Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I have NMS preordered for PS4. I do wonder if it has much staying power, because although the sandbox is the largest we've ever experienced, the scope of the game appears to only be an inch deep. The social aspect of the game seems severely limiting since it sounds like we're likely to never run into our friends. Still, I'm holding out some hope.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It will either turn out to be the most underwhelming and disappointing highly anticipated game ever, or a gem ...

Whilst I hope for a gem, if I was betting man, I'd wager my money sadly on mediocrity .

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Whilst I hope for a gem,
I'm anxious for the game, but I also have a low expectation. I'm not expecting this to be on par to Fallout 4, but I think it will offer a richness that I'm looking for.

Reactions: MRU

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
It will either turn out to be the most underwhelming and disappointing highly anticipated game ever, or a gem ...

Whilst I hope for a gem, if I was betting man, I'd wager my money sadly on mediocrity .

I think gem for those that LIKE this type of game.

I do like the fact you don't need the Internet to play. So many games nowadays require it.

I'm just wondering how far you'll go before getting board of visiting planets with varying rocks and trees... :eek:

Maybe it is just an "exploration game" (like that forestry game that is so popular right now?) is what is more needed...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm truly hoping Gem as I love exploration games. I just think when a game has so much expectation on its shoulders and its from a small studio, that's a hell of a lot of weight to bare and more often than not, those expectations could never be realised ...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I'm truly hoping Gem as I love exploration games. I just think when a game has so much expectation on its shoulders and its from a small studio, that's a hell of a lot of weight to bare and more often than not, those expectations could never be realised ...

They must have backing from Sony as it is a PS4 console exclusive (just walk into any Gamestop). Why that I don't know. They're probably would've been better off making it available on XBox One as a "play anywhere" title (you get the PC version as well) and possibly work with Nintendo as an NX release (since you don't really need Internet, you can take it with you if the NX controller is also a remote stand-alone gaming device).

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They must have backing from Sony as it is a PS4 console exclusive (just walk into any Gamestop). Why that I don't know. They're probably would've been better off making it available on XBox One as a "play anywhere" title (you get the PC version as well) and possibly work with Nintendo as an NX release (since you don't really need Internet, you can take it with you if the NX controller is also a remote stand-alone gameing device).
Oh they defiantly have financial backing, they wouldn't be able to take as much time as they have, but I think comparatively to other game budgets were talking very small here that steamrolling the game is win win for Sony even if it doesn't live up to the high expectations. I'm sure the developer would never have got the exposure they have received without Sony so it's definitely mutually beneficial. But from what Sean was saying in interviews the development team is still tiny compared to most Studios.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I think Sony financially backed up their marketing big time. At least that's what I read sometime ago.

Hope you people can enjoy it, I'm not even thinking about getting it (I think you can buy it for PC). I'd be bored at the second planet if not way before that. It looks like a pretty one-trick pony to me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Oh they defiantly have financial backing
I agree, I don't think a startup could produce something so encompassing, and have such a fully developed and funded marketing strategy. They needed to have some help money wise, if not marketing as well.

Either way, I think that's a win for all of us, as they could produce the game that they envisioned. As we progress through the month of July, I get more excited for this game :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
up until you put the disc in and a large day-on-update is required
That's no different then anyone else. Heck, even Microsoft had a large update waiting for you if you upgraded to windows 10 as soon as it was released. That's just the nature of the beast.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I am cautiously interested in this title. I do like exploring games. Part of what I love about Minecraft is to just go and see what is beyond that range of mountains over there. But at this point I haven't really seen what you can do in NMS beyond finding and naming things. Gather resources, I guess?

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I am cautiously interested in this title. I do like exploring games. Part of what I love about Minecraft is to just go and see what is beyond that range of mountains over there. But at this point I haven't really seen what you can do in NMS beyond finding and naming things. Gather resources, I guess?

That's my only real concern with the game -- if it's just limited to that, then it won't be long before everyone stops playing, I'd think. Due to the size of the game's universe, it's highly unlikely players would find a way to meet up with their friends.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
That's my only real concern with the game -- if it's just limited to that, then it won't be long before everyone stops playing, I'd think. Due to the size of the game's universe, it's highly unlikely players would find a way to meet up with their friends.

