Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
You still are lucky

IPS top TN bottom is hard to find, better viewing angles and deeper blacks and richer colors.

dual IPS is a unicorn

And all 2DS XL afaik are dual TN

It’s only the new 3DS XL where there are IPS panels in existence, but far and few between

Then within that, there’s calibration/build differences even between any two TN panels and any two IPS’s.

Had enough of hearing about it? It’s like an inception-game of screen lottery, x 2, since dual screen Devices.

I wouldn’t care at all about TN bottom on the new 3DS XL,

BUT on a 3DS XL if top is TN it would either have to be well calibrated (my 2DS XL TN looks pretty nice, the bottom looks kinda blown out and even comparatively terrible off angle, but i dont care its the top one thats more cause of concern since thats where most of the action happens that isnt HUD or map stuff)

On another note, its a good thing I didn’t go down the rabbit hole of swapping like crazy, or hunting when it seemed like there was still a chance to get one, knowing my luck I’d get an ugly IPS if I could even find one,

And the screen is still low resolution so its not like you’ll ever find a screen that will amount to a decent 6.6” 720p Switch screen (all IPS afaik) period,

Yes, what I'm hearing is that all 2DS XL's are TN, one pic I saw had a 2DS XL with both screens perfectly calibrated - it looked like dual IPS screens.

Nintendo needed to put TN screens in for the 2DS XL, obviously, to keep weight and costs down...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yes, what I'm hearing is that all 2DS XL's are TN, one pic I saw had a 2DS XL with both screens perfectly calibrated - it looked like dual IPS screens.

Nintendo needed to put TN screens in for the 2DS XL, obviously, to keep weight and costs down...

Yeah i dont find it surprising at all

Especially considering I would wager 98% of “new” 3ds xl on the shelf has zero IPS displays haha

Ill count my blessings on the 2DS XL I picked up yesterday :D

The top screen is do-Able,

Is it shocking Ive managed to NEVER own a single DS until now?

That includes DS (1 or DSi idk), 2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL, new 3DS XL,

I think that’s all of them

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
What do you guys think of 2DS XL form vs new 3DS XL form?

anyone got or had a chance to play with both?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Returned my 2ds xl dual tn

Ips top tn bottom 3ds xl. The 3D and ips screen are nice. Even the tn bottom looks better calibrated

VFUu3oX.jpg

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah, I really like the 3D and was lucky to get at least a top IPS...

The faster processor and Face Tracking make all the difference in the world... :)

Agreed !

Was worth the premium

But 2ds xl has same processor innards as "new" 3ds xl

Even so that top TN was an absolute deal breaker.

But I'm pretty impressed by the stereoscopic 3D

And even though there are non -3d games and they've kinda slowed down on that 5of 6 of mine so far are 3D playable. All but Pokémon moon.

And tons of 3D backlog out there as well

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Agreed !

Was worth the premium

But 2ds xl has same processor innards as "new" 3ds xl

Even so that top TN was an absolute deal breaker.

But I'm pretty impressed by the stereoscopic 3D

And even though there are non -3d games and they've kinda slowed down on that 5of 6 of mine so far are 3D playable. All but Pokémon moon.

And tons of 3D backlog out there as well

I love the 3D - I can play Mario 3D World better with the 3D - I had the Mario games on the regular consoles and got rid of them all - I have trouble trying to make the jumps on a 2D screen (going all the way back to the N64).

Then, of course, there's my PSVR... :)

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I love the 3D - I can play Mario 3D World better with the 3D - I had the Mario games on the regular consoles and got rid of them all - I have trouble trying to make the jumps on a 2D screen (going all the way back to the N64).

Then, of course, there's my PSVR... :)

Awesome!

It's a good thing I *just* picked up Mario 3D world yesterday at Best Buy

I like the red physical box too

I have a link between worlds too but haven't fired that one up yet either

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Awesome!

It's a good thing I *just* picked up Mario 3D world yesterday at Best Buy

I like the red physical box too

I have a link between worlds too but haven't fired that one up yet either

It is great.

You can also get a bunch of 3DS games at Gamestop/Used Game stores on the cheap - while you can. I got a whole bunch of 3DS games for around $6 each...

Nintendo has done a great job with mobile gaming - they were pretty much the one to beat until the smartphones came along.

The Gameboy released in 1989, and the iPhone not until in 2007 when the technology for gaming on a phone finally arrived, and it is only 10 years old.

Nintendo has already gone onto dual screens, 3D WITHOUT glasses, and now a dockable handheld.

(looking at "dockable" smartphones - they are still sort of "clunky"...)

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It is great.

You can also get a bunch of 3DS games at Gamestop/Used Game stores on the cheap - while you can. I got a whole bunch of 3DS games for around $6 each...

Nintendo has done a great job with mobile gaming - they were pretty much the one to beat until the smartphones came along.

The Gameboy released in 1989, and the iPhone not until in 2007 when the technology for gaming on a phone finally arrived, and it is only 10 years old.

Nintendo has already gone onto dual screens, 3D WITHOUT glasses, and now a dockable handheld.

(looking at "dockable" smartphones - they are still sort of "clunky"...)

Nailed it

3ds and switch complement each other SO well. The market share and base of users to sell games to has spanned a long time and a lot of people. Many people own different theme3ds or different iterations of the systems. And

As you mentioned:
Dual screen and stereoscopic glasses free 3D, massive archive of titles that will lap Switchcfor some time and cheaper

And switch:
Dockable portable (and play type versatility) and 720/1080 capable graphics bump. And rumble and true dual joystick

Each one offers something unique

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Nailed it

3ds and switch complement each other SO well. The market share and base of users to sell games to has spanned a long time and a lot of people. Many people own different theme3ds or different iterations of the systems. And

As you mentioned:
Dual screen and stereoscopic glasses free 3D, massive archive of titles that will lap Switchcfor some time and cheaper

And switch:
Dockable portable (and play type versatility) and 720/1080 capable graphics bump. And rumble and true dual joystick

Each one offers something unique

btw - try to get a copy of Rayman 3D for 3DS (wow, the price went up to $13 - I had gotten it for $8) - I was playing it outside batting flies from around the screen... it was actually the game... ;)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
btw - try to get a copy of Rayman 3D for 3DS (wow, the price went up to $13 - I had gotten it for $8) - I was playing it outside batting flies from around the screen... it was actually the game... ;)

Thanks for recommendation!

Where are you seeing it for $13? Oh eBay probably

I loved rayman legends on X11 which I understand is coming to switch but I'm not gonna double dip it.

This should scratch the rayman itch

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

I caved. I got it for nothing due to trade ins etc, so can't complain at that.

Really nice bit of kit!

I hear woolys world is a good one

I'm not into jumping platformers (though I have and love Rayman which is very forgiving).

Yoshi's Woolly World is also very easy and lots of fun (I got it on sale with the Amiibo for $39)...

skinsone

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
Grandkids got this on release date. They upgraded from a DSi so it's fun for them to take a break from the xbox at least until COD is released in the fall. They got MarioKart 7 and can play the games they already have.

They aren't interested in the Switch but they have asked for the new SNES console when it goes on pre-order. If I can snag one or two they'll be Christmas gifts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.