Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GabeJacobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Hey everyone

After installing Yosemite sound completely fails on my machine. iTunes can't play songs, error occurs when I try to quick look an mp3, loading the sound panel in system preferences causes a crash.

Anyone with this problem? Any ideas?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
In case this thread gets pinned:

Solutions:

Remove "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/InstantOn.driver"

if problem persists or you don't have this Plug-In:

Try opening Audio/MIDI setup, right-click built-in Output / Headphones and select Use This Device For Sound Output

Last edited:

ShootingStarPho

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
Sound?! Oh no!

I would like to add that I also have no audio available in my MacBook Pro (Late 2013, dGPU).

I had 10.9.3 beta installed previously and updated via the Developer centre with a redemption code.

Is there any update for this issue?

This is particularly devastating for me. I hope this is resolved soon!

GabeJacobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
I would like to add that I also have no audio available in my MacBook Pro (Late 2013, dGPU).

I had 10.9.3 beta installed previously and updated via the Developer centre with a redemption code.

Is there any update for this issue?

This is particularly devastating for me. I hope this is resolved soon!

Yeah this is killing me too.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Not trying to brag, just throwing this out there for others to compare with specific hardware/software configurations. I am on a 2013" 11" Air. I did an upgrade from the last developer 10.9.3 release. I can play audio just fine. Listening to Pet Shop Boys in iTunes as I type. Also, YouTube works fine as well.

Last edited:

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I don't have any problems with audio either, but I am going to revert to 10.9.3 anyways until later developer previews are released. It just seems really laggy on my Retina Macbook Pro right now.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Same here. I get no sound on my 27-in iMac, 2013.

Plus, a lot of hangs. I have a hard time playing videos with VLC, cannot open what I want in System Preferences, cannot listen to music, Safari is half-assed ...

But hey, it's an open public beta. At least I am a developer, but this OS is un-usable, even for developing purposes.

fheusel

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Had the same problem, caused by the "Instant On" extension Rogue Amoebas "Airfoil". I simply removed the "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/InstantOn.driver", rebooted and everything was fine again ;-)

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Had the same problem, caused by the "Instant On" extension Rogue Amoebas "Airfoil". I simply removed the "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/InstantOn.driver", rebooted and everything was fine again ;-)

............. this, my friend, is Wizardry. This alone made the entire OS snappier x1000.

I didn't even know I had that installed.

imandings

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Australia

............. this, my friend, is Wizardry. This alone made the entire OS snappier x1000.

I didn't even know I had that installed.

Me too... worked a treat! Thanks guys!

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Was just about to say the same thing. Didn't even need to restart. Just renamed my /Library/Audio to /Library/Audio.old and it started working pretty much straight away.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Let me add my thanks to fheusel - I have no idea how that was tracked down but it has done wonders.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
Quite surprising, when I installed it and read through API changes, there is much going on in CoreAudio and the AV API a lot of changes and added features but sound is working fine on my 2011 MBP. I even installed 3rd party drivers for a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 which is working flawlessly.

But I have to say it was a clean install on another drive.

soundslikeaudio

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
As an audio engineer, I'm very excited about some of the CoreAudio changes, and I'm hoping Avid gets Pro Tools up and running on Yosemite quickly, once the issues are sorted out.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
This thread and solution should be pinned. I've noticed a lot of people in this forum having this problem, and having no clue how to fix it. It's really frustrating because it makes the whole computer un-usable.

hachikosan

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2014
still looking for iTunes fix to problem as described within .....

when I finally get system reference to respond: under sound, the select a device for a sound output is BLANK ... " no output device found" ?????

output volume is muted and I can not unmet it ?

I have tried: PRAM, SMC, remove entries in library, safe boot, re-install 10.10 P2 ...

Sent apple bug report. (I am not expecting an answer) ....

"/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/InstantOn.driver" ..... no such entry ....

So, not a show stopper BUT, technically what is going on ?

PLEASE: no lectures about alpha/beta/backup..... yada yada ....

Has anybody identified the problem and found a solution..... ? ... if what is it.

Last edited:

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
when I finally get system reference to respond: under sound, the select a device for a sound output is BLANK ... " no output device found" ?????

output volume is muted and I can not unmet it ?

I have tried: PRAM, SMC, remove entries in library, safe boot, re-install 10.10 P2 ...

Sent apple bug report. (I am not expecting an answer) ....

"/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/InstantOn.driver" ..... no such entry ....

So, not a show stopper BUT, technically what is going on ?

PLEASE: no lectures about alpha/beta/backup..... yada yada ....

Has anybody identified the problem and found a solution..... ? ... if what is it.
Try opening Audio/MIDI setup, right-click built-in Output / Headphones and select Use This Device For Sound Output

hachikosan

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2014
Thanks ErikGrim .... broken iTunes or OS X 10.10 ????

great post!!!!!!

Thanks.

Fixed problem.

Recreated problem: then went into library/pref....s/audio/delete all contents/ ... rebooted ALL good.....

so there are two ways to fix problem.

I recreated the problem by going back to 10.9.3 ..... upgraded to 10.10 .....

RANT ALERT: .... it amazes me that with nearly 100 years of computer science and engineering with us ... we still have the capacity to created brain dead software code....... the grand masters are the boys in Seattle. Cupertino is beyond that. So, guys, fix iTunes.

Why hide Audio midi app ? .....

:(

Highlander32

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Solved More than Sound Issue

Once I removed the InstantOn.driver it fixed a variety of issues I faced:

• no sound (no output device) in System Prefs /Sound
  • all internet browsers (Safari, Firefox, Chrome) were hanging forever loading a variety of sites and/or 'not responding'
  • System Preferences froze and/or 'not responding' frequently

Kudos for the solution. Amazing it impacted so much.

I second that this should be pinned!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.