Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
got a query about "loved" songs and playlists.
i've came across from YT/Google Music to Apple Music.

any time i gave a track a "thumbs up" on YT/Google music it was automatically added to a "Your Likes" playlist.
however, from what i can see Apple Music has no equivalent of this? whenever i "love" a track it doesn't seem to do anything other than help the algorithm to suggest other tracks i might like.

is there no equivalent of this in Apple Music?
i use Apple Music solely on my iPhone (and Car Play).

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
2 taps to "Love" a song, 3 taps to add a song to a playlist. Not THAT impossible or much more cumbersome to do. ?‍♂️

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
2 taps to "Love" a song, 3 taps to add a song to a playlist. Not THAT impossible or much more cumbersome to do. ?‍♂️
Not the point though is it when other services provide the same functionality with one tap.

I'm happy to say when Apple gets it right like with lossless, but equally happy to say when they get it wrong in instances like this when it's something that could be easily implemented on their end.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK

2 taps to "love" a song? surely it's just 1 tap of the "love" icon, what does the second tap do?

and is the "3 taps to add to playlist" documented anywhere? and where do you tap? anywhere on the screen? on the "love" icon? the back of your head?

are you you referring to navigating to the sub-menu where the "add to playlist" option resides? if that's what you mean then it's hardly relevent to the point of the thread? no-one said it wasn't possible to add a track to a playlist, it was that "loved" tracks aren't automatically added to a "loved tracks" playlist.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
2 taps to "love" a song? surely it's just 1 tap of the "love" icon, what does the second tap do?

and is the "3 taps to add to playlist" documented anywhere? and where do you tap? anywhere on the screen? on the "love" icon? the back of your head?

are you you referring to navigating to the sub-menu where the "add to playlist" option resides? if that's what you mean then it's hardly relevent to the point of the thread? no-one said it wasn't possible to add a track to a playlist, it was that "loved" tracks aren't automatically added to a "loved tracks" playlist.
So you're on a Mac? Then why not just create a smart playlist?

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Then please show me, where I can find the "Love" icon in the Music app. The app on my phone (or iPad) doesn't show this. Is it a hidden feature?

clearly you don't use the apple music app on an iOS device, otherwise you would clealy know where the "love" option is.
it's in a few places, images below shows 2 of those places, to enlighten you.

IMG_0751.PNG
IMG_0752.PNG

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Enable star ratings in settings and start rating your songs with stars instead of a single heart. You will then have a playlist "My top rated"

that's more of a workaround than a solution, and not something i'm going to start doing.
however, if apple can do it for "ratings" then no reason why they can't do it for "loved" tracks.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
that's more of a workaround than a solution, and not something i'm going to start doing.
however, if apple can do it for "ratings" then no reason why they can't do it for "loved" tracks.
It is a perfect solution not a workaround. I am sure you love some songs more than others, try expressing it with a single love icon - you can't. That's why star rating is there from 1 to 5 to express how much you love a song.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
It is a perfect solution not a workaround. I am sure you love some songs more than others, try expressing it with a single love icon - you can't. That's why star rating is there from 1 to 5 to express how much you love a song.

it's not a solution for me, maybe it is for you.
i'm not interested in rating every song from 1 to 5, maybe you have the time for that, i don't.

Gotgi

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2021
You should try out the app Miximum.
It allows you to create a playlist with just your "loved" tracks. And many many more options.
For me it's the perfect 'add-on' for Apple Music. You should give it a try.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
clearly you don't use the apple music app on an iOS device, otherwise you would clealy know where the "love" option is.
it's in a few places, images below shows 2 of those places, to enlighten you.

View attachment 1931753 View attachment 1931754
Now THAT'S pure Macrumors comedy gold! ?
I said you need two taps to "love" a song, then you act like some smarty pants claiming it's just one tap and in the end, YOU post a comment with screenshot, confirming I was right all along and it is, infact, 2 taps to "love" a song. ????
But yes: I don't use the Music app.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
But yes: I don't use the Music app.

maybe you shouldn't contribute to a thread about apple music then.
strange that say you have no idea where the "love" option is in the app and that your "app" doesn't showit, yet seem to know to how many taps it takes to get to it.

have a great day but maybe best to impose your wisdom elsewhere.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
You should try out the app Miximum.
It allows you to create a playlist with just your "loved" tracks. And many many more options.
For me it's the perfect 'add-on' for Apple Music. You should give it a try.

that kind of misses the point of the thread though?
yeah we could all use third party apps to do things, but really the native app should do this itself - especially when just about every other streaming service does it.

if i was wanting to use another app to do this i might as well just not use apple music at all, and just use a service that is able to do it itself.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
maybe you shouldn't contribute to a thread about apple music then.
strange that say you have no idea where the "love" option is in the app and that your "app" doesn't showit, yet seem to know to how many taps it takes to get to it.

have a great day but maybe best to impose your wisdom elsewhere.
Boy, just admit you're wrong and it takes two taps to "love" a song. ? You even proved it yourself with your screenshots.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Boy, just admit you're wrong and it takes two taps to "love" a song. ? You even proved it yourself with your screenshots.

only after you clarify how to can both have no knowledge of a "love" icon with the apple music app (going so far as saying it doesn't exist in the app you have installed) yet knowing how many taps it takes to get to that icon - all while never using the apple music app.

being pedantic, it takes 1 tap to "love" a track, by single tapping the "love" icon.
if you are including every tap, then you need to tap the screen to wake it up (or press the power button), tap the apple music icon (more taps if it's in a folder or on another screen), tap the menu, tap the icon - so way more than the 2 that you mentioned even though you don't use the app and have never seen the "love" icon anywhere in the app.

fee free to tie yourself in more knots - it's quite funny ?

either way, enjoy the rest of your day.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
only after you clarify how to can both have no knowledge of a "love" icon with the apple music app (going so far as saying it doesn't exist in the app you have installed) yet knowing how many taps it takes to get to that icon - all while never using the apple music app.

being pedantic, it takes 1 tap to "love" a track, by single tapping the "love" icon.
if you are including every tap, then you need to tap the screen to wake it up (or press the power button), tap the apple music icon (more taps if it's in a folder or on another screen), tap the menu, tap the icon - so way more than the 2 that you mentioned even though you don't use the app and have never seen the "love" icon anywhere in the app.

fee free to tie yourself in more knots - it's quite funny ?

either way, enjoy the rest of your day.
I hope you're just acting dumb on purpose. ? As for me, I'm out of this. Bye!

Gotgi

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2021
that kind of misses the point of the thread though?
yeah we could all use third party apps to do things, but really the native app should do this itself - especially when just about every other streaming service does it.

if i was wanting to use another app to do this i might as well just not use apple music at all, and just use a service that is able to do it itself.
After you started the playlist from Miximum you can switch back to the Apple Music app and all the songs are there. But I guess that's already too many clicks for you. Can't help you out here obviously. Best of luck and happy holidays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.