Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I'm behind the times having just upgraded the family from 6 series to 11 series.

While I went to the 11, my wife went from a 6 to an 11 Pro. This is the first time that I've become aware that the Zoom Display mode went away.

She's having a difficult time reading some text were she wasn't before, so to her this is a downgrade as a visual experience. Is there some work-around that I should be aware of? We've messed with font scaling but with minimal success. The size is perfect for her and the 11 a bit large, so it would seem there is now no current phone for her.

Reactions: Breezygirl

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
No, it’s still there! Click settings>Display and Brightness and scroll all the way to the bottom. “Display zoom.”

That's exactly where it is on my 11 but not on her 11 Pro.

I just compared our XR, 11, 6, and 6 Plus. It's there for all of them but not her 11 Pro.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Isn't display zoom only on the larger iphones?

It's on her regular sized 6 so I definitely expected it on the 11 Pro.

Hmm. I’m on an 11 Pro Max and see it. Can you post a screen shot of the menu where it should be?

aRKd6VXl.jpg

Reactions: miamialley

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Only iPhone 11 and 11 Pro Max have it. 11 Pro doesn’t.

Has Apple ever commented on this? If the 6 did (don't know about 7 or 8) I don't see why the 11 Pro (and X / XS) would not.

What a crappy thing. Pay $1000 for a new phone and wind up having a more difficult time viewing it than the 5 year old smaller model.

Reactions: Breezygirl

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Has Apple ever commented on this? If the 6 did (don't know about 7 or 8) I don't see why the 11 Pro (and X / XS) would not.

What a crappy thing. Pay $1000 for a new phone and wind up having a more difficult time viewing it than the 5 year old smaller model.

Wow, that is bizarre.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
The X, XS and 11 Pro don’t have zoom as there’s no ready made smaller version to scale to.

iPhone 6 and 6s etc scaled to the size of the 5 and 5s, the plus phones scaled down to the size of the regular 6 7 8 etc, the Max scales down to the X and XS etc but the X and XS don’t have a smaller phone in the same proportion to scale to.

Yeah apple COULD do it but I guess it’s just a bit harder for them?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
That is bizarre - thanks for pointing this out. You're still within the return period.

Yeah but nowhere to go with it.

She's not down for something a couple generations old. The new camera improvements are a big deal to her. There's no way she's carrying a Max.

It sucks. She'll just spend $1000 and be dissatisfied, which isn't ever a good feel.

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
Yeah but nowhere to go with it.

She's not down for something a couple generations old. The new camera improvements are a big deal to her. There's no way she's carrying a Max.

It sucks. She'll just spend $1000 and be dissatisfied, which isn't ever a good feel.

I use the zoom feature and love it on my Max. I’m also a girl who never thought I’d carry the Max but it’s all I can use now. It’s huge but that’s why I love it! Took some getting used to (text typing, photo taking, and handheld scrolling) but now that I’m used to it I can never go back. Her options are to get used to a bigger phone (which isn’t that bad! and trust me, I have small hands and use mini purses haha), or she can get used to the un-zoomed appearance of her phone. Either choice she makes, she’ll get used to it over time. And yes, definitely don’t downgrade. Keep the 11.

Reactions: brentsg

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I use the zoom feature and love it on my Max. I’m also a girl who never thought I’d carry the Max but it’s all I can use now. It’s huge but that’s why I love it! Took some getting used to (text typing, photo taking, and handheld scrolling) but now that I’m used to it I can never go back. Her options are to get used to a bigger phone (which isn’t that bad! and trust me, I have small hands and use mini purses haha), or she can get used to the un-zoomed appearance of her phone. Either choice she makes, she’ll get used to it over time. And yes, definitely don’t downgrade. Keep the 11.

People who go for the larger screens rarely seem to regret it. It's hard to go back to a small(er) screen.

Reactions: Peter K.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
People who go for the larger screens rarely seem to regret it. It's hard to go back to a small(er) screen.

I was totally down with my 6+ but now thst they are half pound phones it’s not happening. It just isn’t comfortable in my shorts pocket if nothing else. I’ll just live with a cheaper phone. I’m honestly missing my 6 Plus.

I’ve hit a point that each new Apple device is a little worse for me, Mac Mini and Apple TV as exceptions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.