Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Really? I mean, their newest phone model has a home button!? It was release less than three months ago.
He was handling my 11PM (shattered back glass and cracked screen) and I had my 6s+ out on the table. His exact comment was "Wow that's an old phone, still has a home button."

I mean, perhaps shocked is a bit strong of a word for that. But the fact that he made the comment and what I perceived as surprise in his voice leads me to think it shocked him a bit.

No idea what he would have said had I been using my 3GS.

Reactions: Tsepz

chikorita157

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2019
Germantown, MD
Good riddence, while iPhone SE is a good phone, it's time to let it go. It's pain in the butt trying to develop a UI and trying to have everything fit with auto layout because of the SE's small screen. With one less compact model, it makes my life easier as a developer, which I do as a hobby. Not only that, iPhone Mini 12/13 is a good alternative for those who prefer the size of the old SE.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
iPhone 12/13 mini?

Have given both of those a try in recent weeks and just a touch too big for me honestly -- especially too tall

Not 100% dealbreakers, but it lost the appeal of the size and grippability and lightweight discrete nature of the SE1 for me.

Reactions: SalisburySam

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Have given both of those a try in recent weeks and just a touch too big for me honestly -- especially too tall

Not 100% dealbreakers, but it lost the appeal of the size and grippability and lightweight discrete nature of the SE1 for me.
I get you cause I loved the 4" form factor. That said, I would suggest you start looking at either the regular iPhone or non-Max size.

I went from a 7 to a XS and now 12 Pro, and the "getting used to it" phase goes rather quickly.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Irrelevant
Works great on iOS15 and there's no reason it couldn't work on iOS16
Apple internally has chosen not to push iOS 16 on the 2016 SE. It is likely that the performance wasn't up to their standards. Even if that were not the case, the may have made the design decision to no longer design their UI elements for a four inch screen.

Sorry. It's time you upgrade.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Apple internally has chosen not to push iOS 16 on the 2016 SE. It is likely that the performance wasn't up to their standards. Even if that were not the case, the may have made the design decision to no longer design their UI elements for a four inch screen.

Sorry. It's time you upgrade.

It's not performance (we've established that based upon other similar hardware getting 16 support) .. maybe 4" screen, but it's my understanding their are some modes that still use those size classes for other devices, and devs always have to worry about things being small/cramped for accessibility anyhow.

I won't be upgrading for at least another year +

iOS 15 is running great, so it'll be up to how software support goes on the Apps I need

I recently did new batteries in all of my SE1 units and we are good to go for a while yet luckily

biracialfamily91

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2015
Queens, NY
I’m going to say that I think the ship has sailed for the 4 inch screens. The smallest your going to get is the mini and even that’s not going to last.
Maybe in the future, Apple might re-introduce the mini as a SE variant.

I think you will be okay for at least 1-2 years on the SE after that you might run into some issues. Hopefully, by then you can figure out what to purchase.

Reactions: Andeddu

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
It's not performance (we've established that based upon other similar hardware getting 16 support) .. maybe 4" screen, but it's my understanding their are some modes that still use those size classes for other devices, and devs always have to worry about things being small/cramped for accessibility anyhow.

I won't be upgrading for at least another year +

iOS 15 is running great, so it'll be up to how software support goes on the Apps I need

I recently did new batteries in all of my SE1 units and we are good to go for a while yet luckily
How can you be so sure it's not performance related? The fifth gen iPad getting it doesn't necessarily mean that the 2016 SE doesn't run into performance constraints with the new software, despite sharing the same SoC. It does, however, give some additional credence to the idea that Apple is no longer designing their software for iPhones with 4 inch screen sizes.

Good luck on your future upgrade.

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2022
Good riddence, while iPhone SE is a good phone, it's time to let it go. It's pain in the butt trying to develop a UI and trying to have everything fit with auto layout because of the SE's small screen. With one less compact model, it makes my life easier as a developer, which I do as a hobby. Not only that, iPhone Mini 12/13 is a good alternative for those who prefer the size of the old SE.

It's time for millions of people who bought SE1's (for very specific reasons) to stop using them and possibly purchase a 12/13 Mini that merely approximates it all so it makes your "life" as a developer - which you do as a hobby - easier.

No wonder people hate millennials.

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2022
I got a 12 mini after my original SE was stolen. It’s OK. Lots of things are nice about it, but the perfect size and the headphone jack is so tempting, I’ve had half a mind to sell my 12 mini and get another one and pocket the difference.

I briefly had a 12 Mini last year. Solid phone but returned it due to the OLED screen flicker and saturated colors.

Currently on my third SE1 Space Gray since 2016, which I bought brand new sealed a few months ago. A 2017 model, still sealed in its original packaging. I updated it to 15, original battery capacity reads 100% after 5 years sitting. And many wonder why SE1 is magical.

The design, the size, the clear LCD screen, the home button, and the headphone jack (which sounds better than lightning btw)... nothing like it.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Right on.

Using them in rotation or to collect?

I have one super primary, one that is sort of a backup primary (always kept mostly the same as #1 - maybe use when testing out a different cell service, etc), two that I keep on iOS 14 for checkra1n jailbreak (specific use cases for location changing and watching sports during the year) and one additional one that I recently acquired because it was so cheap $40 - mint

Reactions: 0291782

JoeG629

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2015
I really liked my SE1. Size was perfect. Replaced it a week ago with the SE3. Besides being bigger, I don't notice it doing anything the SE1 couldn't do. Since I don't use it for games or movies there's no real need for a super fast chip.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I sent my phone in for battery replacement so I've been daily driving my backup phone, an iPhone SE 2016 currently on iOS 14. It still feels decent, especially for 2015 hardware. The good part of no iOS 16 is that it won't get any slower. There were a few lags but it's still useable. Nothing like an older iPhone 4 or 4s.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
He was handling my 11PM (shattered back glass and cracked screen) and I had my 6s+ out on the table. His exact comment was "Wow that's an old phone, still has a home button."

I mean, perhaps shocked is a bit strong of a word for that. But the fact that he made the comment and what I perceived as surprise in his voice leads me to think it shocked him a bit.

He probably has the same reaction when people rock up with a SE 2020 or 2022 🤣
Apple Genuises and even “genuises” in 3rd party Apple retailer stores can be so weird, judgemental and off putting at times and then others are super friendly and humble. You never know what you’ll get.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
At least for Mac, there is an excuse about driver support from vendors like Qualcomm and Intel hardware vulnerabilities.

iPadOS 16 support for A9 but not for iPhone doesn't make any sense.
No, Apple has supported weaker MacBook 2009 while the MacBook Pro with the same hardware was dropped on High Sierra and there are countless of examples.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

Yeah, I can't imagine a Genius being shocked by a Home button, considering there are not only SE1, SE2, and SE3s out there, but 6, 6s, 7, and 8 (in regular and plus sizes), all iPod touches, and most iPads. The older one of those things gets, the greater the likelihood they'll be coming in for service of one kind or another, so I'd wager that Genius services a dozen or more Home button-equipped devices daily.

Methinks he was trying to crack a joke (and failed). It's so much easier to tell when someone's joking on the internet - at least you can see the /s ;-)

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Methinks he was trying to crack a joke (and failed). It's so much easier to tell when someone's joking on the internet - at least you can see the /s ;-)
That never occurred to me. I tend to take people literally and can be quite obtuse. Yeah, I've been the guy in the group standing there with the confused expression on his face while everyone else got it and are laughing.

SMH. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.