Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
4340FF91-38AD-415C-8C15-CAFFCEEDF092.jpeg
I have a folio-style case for my 12.9 M1 Pro, and it took a tumble into the parking lot while exiting my truck this morning. Not really dented but definitely left some marks. Screen is OK. I used to be one to obsess about this but I’m okay with it these days.

• Wow
Reactions: Retrostarscream

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
No, I’ll take my chances and try to be more careful. Lesson learned. I switch back and forth between the case and the Magic Keyboard, so I like the ease of removing the folio and especially the light weight. I’ve got a leather sleeve ordered that would have prevented any damage at all.

Reactions: Retrostarscream

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
This is the main reason I ordered the pitaka magez case. Had it on my 2020 pro and it saved my butt a few times. Glad it fits the folio and magic keyboard.

Livvie

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2021
Wales
Shame about the no corner protection on the MKB case but then its so nice to remove it so easily so catch 22 I guess

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
This is the main reason I ordered the pitaka magez case. Had it on my 2020 pro and it saved my butt a few times. Glad it fits the folio and magic keyboard.
Yeah what’s that like? Been thinking about it, like OP i swap between folio and MGK. Is it light must be? mainly want it for using with no case so can sit it down anywhere to protect the back.

OP, oops i dropped it again damn screen smashed, and swap it out with AC plus.

Robcat101

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2017
UK
That’s the obvious flaw with the folio style cases. Mine rarely leaves the house, so I prefer the neatness of the folio, but in a lot of ways the old style 2 piece silicone back and smart cover are better for protection.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Yeah what’s that like? Been thinking about it, like OP i swap between folio and MGK. Is it light must be? mainly want it for using with no case so can sit it down anywhere to protect the back.

OP, oops i dropped it again damn screen smashed, and swap it out with AC plus.
It’s nice, made from aramid fiber and has a good grip! As for weight the 11 inch is 3oz and the 12.9 inch version is 4.4oz. I don’t really notice the weight of it. Just the feel. Definitely gives you piece of mind tho.

Reactions: Surfman

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
I just received a @pitaka MagEZ2 case today (compatible with the ‘21 iPad Pros) for the same reason as the OP.

Will hold off final judgment but atm I would wait before ordering.

Mine has compatibility issues with the Apple folio top cover. Top cover wont sit flat and magnets won’t engage/aren’t lined to keep it closed when it’s on the iPad. So it flips open if it’s held vertically or turned over. Also magnet strength holding it to the folio/mkb seems less vs when it’s removed.

Pretty annoying… always better right than fast @pitaka.

Sent email to them. Will circle back with their response. I have zero interest buying their folio, have 2 Apple folios already. Don’t need another.

Attachments

• E76E599B-E16B-4026-8C9E-B0470B8DDCBC.jpeg
    E76E599B-E16B-4026-8C9E-B0470B8DDCBC.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 91DD9F00-0643-4062-B46F-87CCA24686ED.jpeg
    91DD9F00-0643-4062-B46F-87CCA24686ED.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Reactions: Davidalan

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
Heard back from @pitaka and the MagEZ2 case was not designed to be compatible with the Apple Smart Folio. So if you’re OK with the Apple folio cover NOT lying flat (as pictured) and flopping open, go ahead and buy it, otherwise look elsewhere. I hope this isn’t a misguided attempt to force a Pitaka folio cross sell.

Last edited:

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Heard back from @pitaka and the MagEZ2 case was not designed to be compatible with the Apple Smart Folio. So if you’re OK with the Apple folio cover NOT lying flat (as pictured) and flopping open, go ahead and buy it, otherwise look elsewhere. Imo that’s also some shady BS trying to force a cross sell for their folio by ensuring it DOES NOT work with Apples folio but DOES with the with Magic and Smart Keyboard.
Technically they only advertise it as a magic keyboard compatible case as for as apple cases go. But I’m running into this same problem. Thought it might be related to my screen protector since with a screen protector the folio on its own kinda struggles but still lies flat. There’s gotta be a way for this thing to stick down tho. Will update if I find anything. Also this thing is a perfect fit with the imos screen protector. So close to the edge!

