Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
I had to go back to 11.4 due to all of the issues with CarPlay. With summer travel if full swing, I cannot have issues with maps, etc. I continued to have the maps disappearing every time my lane watch camera came on, and occasional freezing of the screen. I'll give it another go after a couple more PB cycles.

Reactions: Arni99

originalmagneto

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2015
Slovakia
Nope, I'm testing both. Neither does google map or any other non-Apple map show up on CarPlay.

Hm, I thought that they would be testing CarPlay in Waze by now...since they have android auto and ford sync integrations, i imagine CarPlay cant be that difficult to implement by this time...

Reactions: cmeisenzahl

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Hm, I thought that they would be testing CarPlay in Waze by now...since they have android auto and ford sync integrations, i imagine CarPlay cant be that difficult to implement by this time...

You probably hit on exactly why we’re not seeing it. It is not hard to implement, hence little need to test it.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
You probably hit on exactly why we’re not seeing it. It is not hard to implement, hence little need to test it.

Seriously...it really has nothing to do with CarPlay outside of letting Waze and Google have access.

All of the work is on Waze and GOogle's side to make sure their apps work with CarPlay, not the other way around.

Reactions: gwhizkids

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Seriously...it really has nothing to do with CarPlay outside of letting Waze and Google have access.

All of the work is on Waze and GOogle's side to make sure their apps work with CarPlay, not the other way around.
If Apple has opened up access on the Beta, they may be saving for higher number beta :apple:

Reactions: Statusnone88

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
If Apple has opened up access on the Beta, they may be saving for higher number beta :apple:

But why would they??

They are only opening up CarPlay to accept new apps. Only people wanting to utilize Google Maps or Waze would care...so, Google and Waze care, but as long as their apps follow the CarPlay rules and terms...

And yeah...I know a bunch of users want access, but you'll just have to wait until the new version comes out in mid-September.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
But why would they??

They are only opening up CarPlay to accept new apps. Only people wanting to utilize Google Maps or Waze would care...so, Google and Waze care, but as long as their apps follow the CarPlay rules and terms...

And yeah...I know a bunch of users want access, but you'll just have to wait until the new version comes out in mid-September.

Didn't say they did or didn't, just pointing out a possibility. Since we don't know what is going on really, all options are possible

But a beta of Waze is a possibility too, which would mean hopefully before September.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Didn't say they did or didn't, just pointing out a possibility. Since we don't know what is going on really, all options are possible

But a beta of Waze is a possibility too, which would mean hopefully before September.

I asked the same question earlier...but no...apps won't have access to being utilized in iOS 12 or CarPlay until general release in the Fall. I wish there was a workaround, but there isn't.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
I asked the same question earlier...but no...apps won't have access to being utilized in iOS 12 or CarPlay until general release in the Fall. I wish there was a workaround, but there isn't.
If that’s the case then you’re saying Apple isn’t turning on access to CarPlay then. Because Waze could certainly come out with a beta if they wanted. But isn’t the purpose of the beta to allow developers to test their apps on the new version. I could see not turning it on for the public beta but the developers sure would need test access

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
If that’s the case then you’re saying Apple isn’t turning on access to CarPlay then. Because Waze could certainly come out with a beta if they wanted. But isn’t the purpose of the beta to allow developers to test their apps on the new version. I could see not turning it on for the public beta but the developers sure would need test access

I'm not sure what type of access Google or Waze has to Apple software for development, but sure, I imagine they have to have something to help in developing the apps for release.

And I don't think Apple would have announced both would be available on CarPlay without telling them first... ;)

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I'm not sure what type of access Google or Waze has to Apple software for development, but sure, I imagine they have to have something to help in developing the apps for release.

And I don't think Apple would have announced both would be available on CarPlay without telling them first... ;)
LOL, I thought about that as they were presenting. "Hey, surprise, Google! We're including your app in CarPlay." No...I think it went more like: "Google, how much will you pay us to include your app in CarPlay?"

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I have an aftermarket KENWOOD head unit installed in my vehicle with the HDMI Apple adapter, so I’ve always had Waze using CarPlay since 2016. I will say with the iOS 12 beta, my GPS isn’t working correctly so it takes a few minutes to give me directions and sometimes it will stop working in the middle of a drive.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
LOL, I thought about that as they were presenting. "Hey, surprise, Google! We're including your app in CarPlay." No...I think it went more like: "Google, how much will you pay us to include your app in CarPlay?"

