Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meckanix

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
Mine was due to using HDMI out to my Dell 24" monitor. For some reason after installing the BETA OS X decided that the monitor was a good place to send the sound output :confused:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 08.23.34.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 08.23.34.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 270

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
In case this thread gets pinned:

Solutions:

Remove "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/InstantOn.driver"

if problem persists or you don't have this Plug-In:

Try opening Audio/MIDI setup, right-click built-in Output / Headphones and select Use This Device For Sound Output

OMG Thank you so much!!! Yes someone pin this. I was about to reinstall Yosemite cause my system would lock up for unknown reason. Then I realized that it only locks up when a sound was trying to play.

dan44

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
Switzerland
Other solution for Parallel Access users

I did not have that audio driver but experienced exactly the same issues. I had to remove Parallels Access even it was not running. Follow this guide to completely uninstall Parallels Access: http://kb.parallels.com/en/117142

This solved all my beachball problems.

aiglesia

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
San Diego
I have the same problems no output in system settings and if I open audio midi setup it doesn't even show my speakers there. As for the driver no such path exists. I'm on a MacBook air

ay0503

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Still problem

Ok i have tried everything here from every reply from instantonhaldriver delete to right clicking the internal speaker but in the audiomidi setup i have no speakers at all and even with the headphones plugged in there are no speakers

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-08-29 18.16.30.png
    Screenshot 2014-08-29 18.16.30.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 305

HenryChang

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
still no audio

The problem I have is slight variation on what's already been expressed.

My system doesn't have the (/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/InstantOn.driver) file, so I can't remove it.

In audio midi setup I can select and see my speakers (and can also see them in system preferences) and can theoretically adjust 'volume' but no sound comes out of either the internal speakers. I've also tested usb speakers, audio through HDMI, and the headphone jack - none of them work.

However in audio midi setup when I click on configure speakers, I can test and hear sound coming out of it, as do normal sound effects (such as sending an email).

I've reset the SMC, PRAM, and re-installed Yosemite to no avail. A clean installation is my next (and last option) but I wanted to see if there were any alternatives.

Any ideas?

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Was just about to say the same thing. Didn't even need to restart. Just renamed my /Library/Audio to /Library/Audio.old and it started working pretty much straight away.

My audio on the Public Beta version of the GM sounded like crap, so I did this, and if fixed it! Thanks!

Momat32

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2015
How to remove Library file?

Sorry to be a computer Neanderthal, but how do I remove "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/InstantOn.driver" ?

hcorr001

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
Oh my. I have been strruggling to fix this problem for 8 hours. Trying not to cry in the library with my university computing homework deadline looming and a sudden issue with my audio. I literally just made an account to say that. Yay

Reactions: ErikGrim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.