesn't get from a lost NES Classic sale, it's about the $100+ in lifetime VC sales per account that Nintendo loses on top of the $300 Switch and $70 pro controller that doesn't get sold. As crazy as it is, Nintendo doesn't want nostalgic gamers reliving their childhood, they want customers that are going to be customers on a forward basis. In recognising, as I have, the brand equity attrition that's continued unabated consistently for 30 years, Nintendo has used everything in the book to secure a long-term audience. The mobile market and Mum and Dad handing down old iPhones and iPads oliberated their generational, hook-'em-young strategy. Now, they're attempting to completely corner the dedicated handheld market, and Sony is going to let them because they know that's a losing battle of diminishing returns anywise. Nintendo, for all of the feigned excitement and surprise regarding the Switch's 'meteoric launch', know the numbers and far better than I do since they have the complete and unadjusted sales figures: they had a minimum die-hard audience of around 9m that would buy a Nintendo branded abacus if it was put on offer at a $300 price point. But they also know that they have an increasingly fickle broader audience, with diminishing discretionary income, and they aren't willing to let the possibility of a single sale go unconverted because they had a cheaper, more attractive alternative. They would rather use the production cost go to making more Switches and more games.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I think you've missed the point I was making. It doesn't matter how well it sold, the fact that it's been turned into an all-in-one piracy box means Nintendo can't continue to produce it.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think you've missed the point I was making. It doesn't matter how well it sold, the fact that it's been turned into an all-in-one piracy box means Nintendo can't continue to produce it.

I would agree. Nintendo have always hated piracy and actively gone out of their way to try and clamp down with some success and a lot of failure too.

The ease of hacking the NES CM not only for Nintendo titles, but for other systems too - it was inevitable going to impact it.

Thought to be honest, most of us and those looking to get one had already pretty much made the device EOL months ago with just remnants of stock popping up briefly here and there.

I do wonder how long it will be before the Switch gets inevitably hacked and what Nintendo do to address that.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If that was a real problem they'd easily be able to add protection for future models.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
If that was a real problem they'd easily be able to add protection for future models.
Well it was most likely a real problem because there's no other sensible reason for them to discontinue it. It was great publicity for their brand and probably a money-spinner too. Pulling it from sale and abandoning it to the ebay scalpers will alienate fans who were unable to buy one, but by killing it this quickly they can claim it was a one-off limited edition or whatever.

It's unlikely they could really protect it. I'd guess that the reason they didn't announce its demise as soon as the first production run sold out was because they were looking at how to add security for the next version. Modern consoles need constant updates to keep them relatively safe, which is not an option with something like this. Perhaps they could glue the case together, remove the USB port and entomb the entire motherboard in resin...

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I managed to score an NES Classic last Friday at Walmart. I'll probably keep it stock instead of hacking it, since I already have an emulator setup.

What I don't have is a good retro wireless gamepad. What are people using?

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Nintendo working on a SNES Mini, will launch it this holiday – report
Nintendo is reportedly working on a mini version of the Super Nintendo, planned for release later this year.

SNES-JPN-600x338.jpg

Nintendo is developing another addition to the Nintendo Classic Mini series of consoles. This time, it’s going to be a mini versions of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), according to a new report.

Sources “closed to the company” revealed this information to Eurogamer, which added that the mini-console would be available in time for Christmas.

Interestingly, the site notes that the abrupt discontinuation of the NES Classic Mini was due to the Nintendo’s plans to follow it up with a the SNES Mini. The console is said to follow the same plug-and-play setup and will come with pre-installed games.

Article Continues Below
No details about the number of games, their names, or any other info was provided. That said, there’s no shortage of classic titles on the system, so it would be hard to narrow the number down to a couple dozen.

http://www.vg247.com/2017/04/19/nintendo-working-on-a-snes-mini-will-launch-it-this-holiday-report/

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro

One word for everyone that will inevitably get shafted by this dodge: Higan.

Google it. You're welcome.
[doublepost=1492627743][/doublepost]
I managed to score an NES Classic last Friday at Walmart. I'll probably keep it stock instead of hacking it, since I already have an emulator setup.

For which system?

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
One word for everyone that will inevitably get shafted by this dodge: Higan.

Google it. You're welcome.
[doublepost=1492627743][/doublepost]

For which system?

NES and SNES style controllers with Bluetooth wireless for use on variety of systems (MacOS, RasberryPi, and NES Classic with wireless dongle).

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Yeah, the 8bitdo ones seem most popular and I will probably end up getting one of those. Thanks.
I was about to pickup an 8bitdo pro, but decided on the Logitech F710 instead because I'm sharing that controller with multiple systems. A Bluetooth controller having to run the pairing process each time is a big hassle. The Logitech uses a micro receiver that stores in the battery compartment, just simply plug the receiver when moving to another system. Obviously this only works with consoles with a USB port.

The D pad on this Logitech is fantastic, and works great with the Raspberry pi.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
F710 has been around for ever. I've got a prior gen wired logitech 'dual action' controller I used to use for retro gaming. I'm now using a Sony Dual Shock 4 with their wireless bluetooth to USB dongle. That's ok for now, but I think a true gamepad that ditches the analog sticks would feel more retro, albeit less ergonomic.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

The 8bitDo ones are amazing! They feel identical to the originals (save for the NES one having more buttons), have good batteries, and yeah I can't fault them. I own 2 SNES, 1 NES and 1 N64 models but haven't bought the wireless adapter for my NES Mini yet.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I haven't really touched mine since the week it came out. I wonder how much I could get if I sold mine? Someone told me they will stop making these once the switch virtual online store goes live.
4a56bdab1bf8b0caa0d75f1e2870e2a7.jpg

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I haven't really touched mine since the week it came out. I wonder how much I could get if I sold mine? Someone told me they will stop making these once the switch virtual online store goes live.
4a56bdab1bf8b0caa0d75f1e2870e2a7.jpg

Some places have people selling them for ~$500 or higher, especially seeing that Nintendo stopped making these, and shifted to making a SNES Classic.

