Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I'm very impressed by the camera. Same as you, I also don't have any proof posted here. :p

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I’m no photographer either but when taking a ultra wide shot in the house there seems to be lack of detail or noise for objects in the distance.

But I took a ultra wide shot at the supermarket today and it looked excellent objects in the distance had no noise and were rather clear.

I’m going to try and take some shots tomorrow on the way to work.

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
Yes, I am a photographer as well and I noticed the same when compared to my Xs max and was wondering if I've gotten a lemon.

I took a picture of my son indoors in a dark room with a lamp on with both my Xs Max and 11 Pro Max and the Xs Max photo looked a lot better. The photo taken with the 11 pro max was not only more noisy but underexposed as well!

Also, the night mode icon would not show up when using the telephoto lens. It only works with the wide lens!

Do you think the quality of video is better on the 11 pro max? Also, I was wondering which 3rd party apps do you prefer for editing pictures?

Thanks so much!

I just noticed my night mode only works on the wide lens too. Not the telephoto or ultra wide. I need to research this a bit and see what’s up. Maybe that’s the only lens it works on?
I’m also curious to see if the IOS update tomorrow fixes anything. So normally I just use the camera app and export my images and edit in Photoshop. As far as third party apps. To be honest, I haven’t found a holy grail app I use, but Halide allows you to at least control the iso and shutter speed. Sadly my app is bugging out due to IOS 13 so I haven’t been able to test much. Waiting on an update. If anyone reading can recommend a good camera app they like with manual controls, let me know! Anyway, I’m so frustrated with this. It’s such a let down.
Edited to add: night mode is now working on telephoto but it’s intermittent. Very dark scene it comes on. Semi-dark the option disappears but is present on Wide. I have a feeling it’s only activated when the scene is super dark. Wish we had more control of that

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Night Mode works on my Telephoto.
If I point it towards a very low lit area Night Mode kicks in.

revenent

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
I thought noise with details retained is a better trade off compared to smooth and soft looking. I mean if i was comparing it to my FF camera then yeah no camera phone is squeaky clean for me

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Hello,
I know that deep fusion feature is still on the way and it will improve the camera results.
But I see so many great reviews about camera already and my personal experience with camera is not too different from iPhone XS.

my photos are coming out too noisy. Am I the only one that experiencing this? Could this be a “my phone only issue”?

And when is the deep fusion getting released in beta?

I only have 14 days to return the phone ?
Examples?

It is quite easy to share photos on here, especially with the new forum software.

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
What even is a 'noisy' photo

Asking for a friend.....
The best way to describe it is a grainy or peppered look to things. You’ll see it if you zoom in on the shadows, dark areas, and smooth walls. Like sprinkled pixels of different colors (if you zoom way in). A photographer can spot it in a second. It’s a common problem in low light photos, cameras with small sensors, cheap lenses, photos taken using high ISO, and software rendering or manipulation of photos in post processing. I’m leaning towards this being a software issue in regards to the iPhone 11pro where Apple is processing the images to be sharper with more contrast, and more detail, but with the limitations of the sensor, it’s creating digital noise in the shadows and smooth surfaces of the images because of that. I’m hoping if enough people notice it and complain about it, they might address it in a software update but the fact that they added a noise reduction slider to the new photos app leads me to think they want the user to determine the level of noise they feel comfortable with and control it themselves. Vs. the XS where the noise was nicely controlled but gave a softer image.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
on dslr for night photo, its always a compromise between shutter speed and ISO provided the aperture is fixed. i noticed on s10 they went with longer shutter speed but low iso. so the image isn't too noisy but require you to stand still longer, i guess on the iphone they went with high iso and fast shutter speed.

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
on dslr for night photo, its always a compromise between shutter speed and ISO provided the aperture is fixed. i noticed on s10 they went with longer shutter speed but low iso. so the image isn't too noisy but require you to stand still longer, i guess on the iphone they went with high iso and fast shutter speed.
Ya I think that’s partially what they did. As well as some software rendering. I’ve been using the Metapho app to see what the ISOs are for some of the really noisy ones the ISO is bumped up quite a bit.

Reactions: Coffee_Time

odHbo

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
OP - Post your noisy photos. I’m very sure you’re doing something wrong.

Clazzee

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
I’ve noticed the same. Even in over cast day light the noise in each camera lens is disappointing. I’ve attached 6 phots below, first 3 in semi low light, last 3 with main in door lights on. The noise isn’t great... this is with the updated 13.1 update just now... camera defect or expectations too high?

the problem is today in the office, which has lot of natural light, the noise and processing on the image was worse than my iPhone 8...

Those experiencing noise do you have any examples?

FE49CBC1-9E67-488B-A876-7D7310117D30.jpeg
A576E910-E6ED-40EC-B627-AFF1D87D7CDB.jpeg
B894D740-49FA-45D6-B100-C9361F747ACD.jpeg
77D458F7-DCB1-41DF-81F6-E34EB9F41E27.jpeg
404AA831-8645-4AD5-B931-6A064C29A6B4.jpeg
F7076B8C-29E7-4508-BABE-07BD0E314BB5.jpeg

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
Here are some of my noisy examples: Both are taken under a patio in daylight along with stage lighting. One is taken with the ultra wide lens and the other with the telephoto lens. After looking up the stats on each picture it looks like the ultra wide shot had an ISO of 1000!!! And the telephoto pic has an iso of 800. Those are very high ISOs and of course they will create that kind of noise. Even my DSLR will produce noise at those ISOs. My question is, why is Apple bumping it that high for a scene that isn’t low light. I can understand if it was a dark room with no flash but these are bright scenes. You can see the color and brightness is great! But the noise is unacceptable. Zoom in to the singers skin, hat, and background to really see how bad the noise is. If you can’t see the noise or don’t think it’s bad, I envy you. My photographer-eyes can’t unsee this. And again, I know our phones should not replace a pro camera, I’m just commenting on the fact that these pics are much noisier than my XS and for all the hype surrounding this camera upgrade I expected more.