I'm sure there are some limitations applied.

If Apple is successful in implementing the Map changes announced on Friday, they will be the standard go to map in CarPlay anyway.

I'm liking their confidence to allow Google and Waze access at the same time. We'll see how well they are really integrated in September. The good news, no matter what happens, I'm getting where I want to go with less issues!

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
After watching todays event, I quickly updated my iPhone to iOS 12 Beta. Then went to my car which has Apple Car Play in it.

To my disappointment WAZE did not show up in CarPlay like I expected. I do have WAZE installed on my phone.

Am I missing something? My car is a 2018.

Really looking forward to this myself.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
At least CarPlay is still working for you. They seem to have broke it for my 2018 Acura TLX. None of the other betas in 11 had any trouble but no matter what I try with ios12 CarPlay will not initialize. I am on a iPhone X

It was working for me on Beta 1 and 2, but Beta 3 broke it. I have a VW and it won't connect.

xp84

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
CarPlay doesn’t just mirror the iPhone screen. It’s drawn on the car screen by the app. It requires the app to be updated to support it.

Exactly. And even the whole idea of actually drawing things to the screen is actually a new concept. I don't know why most people haven't noticed what CarPlay (so far) is and isn't for third party apps.

Look at all your third party apps on your CarPlay home screen. They're all simple audio players and unlike the actual software on your phone, they all have identical UIs which doesn't match the app, rather it's essentially a carbon copy of Apple's Music app UI. In a "Now Playing" view they're allowed to show a play/pause and two skip-x-seconds back/forward buttons or previous/next track buttons. They're allowed to show two lines of titles (such as song title + artist & album). A couple of buttons for repeat and shuffle if desired. And they can show a bar showing position in the track, and a cover art that will be zoomed, blurred and darkened to be barely recognizable.
th

They also can show a couple of tabs atop a table view that you use to select a thing to play, like so:

th

However the above is literally all anyone has ever had APIs to do. If Waze and anyone else is allowed to actually draw to the screen now, it's a whole different API that is brand new. Apple hasn't, as someone suggested, been blocking apps from doing something, they just haven't given apps any tools at all (other than audio apps) to do anything with this external screen.

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Guys this is really simple: Apple does not allow developers to submit apps to the App Store that use the iOS 12 APIs until the official release in the Fall. Therefore Waze, Google Maps, or any other app that wants to use the new CarPlay navigation API can't be released until then.

It's the same every year.

Reactions: Dwalls90

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Guys this is really simple: Apple does not allow developers to submit apps to the App Store that use the iOS 12 APIs until the official release in the Fall. Therefore Waze, Google Maps, or any other app that wants to use the new CarPlay navigation API can't be released until then.

It's the same every year.

I think everyone realizes this. But there is the possibility that beta versions of software may be allowed to do this. Especially if beta tested via FlightTest.

Reactions: Feenician

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I just came home from a 4500km road trip in Europe. I have and iPad mounted on the dash used for Google maps. In the hu I have Carplay and Apple Maps. I can’t believe how low in features Apple maps is. For example search for X on tge route. This works perfect in Google maps but not at all in Apple maps.
When we get Google Maps in Carplay I will never go back to Apple maps.

Reactions: g-7

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I just came home from a 4500km road trip in Europe. I have and iPad mounted on the dash used for Google maps. In the hu I have Carplay and Apple Maps. I can’t believe how low in features Apple maps is. For example search for X on tge route. This works perfect in Google maps but not at all in Apple maps.

Waze does it as well (better than Google imho) and it is my biggest criticism of Apple Maps.....but...I wouldn’t assume Apple Maps won’t have this feature soon. Part of owning their own data is to be able to add features like this.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

Waze does it as well (better than Google imho) and it is my biggest criticism of Apple Maps.....but...I wouldn’t assume Apple Maps won’t have this feature soon. Part of owning their own data is to be able to add features like this.

This may be geographic too. Right now, if I’m on a routing here in the US, I can say “Are there any Starbucks along my route?” and it will show them.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
This may be geographic too. Right now, if I’m on a routing here in the US, I can say “Are there any Starbucks along my route?” and it will show them.

In Maps??

I guess I’ve never tried that. I always just go to the menu and see what’s close.

And it’s always lame restaurants I would never stop at. I just want to know if there’s a Chick Fil A along my route. ;)

Waze has always been best at this for me for some reason. One would think Google as well, but the results seem to change every time I enter the same request...or it did in the past....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.