That's the point - you don't need anyone playing. It is a massive universe for you just to explore. So it doesn't matter who else is or isn't playing...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's the point - you don't need anyone playing. It is a massive universe for you just to explore. So it doesn't matter who else is or isn't playing...
That's the one thing I like about the game. I'm not into MMO/online playing. Its not something I like, so while I was initially hesitant regarding the game, I'm on board with it now :)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I also like exploring on my own. I'll be perfectly happy if I never meet another player in NMS. ;)

I just hope there is more to do than finding and naming things. Looking at randomly generated planets and naming randomly generated animals will likely get old pretty fast. Gathering enough resources to fly to the next planet could turn into a "rinse, repeat" kind of routine.

As always, I will rely on you fine people to tell me if this is worth buying! :)

Reactions: maflynn

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm getting less and less excited for this games. I think some 100% reviews would get me hyped, otherwise it's going to be a "wait for PS Plus" type deal.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just hope there is more to do than finding and naming things.
Agreed, I like what Fallout has done with the DLC, and there's enough to keep doing after finishing the main quest. With this game not have a main quest, I am hoping there are other tasks or activities to keep me engaged.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
There's still a lot I don't know about this game...like specifically, with no multiple saves/only one save slot, how exactly does it work in different situations, like if your ship crashes or you are attacked, etc.

Since it usually takes me quite a while to adapt to controls & different combat schemes, I just want to get a sense of the frustration level, since I can't just go back to one of multiple save slots.

Honestly, at this point, if I want to sink a ton of time into a space game, I would just get Kerbal Space Program for the Wii U when it comes out -- which I'm going to do anyway, no matter what.

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
Honestly, I'm feeling pretty 'meh' about this one. It's a cool idea, but at the same time:

You won't really be able to leave a physical mark on the game, however, at least not on the universe at large. As you travel to new planets, they are generated around you, and when you leave them, they degenerate. So, if you use a mining tool to blast a section of a planet, perhaps to draw a giant p*nis on the ground (I will just assume that is what you will do), once you leave that planet and fly away, the game will once again disassemble the planet behind you.
http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-10-burning-questions-answered/

So while you get to name a creature or planet, it's going to look different for the next person that visits, or possibly even for you when you return. Unless I'm just not understanding the procedurely created concept.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
If it did leave whatever mark you had left, I'd think that would be a huge strain on their backend servers. I'll just take it for what it is at this point... which we still don't know much about, unfortunately.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
If it did leave whatever mark you had left, I'd think that would be a huge strain on their backend servers. I'll just take it for what it is at this point... which we still don't know much about, unfortunately.
Honestly, I'm feeling pretty 'meh' about this one. It's a cool idea, but at the same time:

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-10-burning-questions-answered/

So while you get to name a creature or planet, it's going to look different for the next person that visits, or possibly even for you when you return. Unless I'm just not understanding the procedurely created concept.

Yeah, the server is only going to keep track of who discovered and visited what planet. I guess "the procedure" will generate what is on the planet (which is supposed to be the same for each player because of the "seed number") but I guess a planet has the ability to "evolve" to something slightly different on a different machine.

So, here's another one that has popped up, "Dual Universe" though it looks like it is only for PC:

http://www.dualthegame.com

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Yeah, the server is only going to keep track of who discovered and visited what planet. I guess "the procedure" will generate what is on the planet (which is supposed to be the same for each player because of the "seed number") but I guess a planet has the ability to "evolve" to something slightly different on a different machine.

So, here's another one that has popped up, "Dual Universe" though it looks like it is only for PC:

http://www.dualthegame.com

Dual Universe seems pretty cool. Hard to tell how the game will play from the video but it looks like they're focusing on traveling around to different planets.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Dual Universe seems pretty cool. Hard to tell how the game will play from the video but it looks like they're focusing on traveling around to different planets.

I guess Sony(?) released a few videos showing the different types of gameplay in No Man's Sky. This is their "FIGHT" one:

Looking at all the different ones out there (especially now that I've build a PC that can handle these Space Games), I'm more into "Space Shooters". Not flying around looking at planets, not having to find a weapons dealer to upgrade my weapons (Star Citizen), just fly around and shoot things (Everspace).

Maybe Sony is trying to alleviate any rumors that all you do is go down to planets and look around? Seems like Sony has a lot riding on this game as it is an exclusive to their console. The publishers could have easily ported their Windows 10 version to run on XBox One... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.