Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Rumors of an Apple-Nokia collaboration appears to be unfounded... according to one seemingly reliable source.

An Apple-branded Phone -- and specifically and Nokia collaboration -- has been rumored in the recent past. This, despite Steve Jobs' ongoing denials that Apple would enter this market.

According to the source, Nokia has no current projects with Apple. (Of course this does not exclude other partnerships or an independent Apple project.)

el gringo

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2002
Sweden
I think apple is working closer to SonyEricsson than Nokia - and a friend of mine (working at SonyEricsson development in Sweden) told me that there are some kind of joint development - but obviously he couldn't say any specific...

Singen

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2004
Hellsinki
No connection

I have a couple of friends working at Nokia. While there are people at Nokia using Apple Laptops and such, there are definately no plans with Apple at this time that they are aware of.

I think we just have to count our blessings that Nokia is going with SyncML in the first place, they are after all the Microsft of the cell-phone world.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by el gringo
I think apple is working closer to SonyEricsson than Nokia - and a friend of mine (working at SonyEricsson development in Sweden) told me that there are some kind of joint development - but obviously he couldn't say any specific...

But that's all that really makes sense. It's perfectly sane for apple to work with phone companies to ensure compatability (with isync etc.), and then cross market. It doesn't make sense for apple to make its own phone to compete with them.

Other than getting the exact features you want, can anyone not find a single cell phone that doesn't provide as good an experience as apple likely would provide, for probably a much lower price?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Shame.. Symbian is a damned good OS for Smartphones (in fact, the only one I would bother with - Palm, and WINCE as smartphone OSes.. no I don't think so), since its specially built for this purpose.

I would have loved Apple/Nokia to have made a Apple brand phone with Symbian under the hood.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Forget about multi function phones, there is a really big market for a simple phone that just calls people and nothing else. I know so many people that would love a simple phone.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by Stella
Shame.. Symbian is a damned good OS for Smartphones (in fact, the only one I would bother with - Palm, and WINCE as smartphone OSes.. no I don't think so), since its specially built for this purpose.

I would have loved Apple/Nokia to have made a Apple brand phone with Symbian under the hood.

Sony Ericsson uses Symbian UIQ in a couple phones.

But, i think the idea behind an Apple phone is that they designed the OS. THis is why I do not see an Apple phone. I do see continuing collaboration between Apple and phone manufacturers to make them work well with OS X.

Victoriatus

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2002
Oulu, Finland
Nokia and media players

Originally posted by hokka
This does not surprise me as most recent Nokia users would know Nokia uses RealOne for video playback ( http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3532.html ) - since the 3650 about a year ago

...except that the software has nothing to do with this Apple - Nokia situation. Nokia uses MPEG4 technology in their phones, and since RealNetworks happens to have a media playback software for the Series 60, it's quite understandable to use it, instead of some nonexistent QuickTime for Series 60. MPEG4 would work just as fine with QT, if it existed.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Originally posted by hvfsl
Forget about multi function phones, there is a really big market for a simple phone that just calls people and nothing else. I know so many people that would love a simple phone.

I'll echo this. Saw a news program the other day about how modern cell phones are actually scaring off clients. . . they are too complicated and frustrating to operate, especially for older people (who have $$ to spend).

I just want a phone. Not a phone/PDA/camera/bottle opener.

-rik

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by rikers_mailbox
I'll echo this. Saw a news program the other day about how modern cell phones are actually scaring off clients. . . they are too complicated and frustrating to operate, especially for older people (who have $$ to spend).

I just want a phone. Not a phone/PDA/camera/bottle opener.

-rik

I second that. Just let me make a receive calls. None of that other annoying bloat.

scifiman

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2003
Re: iPhone.org

Originally posted by pmj
I'm left to wonder what exactly Apple is doing with iPhone.org.

Perhaps waiting to release a VoIP device called the iPhone that would also integrate into iChat to have a real video phone. Just a thought.

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
maybe its a g5 powerphone instead of a powerbook (sorry about the stab of all who keep posting about g5powerboooks on every thread)

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
What I want

A cellular phone with the following features

- bluetooth
- address book/caller id
- data sending/recieving capability
- models available for each of the different wireless standards

what i can live with IF it doesn't cost too much
- color screen
- polyphonic ring tones

what I don't need
- camera
- games
- other extraneous crap

Just a simple phone that serves as a simple phone. I don't want a do it all device. I want it to be a phone that I can integrate with my computer to share data. The digital hub idea all over again. A camera thats a camera, a printer thats a printer, a phone thats a phone. KISS principle. And I'm not saying you have to do away with the everything+the kitchen sink cell phones, just make a cell phone for the rest of us!

