Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kay_bee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Hello,
I know that deep fusion feature is still on the way and it will improve the camera results.
But I see so many great reviews about camera already and my personal experience with camera is not too different from iPhone XS.

my photos are coming out too noisy. Am I the only one that experiencing this? Could this be a “my phone only issue”?

And when is the deep fusion getting released in beta?

I only have 14 days to return the phone ?

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
It's your phone, your eyes or your personal opinion. The camera and the quality of the shots are frankly the only reason to upgrade from the XS Max which I did.

Reactions: Footaxion

Kay_bee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Hmmm.
I will make an appointment at apple store and get this checked.
Thanks all

Reactions: Footaxion

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
OP, I’m with ya. Noisy pics compared to my XS. Husbands phone same. My guess is it’s due to the processing of lower lights photos and some overcompensation with trying to bring out the sharpness in the photos. It’s creating lots of digital noise. I’m a photographer so I notice these things immediately. The average user may not notice this at all. In fact, some may prefer the sharper but noiser image compared to the softer processing of the XS. I also notice that the images on the 11pro have more contrast which for me isn’t always visually pleasant. Some may argue you can edit the contrast or remove the noise with the new noise reduction slider in the photos app, but honestly that creates more time and processing to the photo which then diminishes other details in the photo you want to stay sharp. I’m not expecting pro results like my DSLR can do of course (that’s a given) but i guess I’m just super let down with the quality of these photos when it was so hyped up. I’m on the fence about returning. Mostly because I do see the improvement in the videos and the new night mode is really fun. And in IOS 13 we can at least edit the pictures to our liking. Is that worth the upgrade?.. I’m not sure. Just wanted to let you know I’m with ya on the noisy grainy images. In the past, improvements to the photo processing has come in subsequent updates so it’s possible we might see some cleaner images in the future. For now I’m going to keep experimenting with my 3rd party apps and see if I can get better results by manually controlling the ISO and aperture.

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
Is it noisy under all lighting conditions?

I find my indoor photos are kind of noisy. It's too light for night mode to kick in, but the lighting is too flat and dull to make a good picture.

Kay_bee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
It’s noisy indoor but with lots of light.
Some of the outdoor photos also I am noticing noise and don’t know why.

Reactions: ApplePieAlaMode

Kay_bee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Applepiealamode,
You described everything perfectly.
I am also a semi-pro photographer with dslr and I can’t stand noise.
In some cases it’s worst than XS.

Reactions: ApplePieAlaMode

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2014
Yes, I am a photographer as well and I noticed the same when compared to my Xs max and was wondering if I've gotten a lemon.

I took a picture of my son indoors in a dark room with a lamp on with both my Xs Max and 11 Pro Max and the Xs Max photo looked a lot better. The photo taken with the 11 pro max was not only more noisy but underexposed as well!

Also, the night mode icon would not show up when using the telephoto lens. It only works with the wide lens!

Do you think the quality of video is better on the 11 pro max? Also, I was wondering which 3rd party apps do you prefer for editing pictures?

Thanks so much!

OP, I’m with ya. Noisy pics compared to my XS. Husbands phone same. My guess is it’s due to the processing of lower lights photos and some overcompensation with trying to bring out the sharpness in the photos. It’s creating lots of digital noise. I’m a photographer so I notice these things immediately. The average user may not notice this at all. In fact, some may prefer the sharper but noiser image compared to the softer processing of the XS. I also notice that the images on the 11pro have more contrast which for me isn’t always visually pleasant. Some may argue you can edit the contrast or remove the noise with the new noise reduction slider in the photos app, but honestly that creates more time and processing to the photo which then diminishes other details in the photo you want to stay sharp. I’m not expecting pro results like my DSLR can do of course (that’s a given) but i guess I’m just super let down with the quality of these photos when it was so hyped up. I’m on the fence about returning. Mostly because I do see the improvement in the videos and the new night mode is really fun. And in IOS 13 we can at least edit the pictures to our liking. Is that worth the upgrade?.. I’m not sure. Just wanted to let you know I’m with ya on the noisy grainy images. In the past, improvements to the photo processing has come in subsequent updates so it’s possible we might see some cleaner images in the future. For now I’m going to keep experimenting with my 3rd party apps and see if I can get better results by manually controlling the ISO and aperture.

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
I’m loving the photo quality so far....
But maybe I’m just not that good at noticing the negative parts of a photo.... idk

Attachments

• BE1C5E8A-BAC9-4A02-B15E-8D1969D5F32C.jpeg
    BE1C5E8A-BAC9-4A02-B15E-8D1969D5F32C.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 932
  • D195504C-1D68-4A02-82FB-5585638B4435.jpeg
    D195504C-1D68-4A02-82FB-5585638B4435.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 897
  • E95421FE-778F-4CB5-A871-99CEA8A7C817.jpeg
    E95421FE-778F-4CB5-A871-99CEA8A7C817.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 918

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There were the same comments about the Xs when it was released. It depends on the scene and apple may need to tweak its' algorithms. 13.1 is coming tomorrow. We'll see what it brings.

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2014
Those photos look really nice! Did you edit them at all or are they straight out of camera?

I’m loving the photo quality so far....
But maybe I’m just not that good at noticing the negative parts of a photo.... idk

madfocused

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
My 11 Pro is having a weird issue where the ultrawide and Tele lenses have a green tint. I’m a photographer and I was on set today, I messed around and noticed it while switching camera modules. (The room was white.) I took a video of the modules switching and also three photos to show the issue. My wife’s phone and friends phone are also doing the same thing. Wondering if it’s a software or hardware issue. Super disappointed.

Attachments

• 7E79FAA5-581B-4BC3-8FBA-E8CC1683A66A.jpeg
    7E79FAA5-581B-4BC3-8FBA-E8CC1683A66A.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 545

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I would hope the camera is as good as the 10 Max. I think it should be, but if enough people say it isn't, perhaps there's a problem. We were led to believe this camera was an improvement, and we payed some money believing so.

This needs to be explored, obviously.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Could possibly be your phone? I’m nit having any issues with mine and I upgraded from An Xs Max. Pictures are coming out nice.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
My 11 Pro is having a weird issue where the ultrawide and Tele lenses have a green tint. I’m a photographer and I was on set today, I messed around and noticed it while switching camera modules. (The room was white.) I took a video of the modules switching and also three photos to show the issue. My wife’s phone and friends phone are also doing the same thing. Wondering if it’s a software or hardware issue. Super disappointed.
it must be a software issue, iOS 3.1 comes out tomorrow which should bring a lot of bug fixes to the OS.

madfocused

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
it must be a software issue, iOS 3.1 comes out tomorrow which should bring a lot of bug fixes to the OS.
While I hope it fixes it, it can certainly be a hardware issue. If apple doesn’t know what’s up with it then I’ll try to swap for a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.