Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
How about in the instance of leaving it behind at a family member’s home? If it’s in standby mode and can detect other nearby iPhones, a last known location would be nice... at the very least. Isn’t that how AirTags currently work?
AirTags have a built in battery. VP does not.

I’m not saying there’s no potential value in Find My features. Just that with the battery being so easily detachable, it neutralizes the value.

Reactions: tbayrgs

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
My Mac Pro has find my support. It also doesn’t get lost between cushions.
True enough. It also doesn’t show its location unless it’s plugged in.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I expect Find My will eventually get added…. Then I expect people will complain about the lack of utility since it can’t update without the battery attached.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
Yeah I think folks are drastically overthinking the intention Apple put into this. Most likely IMO this isn’t there because a PM inside Apple made a timeline/resources decision

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Simple enough to attach an Airtag to the VP on top of the speaker enclosure.
I was trying to find a good spot to put one. Do you think that (silicone?) material would make a good hold with double sided sticky adhesive?

LiemTa

Suspended
Jun 2, 2014
Think you need a U1 chip in there for that. No reason to add the extra weight just for that feature. Every gram matters.
They added the entire front display when 99% of my use is alone, not interacting with other people for having this extra feature to even matter. They focused on the wrong thing

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Think you need a U1 chip in there for that. No reason to add the extra weight just for that feature. Every gram matters.
AirPods have Find My support. My ESR Geo MagSafe wallet has Find My support. Neither have the U1 chip. That’s only required for precision finding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.