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
Technically they only advertise it as a magic keyboard compatible case as for as apple cases go. But I’m running into this same problem. Thought it might be related to my screen protector since with a screen protector the folio on its own kinda struggles but still lies flat. There’s gotta be a way for this thing to stick down tho. Will update if I find anything. Also this thing is a perfect fit with the imos screen protector. So close to the edge!
Yeah but they DONT state it’s incompatible which is ********! If you look at the previous MagEZ case page, it CLEARLY states “MagEZ Case for iPad Pro 2018 & 2020 is not compatible with iPad Pro 2021.”

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
They solicited inputs from forum participants and guess they chose to ignore the most important “ensure compatibility with all Apple cases”. This product is going to be a complete flop. Theres a right way to generate cross sell revenue for their folio, this isn’t it.

I’m wondering if we remove this if it’ll sit better in the case.
2F076733-69AF-42BB-BF7F-63FF4575C108.jpeg

Attachments

• AB7BFD01-1A20-4122-AB19-AEAD63883DB5.png
    AB7BFD01-1A20-4122-AB19-AEAD63883DB5.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
They solicited inputs from forum participants and guess they chose to ignore the most important “ensure compatibility with all Apple cases”. This product is going to be a complete flop. Theres a right way to generate cross sell revenue for their folio, this isn’t it.

I’m wondering if we remove this if it’ll sit better in the case. View attachment 1803286
If it makes you feel better the 2018 case did the same exact thing with the Apple folio. And that was before they announced their own. I don’t think their is anyway to get it to work, this is all due to the thickness that the case adds which limits the folding part from stretching all the way over correctly. But I’m curious too what happens if we remove that piece. Don’t think it’ll help but you never know. It would probably work great with this case

Attachments

• AC54A4B8-44FC-433C-BB42-70467F9E642D.png
    AC54A4B8-44FC-433C-BB42-70467F9E642D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 103

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
If it makes you feel better the 2018 case did the same exact thing with the Apple folio. And that was before they announced their own. I don’t think their is anyway to get it to work, this is all due to the thickness that the case adds which limits the folding part from stretching all the way over correctly. But I’m curious too what happens if we remove that piece. Don’t think it’ll help but you never know. It would probably work great with this case
I think they can, just need to offset the lip outwards maybe 1-2mm or eliminate the raised portion/lip altogether. We really just want the side protection.

Lmk if that logo piece helps. I’m out of town so unable to mess with it but it looks like it’s just glued on. Thinking iPad sitting 1-2mm lower in the case may help.

ESR, could be… but the Apple stuff just works. No 2 ways about it.

Last edited:

shando

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Yeah but they DONT state it’s incompatible which is ********! If you look at the previous MagEZ case page, it CLEARLY states “MagEZ Case for iPad Pro 2018 & 2020 is not compatible with iPad Pro 2021.”

I have the old MagEZ Case, not 2. They had stated the case is compatible with the magic keyboard and smart keyboard folio. That's it. So I knew it's not compatible with all Apple cases.

The case 2 page says the same thing.

shando

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
I think they can, just need to offset the lip outwards maybe 1-2mm or eliminate the raised portion/lip altogether. We really just want the side protection.

Lmk if that logo piece helps. I’m out of town so unable to mess with it but it looks like it’s just glued on. Thinking iPad sitting 1-2mm lower in the case may help.

ESR, could be… but the Apple stuff just works. No 2 ways about it.
There's no such logo piece on the old case. If they put it on the case 2, there's a reason for it. I wouldn't attempt removing it. Might mess things up.

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
There's no such logo piece on the old case. If they put it on the case 2, there's a reason for it. I wouldn't attempt removing it. Might mess things up.
Eh the case doesn’t work for me anyway. I’ll either try modding it or return it.

There might be a magnet behind it for the MagEZ iPad stand Pitaka now makes.

Maybe it provides a bit of pressure to ensure the iPad “snaps” into the case. Will need to examine it more closely when I’m back in town.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Eh the case doesn’t work for me anyway. I’ll either try modding it or return it.

There might be a magnet behind it for the MagEZ iPad stand Pitaka now makes.

Maybe it provides a bit of pressure to ensure the iPad “snaps” into the case. Will need to examine it more closely when I’m back in town.
Definitely magnets behind it. apple wallet sticks to the back end really well now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.