Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
iOS 7.1 introduced a new bug (that I reported to Apple during the beta) that dealt with the inability to delete a subscribed calendar.

It's still there -- and worse than it was during the beta.

Just thought everyone would like to know...

Reactions: !!!

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Subscribed calendars only... Subscribe to a calendar via. iCloud; then try to delete same calendar on your device.

iOS 7 works; 7.1 doesn't offer the ability to delete the calendar.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I'm having the same problem. My subscribed calendar is showing in the OTHER section and there is no option to delete it. :(

That new "Other" Calendar is a new "feature". They auto-add a regionally appropriate calendar -- which doesn't appear on your Mac -- to your iphone/ipad. I already had a US Holiday calendar, now I have two.

I bitched about that exact issue in a bug report during the beta too, and was ignored.

HOWEVER, the bigger issue is that now NO calendars (that are subscribed) are able to be deleted.

Reactions: Oberhorst

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
iOS 7.1 introduced a new bug (that I reported to Apple during the beta) that dealt with the inability to delete a subscribed calendar.

It's still there -- and worse than it was during the beta.

Just thought everyone would like to know...

I don't use iCloud calendars , but can't you remove them in the calendar app by choosing edit then select the calendar then scroll all the way down and tap delete calendar?

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I don't use iCloud calendars , but can't you remove them in the calendar app by choosing edit then select the calendar then scroll all the way down and tap delete calendar?

That's the bug.

There is no delete button.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm getting a little off-topic here, but how do you get to the holiday calendar?

Edit: After reading the posts below, it seems that this calendar is not available with the region set to NZ. If I choose for example Australia or Japan then it shows up. I don't know whether this was an oversight, or whether Apple didn't want to have to deal with our province-specific holidays.

Last edited:

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
That's the bug.

There is no delete button.

You do not have this option?

tanyba6e.jpg

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
So that's why I had 2 UK Holiday calendars.
Actually the one they auto added is not as good as my subscribed one. :mad:
Guess I'll just have to hide it if it can't be deleted.

I deleted my subscribed calendar under settings>mail,contacts,calendar>accounts(top one)

mc21

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2013
I'm having similar issues. I'm subscribed to 2 US Holiday calendars. Oddly enough only have the duplicates on my iphone so I've turned off the new one added by the update until they fix the bug allowing me to remove it.

crookadile

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2013
Rotherham South Yorkshire UK
I deleted my subscribed calendar under settings>mail,contacts,calendar>accounts(top one)

That option only works for your subscribed calendars. It doesn't work for the one Apple included in the update. You can only hide it.

----------

No. Not for any of my subscribed calendars, nor the apple generated one. Strange that you do.

Me neither. I would love that option so I could get rid of the Apple generated calendar.

odysseus

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
I'm confused. Once I upgraded my MBP-retina to Mavericks, I found that I had *two* "US Holidays" calendars -- one that I subscribed to, and another that apparently resided "On My Mac". I was able to delete the latter.

However, on my iPhone 5S running iOS 7.1, I have *two* "Us Holidays" calendars, to both of which I am subscribed, and I am unable to delete *either* (there's no delete button).

OK, so now I see what I had to do: Mavericks doesn't include an Apple-generated "US Holidays", correct? So I had to store the one I had manually subscribed to on "On My Mac" (and not on iCloud) so that it wouldn't be synched to my phone. For some reason, even that one couldn't be deleted from my iPhone.

It looks like subscribed calendars that are stored on iCloud are not deletable from one's iPhone; the only solution is to remove it from iCloud on your Mac.

Last edited:

crizzly

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2014
Update is applying a non-removable subscribed calendar based on your Region Format. There is no delete button when inspecting through the calendar app. Subscribed calendar does not show under accounts in settings. The Holiday calendar option does display under under Fetch New Data settings.

lbEACl5l.png

qoprrqYl.png

t6OtgArl.png

2o1r1pjl.png

------------------------------------------------------------

I found the only way to remove this calendar from displaying is to change your region format. I changed mine to U.S. Virgin Islands. Format seems largely the same but no extra holiday calendar present.

r7x4r9sl.png

DY27Q1Bl.png

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Isn't this a good thing? Who doesn't want to know when public holidays etc are?
I just wish they would simply add coloured dots to the month view instead of grey. It would be much more useful at a glance!

crizzly

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2014
For many people it will be a nice addition. I have my own Holiday calendar subscribed through iCloud which I prefer over this Apple supplied one.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I just wish they would simply add coloured dots to the month view instead of grey. It would be much more useful at a glance!
It's nice, but not so nice not to have a choice about it.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California

Federal holidays are one thing, but I don't need the religious holidays on my calendar...and adding all that automatically without even asking the user :(

SkidMD

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
San Francisco
ical subscribed holiday calendar duplicate

The source of my duplicate subscribed holiday calendar seems to come from:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5029

(you have to do it on your mac and then tell it to push out to the cloud - which sends it to your devices...)

Yet, even when I deleted my iCloud account from my iPhone 5, the holiday calendar subscription remained. So, it lives on in my phone despite iCloud being removed. Nice touch, but I only need ONE holiday calendar, not two.....

Upshot: deleting your iCloud account won't remove it if you subscribed on your iPhone originally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.