Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacWhispers posts a speculative article based on their information. According to the site, the new iPods will continue to have the chrome back -- as it appears production of those are ongoing... but they feel the button-design originally posted by ThinkSecret are unlikely to appear.

MacWhispers did first mention a dual USB/Firewire cable that was being manufactured for Apple -- which would fit in with the USB/Firewire Dock rumor associated with ThinkSecret's story.

Of note, SpyMac first hinted at an iPod dock in September 2002... and claimed it was due in Q1 2003.

In another discrepancy, MacWhispers reports that the 30gig Toshiba drive is "only being produced as a PC-Card version" -- which would suggest against a 10GB, 15GB, and 30GB sizing of iPods.

damax452

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
h0pe

I hope macwhiaspers is right, the current ipod design is too perfect to discard. And i want to see 10,20,40gb ipods too, 15 and 30 are wierd. And i like the ipod chrome back, keep in mind that the metal back is probably there for cooling purposes so it most likely has to be some kind of metal, not necessarily polished SS though.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Flowbee
Maybe it's time for PAGE 3: iPOD RUMORS ;)

I second this proposition. :) Whatever happens, a lot of people will just be flat out wrong-there have so many conflicting reports, someone needs to be wrong.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
with any luck, they'll keep the groovy chrome backing, but i am still curious to see if apple can outdo themselves on the interface design.

i wonder what the chances are that we'll see a 40 GB iPod instead of the more heavily rumored 30?

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
i kind of hope that the new ipods wont have the chrome back on them. so then there wont be fingerprints all on the chrome.

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
personally

Personally, I don't like the chrome. It just looks out of place to me (I don't have one, always drooling over my friends' ones). I know this will cause people to flip tables over with rage, but I think they should ditch the chrome and go all white plastic. But that's just my personal pref. Sorta like how I think all the brushed metal apps look goofy compared to the candy prefs pane.

-p

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Re: personally

Originally posted by psxndc
Personally, I don't like the chrome. It just looks out of place to me (I don't have one, always drooling over my friends' ones). I know this will cause people to flip tables over with rage, but I think they should ditch the chrome and go all white plastic. But that's just my personal pref. Sorta like how I think all the brushed metal apps look goofy compared to the candy prefs pane.

-p

*flips table over in rage*

I understand what all the all plastic folks are saying with regards to fingerprints and scratches and whatnot, but the chrome just looks so pretty. :)

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Re: Re: personally

Originally posted by wsteineker
*flips table over in rage*

I understand what all the all plastic folks are saying with regards to fingerprints and scratches and whatnot, but the chrome just looks so pretty. :)
for about a week of normal use. then it looks all scratched and nappy :(

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
This is absurd

People who complain about the chrome iPod back are driving me nuts! Would you really rather have an unscratched piece of PLASTIC, or a scratched up piece of chrome?

I, for one, would take the scratched up piece of chrome anyday. It just looks used - but still very cool.

You use it, it ages, it looks aged. That's the natural cycle of things. You don't see people shunning blue jeans becuase they don't keep their "new" look, do you?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: This is absurd

Originally posted by mstecker
People who complain about the chrome iPod back are driving me nuts! Would you really rather have an unscratched piece of PLASTIC, or a scratched up piece of chrome?

I, for one, would take the scratched up piece of chrome anyday. It just looks used - but still very cool.

You use it, it ages, it looks aged. That's the natural cycle of things. You don't see people shunning blue jeans becuase they don't keep their "new" look, do you?
a plastic back would scratch also. i have a power adaptor for my laptop. i bet it gets comparable usage to an iPod in a backpack. pocket of an active person. it is indeed scratched. if you don't want scratches, you have to take good care of stuff.

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Ok, so i've been thinking about this. My Zippo is chrome, and it looks fine with the scratches on it. Not like new, but it's got a bit of character to it. Almost like what silver does as it ages (patina). I far prefer it to the old Bic on my desk with all of its scratches. The chrome just looks and feels better.

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
Indigo jeans and chrome

You don't see people shunning blue jeans becuase they don't keep their "new" look, do you?

Actually a lot of the "blue" (indigo) jeans I see people wearing these days would look terrible if they were broken in and thus I doubt people would wear them. :)

Secondly, what I don't like about the chrome is that it just looks out of place. It's like "oh, here's all this nice white plastic. Plastic dial, plastic buttons, plastic case and AGGGHHH my eyes! Blinded by the chrome!"

It just reminds me of an oversized spoiler on a Honda Civic. I guess it looks cool, but it also just looks... out of place.

Again, these are my prefs. I don't expect others to feel the same way.

-p

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Re: This is absurd

Originally posted by mstecker

Mine doesn't look used, it looks nasty, filthy, greasy and ugly. The iPod is simply unable to be handled by human hands with the chrome backing. I'd like to see aluminum at the least.

The chrome sucks, I will upgrade but if it remains chrome I'll be looking for a case.

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Re: Re: This is absurd

Originally posted by MorganX
Mine doesn't look used, it looks nasty, filthy, greasy and ugly. The iPod is simply unable to be handled by human hands with the chrome backing. I'd like to see aluminum at the least.

The chrome sucks, I will upgrade but if it remains chrome I'll be looking for a case.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. I'd settle for brushed aluminum on the back of an iPod.

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
Re: Re: Re: This is absurd

Originally posted by wsteineker
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. I'd settle for brushed aluminum on the back of an iPod.

What about that metal that's in Wolverine's body? Adamantium? That would be cool to have on the back of an iPod. Even better would be to move the whole Powerbook line to that - I don't know how heavy it is though.

On another note - I think this story is interesting simply because MacWhispers has pitted itself against ThinkSecret. Two rumor sites - in the end, only one can win the love of the mac rumor community! Who will win?

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Re: Re: Re: Re: This is absurd

Originally posted by bentmywookie
What about that metal that's in Wolverine's body? Adamantium? That would be cool to have on the back of an iPod. Even better would be to move the whole Powerbook line to that - I don't know how heavy it is though.

That's damn funny! How about a depleted uranium caseback? It's super strong and can be used as a weapon in case of enemy invasion! ;)

On another note - I think this story is interesting simply because MacWhispers has pitted itself against ThinkSecret. Two rumor sites - in the end, only one can win the love of the mac rumor community! Who will win?

Very true. I think it's safe to say that MacWhispers has a lot more to lose here. It'll be interesting to see who's right. :)

Cowboy Dan

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2003
San Diego
I really hope that Apple doesn't do anything along the lines of ThinkSecret's drawing. The current interface is just about perfect. I wonder, however, if Apple might introduce some red, yellow, and green led buttons somewhere...as many have noted that recent OSX updates have changed the window buttons in metal windows so that they look embedded in the brushed aluminum. I doubt that the next iPod would implement this, but who knows? Anyone? Does anyone know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.