Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Nintendo just announced the new 2DS XL, $149.

http://www.nintendo.com/2ds/new-nintendo-2ds

new-nintendo-2ds-xl-angled-open.png

It is essentially a new 3DS XL without the 3D.

I love my new 3DS XL (with the larger screens, face-tracking and faster processor), but if you don't use the 3D, you can't go wrong with this version.

I was wondering when they were going to do something like this.

All the US needs is the new 3DS just readily available (instead of only special occasions).

Also, there's speculations of a Switch Mini by next year.... :eek:

http://bgr.com/2017/04/14/nintendo-switch-mini-release-date/

;)

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I'm concerned that Switch isn't getting all the attention it needs so early in its life.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Gorgeous. I wouldn't mind one actually! Might get that orange one when they drop in price, just to complete my collection :)
[doublepost=1493459173][/doublepost]
I'm concerned that Switch isn't getting all the attention it needs so early in its life.
It's doing great so far, according to sales.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Gorgeous. I wouldn't mind one actually! Might get that orange one when they drop in price, just to complete my collection :)

This version looks very TRON... :)

Paring down my collection just to pay for all the new stuff, but decided to keep the Nintendo Handhelds because they are doing so well with them.

I was at a local used movie/music/gaming store and also at a Half Price Books in the same strip mall and people were buying the old Gameboys and games when I was there as they're really reasonably priced...

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Looks pretty good. I'd get one if I didn't already have the New 3DS XL. I had a 2DS but sold it and went for the New 3DS XL for the larger screens. I never use the 3D though - just briefly to see what it was like but it's hard for me to see it.
Timing for this release seems a bit weird? Maybe should have been a year or two ago?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Looks pretty good. I'd get one if I didn't already have the New 3DS XL. I had a 2DS but sold it and went for the New 3DS XL for the larger screens. I never use the 3D though - just briefly to see what it was like but it's hard for me to see it.
Timing for this release seems a bit weird? Maybe should have been a year or two ago?

Last rumor I heard - shareholders were gonna tell Nintendo to "give up on hardware" if the Switch was a flop - it is quite the opposite now.

Plus I guess Nintendo wanted to work on the Switch launch as well.

So with Nintendo still "in the game" - new hardware can continue... :)

glitched

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2017
I'm totally excited by the New Nintendo 2DS. I love that handheld, but paying money for a 3D feature I absolutely don't use seems like a bad move. I'm glad they're removing it for this new handheld. :D

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I'm totally excited by the New Nintendo 2DS. I love that handheld, but paying money for a 3D feature I absolutely don't use seems like a bad move. I'm glad they're removing it for this new handheld. :D

Yes...

Instead of a VR Headset from Nintendo, how about a Switch 3D (same screen as the 3DS XL but same size as the Switch).... :eek:

(Did I just say that?) :)

Justin_Kemp

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2017
NYC
Well, the timing is pretty weird, but its really normal in Japan. The only reason i didn't have the 2ds is because of the design. It's big and bulky and plus is not fit on my pocket. 2DS XL is a great timing for me and i am considering to buy it.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I am intrigued ... I still haven't jumped on the 3DS train (last was the DSi), missed a good New 3DS XL sale last year ... might grab this one :)

PaulaE

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2017
Spain
I am totally thinking about selling my Nintendo 3Ds XL...and getting one of those! Looks amazing and I don't even use the 3d mode..so..

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I am totally thinking about selling my Nintendo 3Ds XL...and getting one of those! Looks amazing and I don't even use the 3d mode..so..

I had a 3DS XL and going to the NEW 3DS XL was like night and day - the processing power and the analog stick on the right make a huge difference (boot up is almost instant compared to the original).

It will be a great upgrade for you, especially since now you don't have to pay for the 3D feature that you don't use...

Post your review!

