Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Well

As expected folks..
The end of the road begins now for our beloved OGSE

Of course, it's not an immediate problem as things will continue to work just fine for a good long while.

I'd say the real issues might come in about a year and a half when iOS 17 is out and App developers really start to abandon iOS 15 support, particularly if it involves any kind of server side support.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
It's about time to leave them behind.

Not complaining about it

Just making note of it

A lot of us sticking to phones like the OGSE use our iPhones very differently and less intensively than the majority of iPhone enthusiasts anyhow. Being behind the latest is all good until software support fades eventually.

I'm hopeful there will be an iPhone Mini based SE by the time I truly need to abandon my OGSE

Last edited:

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
iPhone SE1/6S: A9 2GB RAM no iOS 16
iPad 5: A9 2GB RAM yes iPadOS 16

Hmm…..

Wouldn't be the first time Apple does weird things like this. Same with Macs. Plenty of low end Macs from less than 4 years ago get new software updates while older way more powerful models get neglected simply because of their age. Luckily for Macs there are always unofficial ways to install new releases but sadly for their mobile devices we're out of luck..

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Wouldn't be the first time Apple does weird things like this. Same with Macs. Plenty of low end Macs from less than 4 years ago get new software updates while older way more powerful models get neglected simply because of their age. Luckily for Macs there are always unofficial ways to install new releases but sadly for their mobile devices we're out of luck..

Sort of crappy…especially since they know folks are out there hanging on to SE1 specifically for the physical size.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I was still using iOS 9 all the way to when iOS 14 was out.
Scare tactics of “you’re not going to be supported” are just that.
Most apps that require the most recent iOS version are unnecessary anyway (financial apps). Their websites still work fine.

Reactions: tigerintank

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Most apps that require the most recent iOS version are unnecessary anyway (financial apps). Their websites still work fine.

Sometimes it can be something that's just a useful thing that folks use (like a certain podcast app, etc)

Anything with server syncing can start to throw up big issues for a user if you get a couple iOS versions behind.

For the SE1, I don't anticipate anything like that until iOS 17 is out and in wide use...so nearly 2 years really.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

At least for Mac, there is an excuse about driver support from vendors like Qualcomm and Intel hardware vulnerabilities.

iPadOS 16 support for A9 but not for iPhone doesn't make any sense.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
At least for Mac, there is an excuse about driver support from vendors like Qualcomm and Intel hardware vulnerabilities.

They did that with the iPad Mini 4 which supports iOS 15 whereas the iPhone 6 with the same chip was left unsupported.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
They did that with the iPad Mini 4 which supports iOS 15 whereas the iPhone 6 with the same chip was left unsupported.

True..
But I think we are right to not be happy about it.

The SE1 is just it's own case of "I wish they'd support it as long as possible" given the reason most folks are still using it. (physical size)

Reactions: tigerintank

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

iPad mini 4 had 2GB RAM. iPhone 6 had 1GB.

In the case of iOS 16, it makes no sense A9/2GB is supported for iPadOS 16 but iOS requires A11/2GB.

Reactions: Homme

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
True..
But I think we are right to not be happy about it.

The SE1 is just it's own case of "I wish they'd support it as long as possible" given the reason most folks are still using it. (physical size)
I too find it a strange quirk of iPad/iPhone seeing as iOS and iPadOS are basically the same thing.

The SE1 no longer being supported after iOS 15 is no surprise to me so I am not particularly disappointed. I still use my SE as my daily driver and will continue to do so until October. Six years of solid support is commendable from Apple so I am glad they paid so much care and attention to our beloved small phone.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016

In the case of iOS 16, it makes no sense A9/2GB is supported for iPadOS 16 but iOS requires A11/2GB.
Fair enough. My iPad Mini 4 has been well worth the money as I purchased one on release back in 2015 and expect it to still be usable and not lose app support until fall 2024.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As someone who has used various iPhones long after the last update I can say, it's not too bad. Stuff still works. Not all of it, but mostly the stuff you had installed.

My son has the original SE so he's stuck too. But for him, that's a secondary phone. We got him an SE 2020 last year so he should still be good with that phone.

Reactions: Tsepz and JPack

ediks

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2015

ipados doesn’t have the new lock screen features which may be heavy

zgagato

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2021

My OG ipad pro 12,9" with A9/4GB from 2015 is still supported what was unexpected...
And that thing is slow even on ios 12.

I would preferred to have support for ventura on my 15" 2015 MBP instead of the iPad.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
They should still get security updates for a year though, so not completely unsupported, yet. Although I was amazed when the 6 got an update 2/3 years after it was supported.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I’ve been using iPhone 5s as secondary devices, with a throwaway phone number for online account registrations, as a backup security token/device for online banking etc., or to use a foreign SIM for roaming.

A device released in 2013, unning iOS 12, which was originally released in 2018 - but received its latest security update, iOS 12.5.5 less than a year ago, in september 2021. Not too bad. And apps also worked for what little I needed them for. Even WhatsApp and Google Maps. Just slowly.

I think Apple knows that there are still loads of SE/6s devices in use, handed down to family members etc. - and I hope they’ll provide important security updates in a similar way.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’ve been using iPhone 5s as secondary devices, with a throwaway phone number for online account registrations, as a backup security token/device for online banking etc., or to use a foreign SIM for roaming.

A device released in 2013, unning iOS 12, which was originally released in 2018 - but received its latest security update, iOS 12.5.5 less than a year ago, in september 2021. Not too bad. And apps also worked for what little I needed them for. Even WhatsApp and Google Maps. Just slowly.

I think Apple knows that there are still loads of SE/6s devices in use, handed down to family members etc. - and I hope they’ll provide important security updates in a similar way.
My daughter has my wife's old 6s while I still use my 6s+ as a secondary phone (useful for walks or when doing activity that could damage my primary phone).

I had my 11PM replaced about a month ago and was thus using my 6s+ during that time. The Apple genius saw it and was shocked to still see a phone with a home button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.