Attachments

• 4A148A44-CD09-4B4D-8A22-35733B060EBA.jpeg
    4A148A44-CD09-4B4D-8A22-35733B060EBA.jpeg
    614.1 KB · Views: 334
  • B258BAE4-F113-4910-A7BF-3429C2C701B3.jpeg
    B258BAE4-F113-4910-A7BF-3429C2C701B3.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 344
Reactions: Samantha124

Clazzee

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
iPhone 7
ABB4D866-DFEF-4139-842F-9C0D689A37C4.jpeg

iPhone 11 pro
252F2FD9-4971-495F-8083-E542078C33E6.jpeg

[automerge]1569361118[/automerge]
iPhone 11 pro night mode
76664BED-2A5D-4B3D-8E32-FDBEFA3AD2D1.jpeg

GerritB

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2018
I was wondering the same looking at my photo's. Photo's that are taken inside, but during daytime with plenty of sunlight still look very noisy. I wasn't the only one to notice as wanted to show a friend the new camera capabilities and he immediately said the same.

Then I see some great looking shots on here and other websites and I wonder what's going wrong.

Reactions: zokstar

CraigB1960

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Here are some of my noisy examples: Both are taken under a patio in daylight along with stage lighting. One is taken with the ultra wide lens and the other with the telephoto lens. After looking up the stats on each picture it looks like the ultra wide shot had an ISO of 1000!!! And the telephoto pic has an iso of 800. Those are very high ISOs and of course they will create that kind of noise. Even my DSLR will produce noise at those ISOs. My question is, why is Apple bumping it that high for a scene that isn’t low light. I can understand if it was a dark room with no flash but these are bright scenes. You can see the color and brightness is great! But the noise is unacceptable. Zoom in to the singers skin, hat, and background to really see how bad the noise is. If you can’t see the noise or don’t think it’s bad, I envy you. My photographer-eyes can’t unsee this. And again, I know our phones should not replace a pro camera, I’m just commenting on the fact that these pics are much noisier than my XS and for all the hype surrounding this camera upgrade I expected more.
No, they are noisy and soft, looks over-processed. Perhaps stabilization caused some of the softness. I've noticed that on my 10 xs Max as well. Hey, it is what it is, a decent point and shoot camera.

I still plan to get the 11 pro max to replace my 10 xs max. Even though I've shot professionally, my most recent DSLR is the Nikon D800e, I am now retired. I prefer lugging the iPhone around, it has served me well getting outstanding shots from it (with post processing).

I wish the camera provided full manual control as well as output RAW. I much prefer to do my own processing.

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
iPhone 7
View attachment 863224
iPhone 11 pro
View attachment 863225
[automerge]1569361118[/automerge]
iPhone 11 pro night mode
View attachment 863228
Wow that middle 11 pro pic is quite noisy. I much prefer the natural balance of your iPhone 7 pic. It’s darker but lends itself to the scene with minimal graininess. The iPhone 11pro pic is too brightened up (hence the noise). The night mode did a slightly better job. Of course, these are darker scenes so some noise is to be expected but I think the processing being done on the 11pro is just over the top. I think part of why they did this is because people in general, people like to see brighter pictures in low light with no motion blur. In order to do that the ISO needs to be higher so the shutter speed can be faster. This will inevitably cause the noise. I would much prefer a lower ISO and slower shutter speed to prevent the noise (which I think was more in line to what the previous models had).

Reactions: mi7chy

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
No, they are noisy and soft, looks over-processed. Perhaps stabilization caused some of the softness. I've noticed that on my 10 xs Max as well. Hey, it is what it is, a decent point and shoot camera.

I still plan to get the 11 pro max to replace my 10 xs max. Even though I've shot professionally, my most recent DSLR is the Nikon D800e, I am now retired. I prefer lugging the iPhone around, it has served me well getting outstanding shots from it (with post processing).

I wish the camera provided full manual control as well as output RAW. I much prefer to do my own processing.

Regarding my pic: the stage lighting gave the subject a very saturated look and I agree, over processed. But not by my doing. But like you said, hey it’s a decent point and shoot. Do you use any third party apps? I’ve been playing around with the Halide app and manually controlling the ISO and shutter speed and outputting RAW and I’m having better results with the noise. I prefer not to do that all the time but it’s always an option if you find yourself wanting that great shot and only an iPhone in your pocket (we’ve all been there right!).

CraigB1960

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Regarding my pic: the stage lighting gave the subject a very saturated look and I agree, over processed. But not by my doing. But like you said, hey it’s a decent point and shoot. Do you use any third party apps? I’ve been playing around with the Halide app and manually controlling the ISO and shutter speed and outputting RAW and I’m having better results with the noise. I prefer not to do that all the time but it’s always an option if you find yourself wanting that great shot and only an iPhone in your pocket (we’ve all been there right!).
No, but I will check it out for sure! Thanks for the tip! I've always used my DSLRs for planned shots and even vacation, but I really just want to carry my iPhone now. I need to experiment with some camera apps.

I think your analysis is correct, folks think a brighten "night time" photo is exposed correctly, when it is not. Apple is giving what they think folks want.

Reactions: ApplePieAlaMode

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
All that matters is the comparison to other phones. It's understandable that someone might expect more, as it was showcased. But it was showcased as they didn't have much else. There's the battery upgrade, which is pretty good. No complaints in those threads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.