Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
On 26th August, I bought a Note 9. I was using an iPhone X (still have it), and wanted to try Android again (merely want more customization options).

After 2 full days of use, I returned the Note 9. I felt it was simply too large; actually more too tall (even with the one handed mode). But, I often wonder if this was because my muscle memory was just used to the iPhone X size.

During the return process, I went to an S9+. For the majority of the week, I have been using the device. In short, I really like the thing.

But, I am now thinking I should try the Note 9 again. And, this time, use it for much longer. Considering within a few days I am already comfortable with the S9+, maybe it is time to revisit the Note 9.

No question here per se'. Merely conversing...

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
On 26th August, I bought a Note 9. I was using an iPhone X (still have it), and wanted to try Android again (merely want more customization options).

After 2 full days of use, I returned the Note 9. I felt it was simply too large; actually more too tall (even with the one handed mode). But, I often wonder if this was because my muscle memory was just used to the iPhone X size.

During the return process, I went to an S9+. For the majority of the week, I have been using the device. In short, I really like the thing.

But, I am now thinking I should try the Note 9 again. And, this time, use it for much longer. Considering within a few days I am already comfortable with the S9+, maybe it is time to revisit the Note 9.

iPhone 7 user here and I'm pretty certain next year I'll return to android and the Samsung range but that very thing holds me back from the note phones. The size. Maybe it's not from a usability sense entirely but a pocketing perspective. I'm leaning toward a plus phone rather than the standard as I'm happy to try something in between the standard and the note phones.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland

Do you absolutely have to have the s pen?

If not, save your money and stick with the S9+.

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I personally think the size adjustment might be the biggest struggle.
Alas, at least you have a 14 window to 'try' the device.

PS: I hope we win tomorrow!

iPhone 7 user here and I'm pretty certain next year I'll return to android and the Samsung range but that very thing holds me back from the note phones. The size. Maybe it's not from a usability sense entirely but a pocketing perspective. I'm leaning toward a plus phone rather than the standard as I'm happy to try something in between the standard and the note phones.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

I say stick with the S9+ unless you absolutely need the features the Note 9 has like the stylus. Though the Note 9 and S9+ are expensive second devices to have. If you wanted to try the "best of Android," then you were better off with the OnePlus 6 at a fraction of the price?

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Brilliant point. Like when I had the Note 5, I probably will use it a maximum of 4 times, tops!
Certainly, something to think about...

Do you absolutely have to have the s pen?

If not, save your money and stick with the S9+.

Sackofnickels

Suspended
Jul 13, 2018

Since you are conversing, tell us your impressions. Are you deep into the Apple eco system? If so what have you gained vs lost by switching? Does the phone interact with Apple products? Have you found work arounds etc.

I played with a Note 9 today and the s9+. Very nice phones. I really like the rounded edges of the screen.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
As much as I would like to try a OnePlus device, or even a Pixel XL, it would be nice to be able to play with them in the shop (Atlanta, GA).
Alas, those are order online, wait, test it, and if not happy, return via the mail.

I say stick with the S9+ unless you absolutely need the features the Note 9 has like the stylus. Though the Note 9 and S9+ are expensive second devices to have. If you wanted to try the "best of Android," then you were better off with the OnePlus 6 at a fraction of the price?

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I personally think the size adjustment might be the biggest struggle.
Alas, at least you have a 14 window to 'try' the device.

PS: I hope we win tomorrow!

Yes, I’ve got to wait till next year for my upgrade so plenty of time to think about it!!

I hope so! Never easy for us these days! Liking the new coach?

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
On iOS:
  1. Last week, I turned off iMessage, to thus allow me to switch on the fly between iOS and Android
  2. FaceTime was hardly ever used, if at all, thus, no loss there
  3. As we all know, iOS just works; no trying this, or trying that. Lots and lots of app developers make apps with iOS in mind. Thus a rather simple and straight forward OS.
Android:
I have used Android in the past, thus my Google account had apps that I have paid for in the past.
Getting back into Android was rather straight forward. I did learn that TouchWiz/Samsung Experience, is MUCH better than it was years ago. Alas, I installed Nova Prime, as a standard first app to install. But, over the last 24 hours I have been playing with the default launcher for Samsung. Pretty good actually.

All that to say, both OS's work well and connect with all the devices and apps that I need for day to day functions.
I will add, I have an Apple Watch 3. And, do wish I could use it with my S9+. But, we both know that will never be an option. The S9+ connects to my car without issue, and all apps I used on my iPhone X, work. I am still monitoring the battery life, since this is Android after all. It will probably be a week or two before I can truly comment on the battery side of things...

Since you are conversing, tell us your impressions. Are you deep into the Apple eco system? If so what have you gained vs lost by switching? Does the phone interact with Apple products? Have you found work arounds etc.

I played with a Note 9 today and the s9+. Very nice phones. I really like the rounded edges of the screen.
[doublepost=1535836715][/doublepost]...thus far he is certainly changing things up, and forcing people to make a serious effort.
Albeit, I think it will be next season before we see the fruits of his labour.

Yes, I’ve got to wait till next year for my upgrade so plenty of time to think about it!!

