Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you prefer?

• Notch

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • Dynamic Island

Votes: 124 69.3%

• Total voters

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m recently seeing big discounts on the iPhone 14, and I expect the price to go further down once the 15s get announced.

While I will wait and see what’s coming, it’s well known that all the iPhone 15s will abandon the notch in favor of the new Dynamic Island.

For the past year, I’ve had the sensation that I kinda prefer the notch (the narrower one in the 13s and 14s). I find it less intrusive, it’s static, and I’m familiar with it. On the other hand, the Dynamic Island is more visually appealing with those animations, but I’m not sure I will like them in the long run. Also, some people speculated that the constant animation of the DI could affect the OLED screen. And finally, I’m not sure I want a clock moving or a waveform every time I turn on the timer or use the voice notes.

That’s why I am really wondering if everyone prefer the Dynamic Island, or are there actually other people like me who kinda prefer the notch. And why is that?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Maybe it’s because I’ve been using a 14PM for as long as I have but there’s really no question. Dynamic Island has the benefit of being dynamic, moving a lot of animations that would normally be free-floating in the middle of the screen or providing information, in a non-intrusive way, that would otherwise be absent. I oftentimes forget that there’s actually dead space up there because of how well it works.

I was never a notch-hater and still think it’s hugely invisible once you get used to it but the ingenuity and utility built into the DI just makes it better, in my humble opinion.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I prefer the dynamic island. But I'd prefer the placement of where the notch was instead of where it is now. If it were the placement of the notch I think it would be much better.
Interesting idea, hadn't thought about that.

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I prefer the notch so far, the „Dynamic Island“ is too intrusive when using the phone in landscape orientation. At least with the notched phones I can view video content fully as long as it‘s not zoomed in.

Plus, what does the Dynamic Island really do? It expands to show timers… I mean it‘s neat, sure, but a far cry from anything revolutionary.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
iOS 17 doesn’t add a lot to the Dynamic Island, but I’ve found myself using it a lot more now. I can probably get used to a notch iPhone again, but at this point, I think I’m happier with the DI.

Reactions: maxrest and Populus

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Can't say I prefer either - they're both an annoyance and I'd much rather neither existed. The DI does add a bit of functionality (but it's more gimmick than genuinely useful stuff to me) but it's also probably the most annoying when using in landscape mode as it gets in the way even more than the notch did

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Dynamic Island is just prettier and more modern looking to me even without the added functionality. But, of course, it does have the added functionality. So yeah, Dynamic Island hands down.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Not a fan of either, I'm glad I'm still using older "normal" screens. If I had to choose, whichever takes up less space, which would probably be the notch.

Reactions: platinumaqua

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I never disliked the notched and for the most part I have always basically not noticed it.

I voted the dynamic island because It is definitely more modern and useful and visually appealing

Reactions: Populus

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
100% dynamic island. I really like how it has functionality as compared to the notch. I also didn’t mind the notch but like the dynamic island a lot more

Reactions: boswald

sailingHobbit

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2022
Germany
I prefer the notch since it takes up less screen space and does not put some stuff out of reach. Some stuff (e.g. timers on the lock screen and other things the DI is used for) are placed on the lower part of the screen on "notch"-iPhones which makes them easily accessible for one-handed use of the phone. But then: all iPhone 14 models (and 15 obviously as well) are to big for secure one-handed use anyway.

• Love
Reactions: koigirl and Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I prefer the notch since it takes up less screen space and does not put some stuff out of reach. Some stuff (e.g. timers on the lock screen and other things the DI is used for) are placed on the lower part of the screen on "notch"-iPhones which makes them easily accessible for one-handed use of the phone. But then: all iPhone 14 models (and 15 obviously as well) are to big for secure one-handed use anyway.
Well, that’s a point I hadn’t considered either. A very interesting one, especially for people who likes to handle the devices with just one hand. The pop-up menus such as “low battery” or “Accept or cancel” ones, are easier to reach if they are in the middle of the screen. They are less pretty or aesthetically pleasing than the Dynamic Island, for sure, but they are easier to reach.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The biggest thing I hate about the notch is people calling it the notch. I’ve always hated that nickname for some reason. It’s kind of related to the hate I have for people incorrectly quoting Steve Jobs (“you’re holding it wrong” is not something he ever said, much like Darth Vader never said “Luuuuuuuuke I am yooouuuuur faaaaather!”) or calling things iTouch, iWatch, iPencil, etc.

I’ve never been known to suffer fools gladly and will let them know as much when I run across them. It’s not my best personal quality. OP, this post is not aimed at you—I’m sure you personally didn’t come up with “the notch”. It’s really aimed at people who think things like smartphone screen real estate is a worthwhile thing to spend brain power on.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The biggest thing I hate about the notch is people calling it the notch.

OP, this post is not aimed at you—I’m sure you personally didn’t come up with “the notch”. It’s really aimed at people who think things like smartphone screen real estate is a worthwhile thing to spend brain power on.

Yeah, I know, actually I call it notch because that’s the way everyone calls it, and it’s the best way to communicate the idea of a portion of the bezel invading the screen area. But I could call it the Static Peninsula.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.