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: Re: Re: iPhone.org

Originally posted by windowsblowsass
i wonder why theyre protecting this address if its not for a phone

how many iproducts are made by others these days? a lot. Start with iRiver. Everything's an i-something. Apple is happy to prevent someone from adding to the i's, especially in an area they might not want consumer confusion, if they have relationships with SE, Nokia, or anyone.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: What I want

Originally posted by Krizoitz
A cellular phone with the following features

- bluetooth
- address book/caller id
- data sending/recieving capability
- models available for each of the different wireless standards

what i can live with IF it doesn't cost too much
- color screen
- polyphonic ring tones

what I don't need
- camera
- games
- other extraneous crap

Just a simple phone that serves as a simple phone. I don't want a do it all device. I want it to be a phone that I can integrate with my computer to share data. The digital hub idea all over again. A camera thats a camera, a printer thats a printer, a phone thats a phone. KISS principle. And I'm not saying you have to do away with the everything+the kitchen sink cell phones, just make a cell phone for the rest of us!

Here, here!

I don't understand the focus on cameras. Sure, some people want them, and that's fine. But it seems like there are two choices: stripped down, basic models, or models with a camera, games and what not. Why that?

Is it purely a revenue generation issue: stick features on phones that generate extra $$, as sending pics does (data rates) and renting/DLing games?

selloutvixen

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2003
Connecticut, USA
I'm a wireless consultant.. and being a geek, I'm frustrated with the lack of decent phones that we offer.

Basically three categories:
Get-what-you-pay-for free phones
Camera phones with lots of extra crap
one or two decent phones that would be really good if it weren't for style/price

The only decent phone with the least bells and whistles is probably the Ericsson T616. The more basic of the bluetooth models is probably the Siemens S56, but people trust the Ericsson name more, which is fine. They both have bluetooth, color displays, polyphonic ringtones, extensive phone book, GPRS, etc.

I definitely heard through the grapevine of many iSync collaborations between Sony Ericsson and Apple. :)

squatch

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003
iPhone not for commercial use

Seeing as they hold the rights to iPhone.org and not iPhone.com leads me to believe that for whatever reason, it will NOT be a website for commercial gain. Otherwise it would be iPhone.com. The only logical reasoning for the non-commercial domain site Apple owns is if they plan to use it strictly for information postings, owner feedback/suggestions of an "iPhone", or develop a community of iPhone owners who what an interconnected network between themselves. Just my 2 cents.

jwhitnah

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
WI
Originally posted by e-coli
I second that. Just let me make a receive calls. None of that other annoying bloat.

Totally agree. I'm on my 5th phone since 1997 and I'm damn sick of learning yet another complicated unintuitve interface. But there is also room for interface improvement while keeping or improving current phone features.

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Apple needs to work with phone companies

If you want a simple phone, just go and get one. They're usually free. The complex phones are the ones that cost money.

Today's cell phones really suck when you think about it. The cameras are really poor quality, it's not real video, low storage, etc... As Ed Helms said in Digital Watch on the Daily Show...Finally companies are combining the battery life of digital cameras with the image quality of a cell phone.

However, things are going to improve very rapidly. It won't be long before "The Portable Device" is something that can take 4-6 megapixel images with decent quality and store tons of them in the tens/hundreds of GBs of storage.

Likewise they'll have headphone jacks so you'll use them like an iPod...again with enough storage to carry the entire library of an average person.

Combine this with all the usual PDA and game stuff in a unit that is as small as today's smallest cell phones.

These units will be dockable with your car, computer and home entertainment center.

Apple can not make this device, it could, but it can not compete in the market place. What it can, and should do, is provide licensable technology and services for these devices.

Most notably, they should start ASAP in getting these phone to be able to use a handheld version of iTunes and iTMS.

iPods days are numbered. Don't get me wrong, it's a friggin' awesome product...best on the market today...but hard drive capacities will increase to a ceiling where they hold just about anyone's entire library. Physical sizes will decrease, and prices will inevitably drop down to the point where Apple can not deal with the razor thin margins and competition.

The iPod was created to support Mac sales. iTMS was created to support iPod sales. At some point if the iTMS emerges as the winner (and it sure is looking good today), it will become not only a significant revenue stream, but a powerful force for Apple to influence and enter other markets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.