Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Anyone getting this title?

It seemed boring to me at first but the fact that it does have some space battles thrown in seems kinda interesting.

I thought it was online/download only but was mistaken to find out it is "procedurally generated" and you simply access the database for the space map of who has been to that planet before.

Just don't know about this one...

Available for PC too, but not XBox One? :eek:

VR VERSION discussed in the VR Forum here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-no-mans-sky-vr-thread.2188162/

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Getting it but I don't know when. I want to see how it plays first, and that it can continue being interesting.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I honestly don't get all the hype surrounding this game, but I'm curious to see how well it's received once finally released.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It looks interesting, but it seems news coming out, is that its been delayed, so no June rollout.

I've not heard of this game before I saw this thread, but from my googling it does look cool. I don't know if this an online came or has single player mode.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
It looks interesting, but it seems news coming out, is that its been delayed, so no June rollout.

I've not heard of this game before I saw this thread, but from my googling it does look cool. I don't know if this an online came or has single player mode.

It is "procedurally generated" so everyone will get the same "random" planets, the only online component is updating their central database as to who is on/discovered what star system/planets.

You can totally play off-line but you won't get any updates as to who discovered what or that you discovered certain planets.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
the only online component is updating their central database as to who is on/discovered what star system/planets.
Great, I thought it might have been something like Destiny, which is all online

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

Now August/September (people are saying "if at all").

Really, how much fun can just running around the universe exploring planets be? No missions, no interacting with others if you want to... :eek:

You start to wonder on these games - I bought Battleborn (at least the Gamestop Edition) for $60 but had $20 in coupons. I've only been able to play it twice since I bought it (played it a bunch of times in Open Beta), but it really comes to just being a FPS shooter...

3 weeks later the price drops to the $40....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If they were prepping for a June launch and were so close to the release that they sent out the promotional material to the stores, I have to believe they came across some issues in the 11th hour that needed attention. I think pushing it back to late summer is ok, but any later and then you lose the Christmas season as well.

I think since they were so close that they'll release it. I think this game has some cool open ended stuff like Fallout 4, so watching the promotional videos I'm now an eager person wanting to get it

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
If they were prepping for a June launch and were so close to the release that they sent out the promotional material to the stores, I have to believe they came across some issues in the 11th hour that needed attention. I think pushing it back to late summer is ok, but any later and then you lose the Christmas season as well.

I think since they were so close that they'll release it. I think this game has some cool open ended stuff like Fallout 4, so watching the promotional videos I'm now an eager person wanting to get it

Here's what I'm banking on:

- People buy it at $60 because it is a great "exploration" game.
- People find out it is more fun doing missions and meeting up with others online if you choose - word gets out.
- Price drops 3 weeks later to $40 (like Quantum Break and Battleborn) - people still don't buy.
- People get board "simply exploring" planets of mainly trees and rocks - the flood of trade-ins start.
- Gamestop sells them used for $20, just a after a month after launch.
- I pick up a copy...

(did I say I was upset about purchasing Battleborn on launch for $60? :eek:)

;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
did I say I was upset about purchasing Battleborn on launch for $60?
I never look back, if I opt to pay 60 dollars for a game, and the price goes down later, it doesn't bother me (provided I enjoy the game).

Take Doom, I paid full price for that game, and to be honest, its not worth that price. I'm largely disappointed with it, but since I decided to pay full price, that's on me. If the price goes down later, so be it, that's life

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I never look back, if I opt to pay 60 dollars for a game, and the price goes down later, it doesn't bother me (provided I enjoy the game).

Take Doom, I paid full price for that game, and to be honest, its not worth that price. I'm largely disappointed with it, but since I decided to pay full price, that's on me. If the price goes down later, so be it, that's life

I need the latest in greatest in my tech such as phones, laptops, etc. I am the complete opposite in video games as my backlog is tremendous and I only buy games now from the games with gold service, have more than a 50% off original price, and something that actually interests me.

I hated paying $60 for new games and hating them or their replay value stunk and trade ins/exchanges were bad.

But I get it and don't blame you!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But I get it and don't blame you!
Its all about value.