The last shipment of NES Classics are going out this week.

BL.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Some places have people selling them for ~$500 or higher, especially seeing that Nintendo stopped making these, and shifted to making a SNES Classic.

The last shipment of NES Classics are going out this week.

BL.

Damn 500! I would sell mine in a heartbeat for 500 bucks.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
IMG_0342.JPG
Availability in the UK has hit hard.

Not bothering with a SNES one if it ever comes available, I have two working ones.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
View attachment 697534
Availability in the UK has hit hard.

Not bothering with a SNES one if it ever comes available, I have two working ones.
Same here, but I believe the big feature of the NES mini is HDMI output, more games, hackability, size. The scalper prices are ludicrous and it's certainly not worth that by itself - modded and it becomes a lot more useful. On mine I have 30 each of SNES, GBA, GB, Atari, PCE games, a hundred NES and a couple of N64 games. At that point it becomes a very capable and useful machine. I guess that's a big part of the prices skyrocketing.

Ive got a friend that works at a CEX. Most of their pricing comes from looking up eBay auctions. (And another second hand shop, where another friend used to work, would get theirs from CEX and knock a couple of quid off :D )

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Damn 500! I would sell mine in a heartbeat for 500 bucks.

Actually, I take that back. Some people on Ebay have it up in the $50,000 range, and going down. Yesterday when I checked, there were a few bids on one that was starting at $10,000, and that was the reserve price! :eek:

I was actually able to score one yesterday, at retail price. :) :)

If any of you are still looking for one, try this link:

http://brickseek.com/product/nintendo-nes-classic-edition/1/

This checks the stock at most places (Best Buy will not be on this, as they keep their stock hidden WELL). Put in your zip/post code, and it will check to see if any store within a 50 mile radius has them.

I found one at Walmart (ugh) and went there immediately. there were 2 other people there looking for them, but the employees try to lie to get you out of getting them. You'll need either the UPC number or barcode or the SKU number. You'll need to play hardball to have someone scan one of those, and if they tell you that they are sold or that they are in someone's shopping cart and aren't there, call them out on it; they have to make the purchase right then and there in the Electronics department, as it is a locked item, and would immediately be taken out of their inventory upon purchase.

Check the site and reload it constantly; I'd say at least every 10 minutes. They are still coming in, but stores may get no more than 5 of them, so if you see them, jump on it immediately.

BL.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Actually, I take that back. Some people on Ebay have it up in the $50,000 range, and going down. Yesterday when I checked, there were a few bids on one that was starting at $10,000, and that was the reserve price! :eek:

I was actually able to score one yesterday, at retail price. :) :)

If any of you are still looking for one, try this link:

http://brickseek.com/product/nintendo-nes-classic-edition/1/

This checks the stock at most places (Best Buy will not be on this, as they keep their stock hidden WELL). Put in your zip/post code, and it will check to see if any store within a 50 mile radius has them.

I found one at Walmart (ugh) and went there immediately. there were 2 other people there looking for them, but the employees try to lie to get you out of getting them. You'll need either the UPC number or barcode or the SKU number. You'll need to play hardball to have someone scan one of those, and if they tell you that they are sold or that they are in someone's shopping cart and aren't there, call them out on it; they have to make the purchase right then and there in the Electronics department, as it is a locked item, and would immediately be taken out of their inventory upon purchase.

Check the site and reload it constantly; I'd say at least every 10 minutes. They are still coming in, but stores may get no more than 5 of them, so if you see them, jump on it immediately.

BL.

Good luck grabbing one!

And if anyone wants mine I will gladly sell it for $1000.00 lol. Includes shipping haha

skinsone

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
Coming to this party late. Kids were totally disappointed we could not get a classic edition.

We have had every console from the beginning back in the 80s. Then the boys got hooked on Halo and Call of Duty so all the nintendo consoles were packed away except for the wii console.

Fortunately while on the Nintendo site the other day, I discovered much to my surprise, we could download 5 Zelda games to the wii :D so after powering the console and updating it I downloaded the first three Zelda games and Donkey Kong Country this morning. I can also report that the classic controllers work on the games :p .

Kids will be totally surprised when they get home from work today. They will have a field day seeing what other games they can download.

FYI, all the games on the classic edition are available to download except for Dr Mario from the wii store.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Coming to this party late. Kids were totally disappointed we could not get a classic edition.

We have had every console from the beginning back in the 80s. Then the boys got hooked on Halo and Call of Duty so all the nintendo consoles were packed away except for the wii console.

Fortunately while on the Nintendo site the other day, I discovered much to my surprise, we could download 5 Zelda games to the wii :D so after powering the console and updating it I downloaded the first three Zelda games and Donkey Kong Country this morning. I can also report that the classic controllers work on the games :p .

Kids will be totally surprised when they get home from work today. They will have a field day seeing what other games they can download.

FYI, all the games on the classic edition are available to download except for Dr Mario from the wii store.
And if you were really desperate to do so - the Wii is super easy to hack and install all NES Mini games :) . I modded mine years ago just to install all the old NES and Mega Drive games I used to own as a kid that were never released on the eShop.

Justin_Kemp

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2017
NYC
Sadly they discontinue it for more focusing on Switch. Actually NES classic is really great for retro gaming

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.