Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
And if you were really desperate to do so - the Wii is super easy to hack and install all NES Mini games :) . I modded mine years ago just to install all the old NES and Mega Drive games I used to own as a kid that were never released on the eShop.
Is this just through the Homebrew channel? My wife did that to my Wii a few years back, but I don't think i really used it for anything.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Is this just through the Homebrew channel? My wife did that to my Wii a few years back, but I don't think i really used it for anything.
Yeah, the Homebrew channel opens the system up. From there you can install new channels for specific emulators. To save space when the Wii U came out and I transfered my Wii there, I just installed emulators with individual rom files. Which saves SO much space because when you buy a Virtual Console game on the Wii you get the rom AND the emulator in each one. I also wasn't happy with how their ownership of purchases works. I wanted to keep my VC games on my Wii AND Wii U... and I did :)

Have a play with it! The NES Mini's controller port is the same as a Wiimote after all, so you can get replica NES and SNES controllers real easy.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Hmm, I have most of these games in cartridge form for my original SNES. Not sure how much more I would play them on this thing. Wireless controllers would be a selling point?

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Apparently someone at Nintendo said they would be producing these to the end of the year, and no plans to beyond that. Crazy.... what kind of business in their right mind would discontinue a product which sells out(NES Classic).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Got my SNES Mini preordered :) really excited for the two-controllers, I hope they're playable on other Nintendo systems too.

But I've also made a folder on my NES Mini with all the games the SNES one will have, heh.
[doublepost=1498582583][/doublepost]
Darnit...

Starfox 2....

http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic

$80 for just one game? (I play SNES on an actual console).

Can't Nintendo just release that game on VC?
No doubt the ROM will be extracted now, so that's pretty good too. For archival reasons.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Got my SNES Mini preordered :) really excited for the two-controllers, I hope they're playable on other Nintendo systems too.

But I've also made a folder on my NES Mini with all the games the SNES one will have, heh.
[doublepost=1498582583][/doublepost]
No doubt the ROM will be extracted now, so that's pretty good too. For archival reasons.

I don't know if it has the same controller ports as the original SNES - the 2 ports would span bigger than the retro model...

Yeah, extracting the ROM.

Alas, I looked at the youtube vids of Starfox 2. I guess there is a reason I don't really play Starfox on the SNES anymore, now that I'm used to EVERSPACE and Star Citizen... :eek:

Would probably get the Starfox games VC on the Switch if Nintendo finally decides to release them anyways.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Wouldn't it be great if...
Nintendo released a NESc/SNESc/N64c without any games (or maybe just Mario?), but with wifi and eShops specific for each console.
And then releases dev tools for studios and indies to develop NES/SNES/N64 games for said eShops?
BYO micro-SD.

Reactions: Fernandez21

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Wouldn't it be great if...
Nintendo released a NESc/SNESc/N64c without any games (or maybe just Mario?), but with wifi and eShops specific for each console.
And then releases dev tools for studios and indies to develop NES/SNES/N64 games for said eShops?
BYO micro-SD.
What would be even better is if they just release the software for the switch to get those same games and then offer "classic" wireless controllers of each of the systems controllers that you can use for the games. And maybe even a USB controller port so you can use the classic controllers if you have them.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
What would be even better is if they just release the software for the switch to get those same games and then offer "classic" wireless controllers of each of the systems controllers that you can use for the games. And maybe even a USB controller port so you can use the classic controllers if you have them.

If they were to do this properly, and by that I mean if they released controllers that had excellent build quality on par with the originals, and the VC was immediately mature, i.e. not 5 - 10 games per with vague promises of drip-feeding one a month of the lifespan of the Switch, I would buy one as soon as it became available. I have no interest at all in Nintendo's present or announced library for the Switch, but their legacy library is second to none, and I'm more than willing to pay good money to get access to it.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
If they were to do this properly, and by that I mean if they released controllers that had excellent build quality on par with the originals, and the VC was immediately mature, i.e. not 5 - 10 games per with vague promises of drip-feeding one a month of the lifespan of the Switch, I would buy one as soon as it became available. I have no interest at all in Nintendo's present or announced library for the Switch, but their legacy library is second to none, and I'm more than willing to pay good money to get access to it.

