Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Re: What I want

Originally posted by Krizoitz
A cellular phone with the following features

- bluetooth
- address book/caller id
- data sending/recieving capability
- models available for each of the different wireless standards

what i can live with IF it doesn't cost too much
- color screen
- polyphonic ring tones

what I don't need
- camera
- games
- other extraneous crap

Just a simple phone that serves as a simple phone. I don't want a do it all device. I want it to be a phone that I can integrate with my computer to share data. The digital hub idea all over again. A camera thats a camera, a printer thats a printer, a phone thats a phone. KISS principle. And I'm not saying you have to do away with the everything+the kitchen sink cell phones, just make a cell phone for the rest of us!

I'll be in line right after you.

fatbarstard

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2003
New Zealand
Ringa - dinga - dingaling

Ya just can't rule out Apple doing something neat with phones sometime in the near future.

The problem with most of the current stable of mobiles is that they are a solution looking for a problem. A camera in a phone is novel for about 5 seconds and then who cares...

The mobile network operates need to find handset solutions that ramp up data traffic on their networks otherwise things like 3G are dead... I mean if your just going to make phone calls even 2G is pretty much a dumb idea.

Apple's reputaiton for producing stunning ideas and making them easy to use is what will draw Apple and phone companies together - I suspect operators more than handset manufacturers.

Its not that Apple is going after this market.. it seems to me that it is more the phone market going after Apple - and who wouldn't want to play hard to get??

I suspect that it will be a phone manufacturer that licences some Apple software brilliance to produce a device that is actually easy to use, makes people want to use it and doesn't scare the pants off them...

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Re: Re: What I want

Originally posted by Le Big Mac
Here, here!

I don't understand the focus on cameras. Sure, some people want them, and that's fine. But it seems like there are two choices: stripped down, basic models, or models with a camera, games and what not. Why that?

Is it purely a revenue generation issue: stick features on phones that generate extra $$, as sending pics does (data rates) and renting/DLing games?

I totally agree... I don't understand this trend either... I have a GBA to play games on when I go on trips and stuff - I would probably never use a phone for this.. Camera thing doesn't suit me at all either... I think that particular portion of the market is aimed at teens/pre teens.... Unfortunately, we all suffer for that...

wallabyguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
First Poster here........

I am a member of the Greenfield consumer panel and received an invitation to a product evaluation about 3 months ago. The product was a cell phone. after running me through a series of routine questions and showing me some picture of current Nokia phones (although they were not named as such and at no point was any manufacturer named as the subject of the review) and features, they asked several questions about a "possible upcoming product". The phone had 2 cameras and was capable of video conferencing, email, voice recon., digital music, "hard drive capabilities", bluetooth and other features. The thing that really caught my attention was that the phone had a white inside shell and a clear outer shell. the edges where rounded, but here was the most interesting part, the keypad had the typical Nokia "send" and "end" buttons on either side of what appeared to be a IPod dial! Based on the feature description and the unit designed I was sure that it must have been an apple product but knew nothing of a phone in the planning stages until now. My thought, like many others, was that Apple was working on some type of next-gen Newton, so I dismissed it.

On last thing that I thought was odd about the survey. AT the end it asked me who I thought made the phone and listed several manufacturers and a blank at the bottom to fill in under "other". I wrote in Apple.

Toby O Notoby

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2003
Singapore
Okay, a case for more complicated phones:

A lot of times I'm called on trips where I'm only gone for a night or two. Ever since the Pismo blew up, we're down to one computer at home. So we have the choice of me taking the 12"PB with me or giving my wife access to Internet/Email.

But with, say, a SonyEricsson P900 I can surf the web, answer emails, take pictures or video, listen to MP3s at the gym, play games and even watch pre-taped television shows. Throw in a bluetooth keyboad and I can even get some serious work done with writing scripts and the like. So it effectively replaces not only my PowerBook, but my digital camera and iPod as well. Sure it doesn't do any of those as well as individual devices, but it does fit in my pocket and lets me travel light.

Having said that, We recently bought a new phone for my wife and went with a stripped down Nokia because she doesn't want, need or use any of the extraneous stuff.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Originally posted by el gringo
I think apple is working closer to SonyEricsson...some kind of joint development...

The only reason I have a Sony Ericsson phone and use Cingular Wireless as my provider is because at MWNY ´02 Steve Jobs announced a partnership between those two companies and Apple.

Still waiting to see what comes out of that collaborative effort.

UPDATE

Hmmm. Interesting.

Just saw a new commercial for Cingular that promotes America OnLine Instant Messenging through their network. Apparently AIM users can access their Buddy List from their phones and other stuff.

Hopefully this will tie in with iSight and iChat´s new Mac and Windows AIM compatability. Maybe we´ll be able to video conference from iSight to Sony Ericsson cell phones using Cingular´s network or something.

Dunno.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Re: Nokia partners with Real

Originally posted by hokka
This does not surprise me as most recent Nokia users would know Nokia uses RealOne for video playback ( http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3532.html ) - since the 3650 about a year ago
At least the new Nokia's play AAC (in addition to MP3). That's a good technological choice, but I'm not aware of the background alliances anymore.

ps. Not that I've listened to music on a phone... just glad to see it wasnt WMA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.