Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Is this for real???

I get mine tomorrow but my buddy picked his up today. He said no Find My support on the AVP. This is very surprising considering it’s one of the more expensive portable Apple devices and contains PII.

Reactions: Antoniosmalakia

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Do they at least offer AC+ with Theft and Loss? I don’t believe I saw that as an option.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don’t see why is shouldn’t have the same hardware that the notebooks have to allow Find My. It could be that the software just isn’t ready yet.

Reactions: 4sallypat

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I don’t see why is shouldn’t have the same hardware that the notebooks have to allow Find My. It could be that the software just isn’t ready yet.
Isn’t it running a version of iPadOS though? I thought for sure Find My would be supported. I would’ve bet my left testicle on it.

Reactions: Ghost31

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
This is ridiculous. However, the solution isn’t so bad. Putting an AirTag in the case you store it in will work because from your face it’s going straight to the case anyways so the only time you’d lose it would be when it’s in the case.

Edit: I wrote this post from the AVP itself. Mind blowing how easy it is to use Safari and post something with just my voice, my fingers and my eyes.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
When I my iPhone was damaged in a car wreck and got hauled off with the car, Apple refused to honor my Apple Care+ and replace the phone because Find My was not activated prior to the accident. So, I guess Apple Care+ AVP apparently won't have that requirement.

• Wow
Reactions: 4sallypat

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
Mine has find my in the AVP’s iCloud settings, but it doesn’t show up from my find my app on my iPhone

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Last known location at the very least
This isn’t an iPhone that could get stuck between the couch cushions. I don’t see any value in anything less than full Find My for VP, and full Find My isn’t practical due to no internal battery. So the decision to omit it is practical.

Reactions: chabig

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Think you need a U1 chip in there for that. No reason to add the extra weight just for that feature. Every gram matters.

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
I have find my enabled for my AVP and I can see it on iCloud.com. All I can do on there is remove or hide device. I can't actually activate the activation lock like it says I can. In the find my app on any devices there is no mention of the AVP. What am I missing? Thanks.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I have find my enabled for my AVP and I can see it on iCloud.com. All I can do on there is remove or hide device. I can't actually activate the activation lock like it says I can.
it’s active, there’s no need to “activate” it. Simply signing into iCloud is all you need. Until such time as you physically sign out (using your password) or Remove it from iCloud.com (after logging in using your password) the VP can’t be used without your Apple ID.

Reactions: chabig and bizzy045

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I have find my enabled for my AVP and I can see it on iCloud.com. All I can do on there is remove or hide device. I can't actually activate the activation lock like it says I can. In the find my app on any devices there is no mention of the AVP. What am I missing? Thanks.
You're confusing activation lock with Find My's "lost" mode. Activation lock just means that once your device is registered to your AppleID, anyone else who tries to reset the device and activate it using their AppleID will be prevented from doing so. It's a theft deterrent.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
This isn’t an iPhone that could get stuck between the couch cushions. I don’t see any value in anything less than full Find My for VP, and full Find My isn’t practical due to no internal battery. So the decision to omit it is practical.
How about in the instance of leaving it behind at a family member’s home? If it’s in standby mode and can detect other nearby iPhones, a last known location would be nice... at the very least. Isn’t that how AirTags currently work?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
How about in the instance of leaving it behind at a family member’s home? If it’s in standby mode and can detect other nearby iPhones, a last known location would be nice... at the very least. Isn’t that how AirTags currently work?
That sounds like a good idea for V2.

Reactions: Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.