Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I did. Hopefully I made the cut-off. 1M is a lot of users, though.

I am wondering if they let more than 1M sign up. It's possible that they took the page down once they hit 1M.

EDIT: The sign up page is still accessible.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I signed up. The website was very sluggish and took forever to go from step to step, but I made it, methinks. I was told I'd get an email when the beta was ready.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I did. I'm considering putting it on my 09 MBP. My late-13 is my main machine that I use for school, so I'll wait for the main release for that one even though it would run better.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I am registered, but they don't even have 10.9.4 beta available yet, let alone a public 10.10 beta.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Use the Mavericks Seed Configuration Utility!
:confused: WTF is that? (I don't have it, 10.9.3 installed).

...I signed up, no email yet, but, if developers already have it, what's the wait for??

ALSO, what about iOS 8? I'd like to try it out on my iPad mini (but not my iPhone 5 this time). I've tried to find a beta sign up for iOS 8, but can't find it. :confused:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

...I signed up, no email yet, but, if developers already have it, what's the wait for??

ALSO, what about iOS 8? I'd like to try it out on my iPad mini (but not my iPhone 5 this time). I've tried to find a beta sign up for iOS 8, but can't find it. :confused:

That is what allows you to see updates to Mavericks, they started this back in ML. Install the seed utility and all beta updates show in the MAS under updates. You almost never had to visit the developer portal except for initial downloads, after that it's all "OTA" or "OVI" like iOS.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

There is no public beta for iOS 8.

The public beta of 10.10 is different from the developer preview. Considering how buggy 10.10 DP1 is right now, they're probably waiting to release a more complete build to the public.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Not the same thing

There are two beta/preview programs:

1. public beta's (like the 10.9.4) for OS X Mavericks - sign up for it for free and check you app updates. The public beta/preview for OS X Yosemite will arrive this (?) summer.
2. developers previews iOS8 / OS X Yosemite - Pay $99 for it, get redeem code and download it from the app store

~ Cheers

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I signed up for the public beta, and got the message saying "Thanks for signing up for the OS X Beta programme. We will email you when OS X Yosemite Beta is available for download" i'm hoping this means i'm in the beta programme.

I have backed up my Macbook Pro to an external time machine hard drive, will i be ok to download it over my Mavericks or should i create and entirely new partition? i'm hoping it will be ok to download over my Mavericks, and then when the "public" version is released later this year i can download and install it over the beta version.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!

The wait is no doubt so that developers can help iron out the majority of issues before those that are less 'tech-savvy' get to mess with it.

The current version is not suitable for the general public. I think that we're going to see a few more developer releases before you get that download link.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
i'm hoping it will be ok to download over my Mavericks, and then when the "public" version is released later this year i can download and install it over the beta version.

Just for the record, it's a bad idea to install a beta OS on your primary machine.

At least install to a separate partition or external drive.

If you do choose to proceed with the beta on your primary, I strong recommend you take a clone of your drive/data beforehand and set it aside for safety.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
What? I went to the Appleseed developer site, registered, snd downloaded the feedback tool. There was no other option to download anything else.

As BDM STUDIOS clearly stated:

The developer preview is NOT for anyone besides devs. If you signed up for the consumer beta, you will NOT get the beta for some time. Apple stated that it will not be available until later in the summer.

I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
As BDM STUDIOS clearly stated:

The developer preview is NOT for anyone besides devs. If you signed up for the consumer beta, you will NOT get the beta for some time. Apple stated that it will not be available until later in the summer.

I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand.

I GET that! But Mr. RetroFire was exclaiming that there was some utility to download so I thought I had done something wrong. I realize that the public betas will come after the dev releases.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Just for the record, it's a bad idea to install a beta OS on your primary machine.

At least install to a separate partition or external drive.

If you do choose to proceed with the beta on your primary, I strong recommend you take a clone of your drive/data beforehand and set it aside for safety.

My Macbook isn't my primary machine, my iMac is, i have however backed up to an external hard drive via time machine, is that enough? obviously i don't want the beta to ruin my Macbook but i do have the time machine to revert back to.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
I got access to the beta program without applying. I have done a lot of bug reports in the past and been part of Apple Seed for a long time.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I wonder if the dev previews will be any different to the public ones. I signed up to the public one with my personal Apple ID even though I'm a dev (sorry if I took someone's spot in the 1,000,000... :eek: ) as Yosemite is so good from what I've experienced I want to run it on my main machine, and I think by the time it's public there'll be better support and less bugs.

I only develop for iOS at the moment so I just used Yosemite to play with rather than actually test any apps, but it really is great. A bit slow running off a USB 2 HDD but useable nonetheless.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
My Macbook isn't my primary machine, my iMac is

Cool, just wouldn't want you to end up as one of those "I lost all my stuff!" people I'm sure we'll hear from. :cool:

Personally, I'd do an actual disk clone to ensure I had the system fully as-is, but that may depend on storage used and what sort of unused drives you have. TM I'd think should be fine for a secondary system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.