You got to hand it to them that they seem to be doing a great job with software releases this year for the Switch. A Zelda & Mario flagship title in the same year! And then a Mario Kart, Splatoon, etc. I really thought they would delay Odyssey.

As averse as i am to accumulating too much plastic. I reckon i would buy the wifi classic consoles, or even the classic controllers for the Switch VC.

At this point in time, I just wonder if Nintendo will be capable of meeting demand for the Switch hardware. They really should not have released that 2DS XL thing, or even additional colors of the controllers. They should have focused on the new console hardware from the get-on.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
You got to hand it to them that they seem to be doing a great job with software releases this year for the Switch. A Zelda & Mario flagship title in the same year! And then a Mario Kart, Splatoon, etc. I really thought they would delay Odyssey.

I don't have to hand anything, only Odyssey is a new title. BotW was in development for five years on the Wii U and just got ported. Mario Kart is a port as well. Splatoon might as well be, since it's the same engine and there's really not much in the way of story, being an MP shooter. Kirby, Yoshi and Metroid are at least eighteen months off. The pickings are bloody slim from where I sit.

At this point in time, I just wonder if Nintendo will be capable of meeting demand for the Switch hardware. They really should not have released that 2DS XL thing, or even additional colors of the controllers. They should have focused on the new console hardware from the get-on.

They haven't done because they still aren't certain of its success, despite the blustery news reports and the rumours of 'component shortages'. I've tracked the console from launch and it's been a middling performance. It's roughly 20% over Wii U sales at this time LTD, but in reality it's generally settled at roughly 2 - 3x on a per week basis lifetime versus the Wii U, which would put it somewhere between 26 and 40m (I estimated around 33.5m in my initial analysis), assuming a 4-year lifespan, which its not likely to exceed because its portability and increasing horsepower disparity between itself and other consoles is going mean it will increasingly rely on indies and first-party titles as it matures, exactly like the Wii U. As for the obsession with accessories, and high-priced accessories at that, the reason isn't difficult to suss if you realise what the Switch is versus the old paradigm of dedicated console and dedicated handheld. Last generation saw roughly 78.7m total hardware sales. They still haven't killed the DS line, despite it ostensibly cannibalising Switch sales at a rate of one DS for every two Switches. Why haven't they done so? Simple. Assuming that the DS remains on sale and steadily sold through 2018 as promised, approximately 85% of hardware sales during the Switch generation will come from Switch, which has a per-unit profit approximately one-third that of the 3DS, as opposed to the opposite situation with the 3DS and the Wii U, which incidentally was the only thing that allowed Nintendo to be in the black to any meaningful degree during that generation. If I'm right, and the rosiest sales multiplier holds for the Switch, as I said numerous times, you're looking at a generational shortfall in hardware unit sales of over 20m units and 85% of volume having 30 - 35% of the profit realisation. That is why they're hawking Joy-Cons in all the colours of the rainbow, and $90 Switch docks.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
And the thing is Nintendo have been *great* at creating replica controllers. The NES Mini one, when side by side with an original is no different to it. Ditto for the SNES one they released for the Wii U.

They really do need to just get their arse in gear. As you say, a instantly matured VC marketplace - maybe not all games (each one needs to go through QA for each console, that's why it takes so long) but a very healthy chunk of classics from day 1. It'd be tremendous and it's made me mildly sad that this very event hasn't happened yet.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
And the thing is Nintendo have been *great* at creating replica controllers. The NES Mini one, when side by side with an original is no different to it. Ditto for the SNES one they released for the Wii U.

They really do need to just get their arse in gear. As you say, a instantly matured VC marketplace - maybe not all games (each one needs to go through QA for each console, that's why it takes so long) but a very healthy chunk of classics from day 1. It'd be tremendous and it's made me mildly sad that this very event hasn't happened yet.

Wanna bet we'll see a new new 2ds xl and new joy-con colors before that happens? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.