Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
As a waze beta tester you are not allowed to share beta release notes or discuss the betas outside of the beta groups and centercode. Advise keeping that to yourself. It will find its way out in other ways

‍I was trying to post a shrugging man emoji here, I guess MacRumors doesn't support them. (facepalm emoji)

He’s the beta police :)

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Unless Apple change the rules Waze/Google won't be able to ship a version using iOS12 APIs until 12 is release publicly. The most a dev can do is fix bugs by altering their usage of existing APIs to prevent crashes/bugs in the iOS beta. It's always been this way. (though I have seen iOS features ship a day or two early in 3rd party apps on occasion)

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
He’s the beta police :)
I had to laugh at that one as pretty much every post in the iOS 12 forums on MacRumors violates Apple's NDA on discussing betas. I suspect Apple will never enforce because someone there is coming through these forums to check on bugs and fixes.
[doublepost=1529352317][/doublepost]
Unless Apple change the rules Waze/Google won't be able to ship a version using iOS12 APIs until 12 is release publicly. The most a dev can do is fix bugs by altering their usage of existing APIs to prevent crashes/bugs in the iOS beta. It's always been this way. (though I have seen iOS features ship a day or two early in 3rd party apps on occasion)
yeah, they all start slipping in earnest about the Friday after Labor Day here in the US.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
While it seems apps can update to fix problems under iOS 12 (like Twitter apparently did yesterday), I don’t think they can introduce new features based on iOS 12 APIs yet. I really don’t expect to see Waze on CarPlay until September. If it were, the demand for the iOS public beta would likely be off the charts and I think Apple wants to manage that a bit.

TwitchyPuppy

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2016
Canada
After watching todays event, I quickly updated my iPhone to iOS 12 Beta. Then went to my car which has Apple Car Play in it.

To my disappointment WAZE did not show up in CarPlay like I expected. I do have WAZE installed on my phone.

Am I missing something? My car is a 2018.

Yeah, you're missing the official release, which will then be when Waze will be compatible with CarPlay (as announced in the WWDC).

Last edited:

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Yeah, you're missing the official release, which will then be when Waze will be compatible with CarPlay (as announced in the WWDC)
Unless Waze decides to do a beta before release. Which would be the most popular beta ever I suspect.

Hopefully the tone of this answer is a little better than the sarcasm above

TwitchyPuppy

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2016
Canada
Unless Waze decides to do a beta before release. Which would be the most popular beta ever I suspect.

Hopefully the tone of this answer is a little better than the sarcasm above
It would definitely be popular! I don't know if people should hold their breath, though. I wouldn't risk it, that's for sure!

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I have two routes to work, every time I leave I let Waze choose the route. Can’t tell you how many times it has rerouted me real time and saved my a lot of time sitting in a backup.

But how does it have routes that are not available to Apple or Google? Those each perform reroutes as well.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Really don't get the craze for Waze.

I have two routes to work, every time I leave I let Waze choose the route. Can’t tell you how many times it has rerouted me real time and saved my a lot of time sitting in a backup.

Agreed. It's the least aesthetically pleasing when compared to Apple and Google Map but its routing consistently provides the most accurate travel time estimates and optimal routes. Every time I've challenged the routes down obscure little roads to avoid delays, I've been proven wrong.

And I'm not going to lie, having crowd sourced speed trap locations has saved me on a few occasions.
[doublepost=1530056212][/doublepost]
But how does it have routes that are not available to Apple or Google? Those each perform reroutes as well.

It just seems to plan routes around traffic difficulties better than Apple or Google Maps. And the traffic data seems more accurate and timely. I've been on roads that Apple or Google show as free of traffic backups yet are at a standstill and Waze consistently reflects this, at least in my city.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Really don't get the craze for Waze.

Really?

It’s the only app with incredibly accurate real time traffic updates and routing based on that.

And I’m sorry, but I drive over the speed limit, and the police notification feature has saved me on SO many occasions.

I prefer Apple Maps from a visual perspective WAY more than any other mapping app. And lane guidance has been spot on when I’m in a new city...didn’t realize how much I would love or actually need that feature until I’m traveling I known roads with complicated highway intersections.

Reactions: Jimpilot

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Really?

It’s the only app with incredibly accurate real time traffic updates and routing based on that.

And I’m sorry, but I drive over the speed limit, and the police notification feature has saved me on SO many occasions.

I prefer Apple Maps from a visual perspective WAY more than any other mapping app. And lane guidance has been spot on when I’m in a new city...didn’t realize how much I would love or actually need that feature until I’m traveling I known roads with complicated highway intersections.

Well said. I however never speed (but I do have a bridge for sale )

Reactions: MozMan68

Elwots

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
I don’t know how true this is, but I’ve heard that Apple doesn’t want app developers updating their apps based on beta software.

Reactions: CopyChief

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I don’t know how true this is, but I’ve heard that Apple doesn’t want app developers updating their apps based on beta software.

I don’t think they allow apps in the App Store that use SDKs from non-released versions. They tend to relax that in the week or so before release in September, as a lot of apps start supporting the new iOS version then.

Reactions: CopyChief

rvidra71

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2018
I don’t think they allow apps in the App Store that use SDKs from non-released versions. They tend to relax that in the week or so before release in September, as a lot of apps start supporting the new iOS version then.

At least CarPlay is still working for you. They seem to have broke it for my 2018 Acura TLX. None of the other betas in 11 had any trouble but no matter what I try with ios12 CarPlay will not initialize. I am on a iPhone X

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Waze relies on crowd sourcing accident reports, police, back ups, etc. If I remember correctly, Google Maps gets some of it's data from Waze users now, but Waze seems to be the most proactive.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
At least CarPlay is still working for you. They seem to have broke it for my 2018 Acura TLX. None of the other betas in 11 had any trouble but no matter what I try with ios12 CarPlay will not initialize. I am on a iPhone X
CarPlay "works" for me, but pretty erratically. I get the "reverse" disconnect from time to time. Also, there are a lot of times my car does not recognize my phone. I've had to reboot the phone, restart the car, etc... to get it working. I'm ok with that, as I signed up for it. But I understand your frustration: its one thing for problems, its altogether another thing for complete non-functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.