Reactions: PaulaE

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
it is weird that US didn't get the white/orange one

I've never owned any DS, I wonder if id be better with a 2ds xl with TN screen or hunting for a 3DS XL dual IPS screen

Or if the form factor/price drop/new-ness is worth going 2ds xl

This is all assuming one doesn’t care about 3d whatsoever

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
it is weird that US didn't get the white/orange one

I've never owned any DS, I wonder if id be better with a 2ds xl with TN screen or hunting for a 3DS XL dual IPS screen

Or if the form factor/price drop/new-ness is worth going 2ds xl

This is all assuming one doesn’t care about 3d whatsoever

Are you talking about using an older 3DS XL in 2D?

The faster processor as well as right stick and newer design is well worth the 2DS XL...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Are you talking about using an older 3DS XL in 2D?

The faster processor as well as right stick and newer design is well worth the 2DS XL...

True!

i think this is the conclusion I reached too

I did the weighing retail package thing with a scale at two Targets and one walmart,

https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS_IPS_TN/comments/50wen1/new_galaxy_style_new_3dsxl_post_tn_or_ips/

According to CandiceMarie’s post, and best I found weight wise of new 3DS XL (black/grey or galaxy) was ONE that was IPS bottom and TN top which sucks more than dual TN because top should be IPS if anything, not the touch screen thats secondary.

All the rest virtually were leaning towards dual TN which I figured,

I weighed about 8 of the new 2DS XL’s, and the weight was the same for all

I think I’ll just be happy with what I got especially at $150 and $154 after tax with my Target red card, but I’m a screen stickler :) and curious above all else

I really like the 2DS XL general lightness and design anyways!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
True!

i think this is the conclusion I reached too

I did the weighing retail package thing with a scale at two Targets and one walmart,

https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS_IPS_TN/comments/50wen1/new_galaxy_style_new_3dsxl_post_tn_or_ips/

According to CandiceMarie’s post, and best I found weight wise of new 3DS XL (black/grey or galaxy) was ONE that was IPS bottom and TN top which sucks more than dual TN because top should be IPS if anything, not the touch screen thats secondary.

All the rest virtually were leaning towards dual TN which I figured,

I weighed about 8 of the new 2DS XL’s, and the weight was the same for all

I think I’ll just be happy with what I got especially at $150 and $154 after tax with my Target red card, but I’m a screen stickler :) and curious above all else

I really like the 2DS XL general lightness and design anyways!

I didn't understand what you meant...

Thanks for the link - I didn't know there was such a variance in screens on the XL units.

Looking at mine, I got top IPS and bottom TN. I guess the batch I had gotten they started putting TN on the bottom for cost? (When I got mine, many places started having it on sale for $175).

I guess I'm lucky. Is Nintendo just using TN screens now?

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I didn't understand what you meant...

Thanks for the link - I didn't know there was such a variance in screens on the XL units.

Looking at mine, I got top IPS and bottom TN. I guess the batch I had gotten they started putting TN on the bottom for cost? (When I got mine, many places started having it on sale for $175).

I guess I'm lucky. Is Nintendo just using TN screens now?

You still are lucky

IPS top TN bottom is hard to find, better viewing angles and deeper blacks and richer colors.

dual IPS is a unicorn

And all 2DS XL afaik are dual TN

It’s only the new 3DS XL where there are IPS panels in existence, but far and few between

Then within that, there’s calibration/build differences even between any two TN panels and any two IPS’s.

Had enough of hearing about it? It’s like an inception-game of screen lottery, x 2, since dual screen Devices.

I wouldn’t care at all about TN bottom on the new 3DS XL,

BUT on a 3DS XL if top is TN it would either have to be well calibrated (my 2DS XL TN looks pretty nice, the bottom looks kinda blown out and even comparatively terrible off angle, but i dont care its the top one thats more cause of concern since thats where most of the action happens that isnt HUD or map stuff)

On another note, its a good thing I didn’t go down the rabbit hole of swapping like crazy, or hunting when it seemed like there was still a chance to get one, knowing my luck I’d get an ugly IPS if I could even find one,

And the screen is still low resolution so its not like you’ll ever find a screen that will amount to a decent 6.6” 720p Switch screen (all IPS afaik) period,

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.