I hope so! Never easy for us these days! Liking the new coach?

mous94410

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2015
On iOS:
  1. Last week, I turned off iMessage, to thus allow me to switch on the fly between iOS and Android
  2. FaceTime was hardly ever used, if at all, thus, no loss there
  3. As we all know, iOS just works; no trying this, or trying that. Lots and lots of app developers make apps with iOS in mind. Thus a rather simple and straight forward OS.
Android:
I have used Android in the past, thus my Google account had apps that I have paid for in the past.
Getting back into Android was rather straight forward. I did learn that TouchWiz/Samsung Experience, is MUCH better than it was years ago. Alas, I installed Nova Prime, as a standard first app to install. But, over the last 24 hours I have been playing with the default launcher for Samsung. Pretty good actually.

All that to say, both OS's work well and connect with all the devices and apps that I need for day to day functions.
I will add, I have an Apple Watch 3. And, do wish I could use it with my S9+. But, we both know that will never be an option. The S9+ connects to my car without issue, and all apps I used on my iPhone X, work. I am still monitoring the battery life, since this is Android after all. It will probably be a week or two before I can truly comment on the battery side of things...

[doublepost=1535836715][/doublepost]...thus far he is certainly changing things up, and forcing people to make a serious effort.
Albeit, I think it will be next season before we see the fruits of his labour.

I have an iPhone X and I’m really thinking to buy a galaxy S9+.
The battery life is a huge point for me. Which one of the two have the best battery life ?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
As much as I would like to try a OnePlus device, or even a Pixel XL, it would be nice to be able to play with them in the shop (Atlanta, GA).
Alas, those are order online, wait, test it, and if not happy, return via the mail.

Wait till the T-Mobile stores offer the 6T in stores since it will be one of their exclusive devices.
[doublepost=1535842163][/doublepost]
The battery life is a huge point for me. Which one of the two have the best battery life ?

From my experience, the S9+ has better battery life since it's a larger battery. Though I think the iPhone XS+ will beat the S9+ in battery life due to iOS 12 improvements and a beefier battery from Apple. So if you can wait, go XS+ and sell the X.

Reactions: Ladyc0524

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Why not the Note 9? It has insane battery life.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

This is a tough one, as Note devices do tend to be much heavier and larger than the S+ devices. You will always have to deal with it being a little unwieldy, some of us like it like that but it's not for everyone.

I would say stick to the S9+ and wait for the S10+. The S9+ is built to be a lot more consumer friendly.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
The note 9’s too huge for me. I prefer the body ratio of the S9+ but I heard that the battery life not really good...
The difference in size between the two is so small I doubt you'd notice once you adjust.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20180902-074443_Samsung Internet.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180902-074443_Samsung Internet.jpg
    855.4 KB · Views: 176

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
The difference in size between the two is so small I doubt you'd notice once you adjust.

That is true. Its not like going from an iPhone 8 to an 8 plus. That is a big change to get use to. Note 9 and s9 plus are pretty close in size. Slight difference yea, but no where near the above example.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
If you don't need the Note features keep the S9 Plus, personally I got the Note 9 because I had some Amazon credit from a previous Amazon mess up so I used that towards it making the price of the Note 9 almost the same as a new S9 Plus.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
I have the iPhone X, Samsung S9+, and the Note 9. The S9+ is the most comfortable to hold in my hand - the Note 9 the least. I don’t need the s-pen. The day-to-day performance between the S9+ and Note 9 is similar to me - even though the Note 9 has 8GB RAM.

I’ll be getting the new iPhone Plus model when it is released, but these days I’m really liking Android and Samsung has improved their software so much in the last few years.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
If only the Note 9 had a better processor than the S9 plus I would justify it as a potential purchase...since they are nearly the same except for s pen features which I enjoy on one of my tablets already.......I can’t justify the cost of getting one and I’m a Sammy fanboy.......guess I can lookout for the s10 or the foldable phone....most likely the larger version of the s10 since the foldable device will be a first generation device and I hate first generation devices typically. The Tab S4 could not happen once they got rid of that fingerprint reader for the iris scanner (also has outdated internals) that never functions well for me. Come on Samsung...next year should be better but I love my S9 plus and my other Sammy products!!!!

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
This week I have been using the S9+ solely, no touching of the iPhone X.
Thus far, I am used to it! Still on the fence to get the Note 9. Alas, I am now trying to wait till the Apple announcement next week, to see what gives.

All that to say, I am also now very fond of being able to customize MY phone, as I see fit.
To be honest, if Apple ever gave owners the power to customize at will, ALL other smartphone manufactures would have a financial problem on their hands...

Reactions: jr866gooner

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
Go with the Note 9. The S-Pen in my opinion is extremely underrated and gives the Note far more capability over the Galaxy. Remote control features aside, you can use the pen to draw and doodle, use it as a mouse and get in those hard to reach places when you've made an error in a text, hover over foreign text for translation, create GIFs and all those other cool things. It is no longer a gimmick, it is actually a very useful feature. That, plus the extra ram, bigger battery, better camera and more storage makes it a significantly better device than the Galaxy. The only issue is price. It's damn expensive. I went to the Samsung store last week and played around with the Note 9. Here in Australia it is retailing for just under $1,800AUD. Does anyone know if Samsung will reduce the price over time? I would rather get it through a contract with a carrier because I will save money in the long run as I still have to pay for a carrier service if I buy outright.

After playing with the Note 9, I went up the escalator to the Apple store to play with the X, and it's so bland in comparison with the Note 9. I know it's last year's iPhone and therefore the comparison is unfair, but I'm not expecting much better this year. This year is the first year I have lacked total interest in the new iphone unveil. I learnt after last year's unveil never to get excited about a new iphone again.

If I can get the Note 9 for a good deal with a carrier, I'm getting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.