Take Fallout 4, its by far my favorite game on the PS4. It was well worth the price I paid, and its given me hours upon hours of enjoyment. On the flip side, there's Doom, where I had high hopes. Yes, I'm guilty of leaping before looking in this case, but given the pedigree of the prior games and Bethesda, it was a no brainer. Yet with that said, I'm underwhelmed by that game.

I tend to wait for for the prices to come down, unless its a game that I'm truly anxious to play. Fallout 4, and Doom both fall into that category. No Mans Sky looks interesting and I may jump on that, though without specific quests (if I understand the concept of the game), I do wonder how much the game will grab me.

There's a few more games in the pipeline that I'm looking forward too, and I may drop 60 bucks on them.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

At least I used the $20 coupon for Battleborn, and I was afraid that Gamestop was going to run out of their exclusive figure bundle (even though more had shown up with the sale).

I do understand 3 months for a price drop, but 3 weeks? (I guess Quantum Break wasn't all that great).

I did get Doom at launch but only because Gamestop had a deal with 50% more for your games, and I was able to get all my money back on some old Nintendo games I had bought used. I computed that if I wait and there's no more trade in deal, I would need to wait and get Doom when it is $40. I decided that I wanted to play right away (I really like it). I don't think Doom will be going down in price very soon...

My point, especially with No Man's Sky, is that if people don't really like it, the precedence is now a game will drop in price within a few weeks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Pre-ordered a long long long long time ago (in a galaxy far far away ...)
I may pre-order from Amazon, as it seems if I do that, I get an upgraded ship with a hyper drive. The implication is that you start off the game without the ability to easily travel between stars.

Reactions: MRU

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

Doom is on sale everywhere for $40 - like 4 weeks later?

At least Gamestop gave me 50% more for the trade-ins towards it at launch.

It doesn't seem to be the 2 - 3 months the initial price drop used to take.

So, I'm hoping No Mans Sky drops to $30 within the first month when people actually start playing it and deciding whether or not this sort of game works...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Doom is on sale everywhere for $40 - like 4 weeks later?
Ok, but I don't get worked up over that.

So, I'm hoping No Mans Sky drops to $30 within the first month
I'm not sure you'll see a 50% reduction in price.

Its all about value, and if I find that I'm getting value for my 60 bucks, then I don't care what the future will bring regarding the price. True, I can pay less, but you can make that argument about anything. I can wait a year and buy a prior generation MBP for less then (after they update the line). I know 4 weeks is not 52 weeks, but my point is, that if you want a game and are willing to pay 60 bucks, then it shouldn't bother you that the price is reduced a month or two later. If you can wait the 4 to 8 weeks, then that's great and I'll never knock anyone for looking to save money.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Ok, but I don't get worked up over that.

I'm not sure you'll see a 50% reduction in price.

Its all about value, and if I find that I'm getting value for my 60 bucks, then I don't care what the future will bring regarding the price. True, I can pay less, but you can make that argument about anything. I can wait a year and buy a prior generation MBP for less then (after they update the line). I know 4 weeks is not 52 weeks, but my point is, that if you want a game and are willing to pay 60 bucks, then it shouldn't bother you that the price is reduced a month or two later. If you can wait the 4 to 8 weeks, then that's great and I'll never knock anyone for looking to save money.

You are right - for those of us with not much time to play these games, it is worth the 3-4 week wait instead of buying it at launch and only playing a few times within that month...

the batman

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
a sandbox set in space, color me intrigued. and for me, 30 dollars or 60 dollars, as long as the game is good, the value is there

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
as long as the game is good, the value is there
Yeah, I pre-ordered this off Amazon. Being a prime member saved me some money and the preorder gives me a bit of a headstart it seems, so I'm happy about that.

the batman

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
Yeah, I pre-ordered this off Amazon. Being a prime member saved me some money and the preorder gives me a bit of a headstart it seems, so I'm happy about that.
got to love that prime, yo! i seem to only buy things from the playstation store as a digital download, so shipping won't be an issue for me either

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA

Yes, I meant to get this earlier...supporting games like this that don't get made that much nowadays is important, to me at least.

I'm going to get it off GOG, they seem to have a different ship, but about the same? Anyway, I have a bunch of games on GOG now (switching from Steam as much as I can), and it is easier for me to have all my games in one place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.